Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

FatTrucker

Re:

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 am

Limbrooke wrote:The 2 page PAL N64 checklist harkens back to when the Retro Price Listings were 6 odd pages each. I think something worth adding that is from the RPL would be ranges of prices on a given game. I realize this adds a lot of work to the process even for a system such as the N64 but it would be a nice addition.
Only prob with that is price fluctuations would more or less instantly make the info out of date/wrong and give people unrealistic ideas about prices they are buying or selling the games for, which was exactly the problem with the Retro Price lists, they were largely meaningless and ebay on any given day is no barometer for future average values of anything so widely do the prices differ from one sale to another.

A simple key identifying levels of rarity would be sufficient without trying to attach arbitrary figures to stuff.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 am

We're most likely going to change the list to the top 100 games to own on the system. Certain systems have a ridiculous number of games and you can never fit them all on a single spread. Being recommended the best 100 games and have ratings for them is a lot more achievable. Obviously if the system has less than 240 titles we'll include them all, but this is probably the best thing to do in terms of consistancy.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:36 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Only prob with that is price fluctuations would more or less instantly make the info out of date/wrong and give people unrealistic ideas about prices they are buying or selling the games for, which was exactly the problem with the Retro Price lists, they were largely meaningless and ebay on any given day is no barometer for future average values of anything so widely do the prices differ from one sale to another.

A simple key identifying levels of rarity would be sufficient without trying to attach arbitrary figures to stuff.
Rarity however does not translate into value, not always. To completely discount a price range is a bit harsh, as it's meant to cover a certain area, not be as specific as a single price. I understand your position but generally speaking it's not hard to find a range a game will sell for and only over long periods of time do these become defunct.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We're most likely going to change the list to the top 100 games to own on the system. Certain systems have a ridiculous number of games and you can never fit them all on a single spread. Being recommended the best 100 games and have ratings for them is a lot more achievable. Obviously if the system has less than 240 titles we'll include them all, but this is probably the best thing to do in terms of consistancy.
Perfectly reasonable. I don't relish the thought of a 10 page checklist for Super Nintendo at all.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'