Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I WANT TO DO THE SPECCY ONE

actually I have no idea which speccy games are rare so would be hopeless

As Shaggy said to Fred
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:I WANT TO DO THE SPECCY ONE

actually I have no idea which speccy games are rare so would be hopeless

As Shaggy said to Fred
:lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 am

Nintendo 64 Collector's Guide, my thoughts...

PROS:

- Loved the large use of images particularly for the games and peripherals.
- Complete check list of PAL games - stroke of genius - very useful (perhaps you could include additional info though such as developer, publisher and year released)
- Top games to play, to import, and rarest titles - great idea for sections

CONS: (please remember this is feedback not criticism)

- Choice of games - top 5 games section was fine but the import and rarest games could have done with more in depth research. For example in the import section too many titles were missed off... why Nightmare Creatures (easily available on PS1) and Asteriods Hyper 64 (awful game) at the expense of the likes of Stunt Racer 64 or Battletanx 2... why not mention that Dobutsu No Mori is also known as Animal Forest? As for the rarest section, titles like Aidyn Chronicles, Gex 3, Knockout Kings 2000, Off Road Challenge and Aero Fighters Assault are all fairly easy to locate and at prices around the £5 mark. Titles like Stunt Racer 64 and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (both NTSC ex-rental only) are much harder to obtain.
- Perhaps you could have include a "5 games to avoid" section - e.g Superman 64, Aero Gauge, Knife Edge, California Speed etc.

On the whole, it's a great new section that gets a 7 out of 10 from me! :D

webding

Post by webding » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:07 am

Only just noticed this thread...I really like Nintendo, and I had an N64, but I thought the feature was very poor, especially in comparison to the rest of the magazine. As I said in the issue feedback thread, it seemed an absolute waste to have about two pages of actual 'readable' content spread over twelve pages.

It's all well and good saying that it took a lot of research, but that doesn't mean it's proportionally good, or actually any fun to read lists and look at photos of something we've all seen before. Likewise, people may say the rest of the mag is wordy, but it doesn't mean you have to go too far the other way to redress the balance. Besides, saying a magazine or book is "too wordy" is like saying an album is "a bit too musicy".

A few more features (even just a few paragraphs of interesting bits of info on the games/hardware, or why something in particular is rare) and a bit less space dedicated to photos and lists, and it would have been half decent. But as it is, it's a missed opportunity for me. It'll be interesting to see how future editions of it turn out though.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 am

The format will most likely be staying as it is, as if you start filling it with words you're going to end up with an article like everything else in the magazine. As that wasn't the intention of the feature, it's unlikely to change dramatically in later issues.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Read it today, thought it was alright. I'm not much of a fan of the N64, so that does bias my perception of it a bit.

In terms of content, the general intro piece didn't tell me a great deal of interest, but that's probably down to me having read much of it elsewhere and as mentioned, its not a favoured system.

The big list doesn't interest me, especially the way its laid out. If I was collecting, I'd rather have an A-Z handy. It could still have the titles colour coded for rarity.

Best bit was probably the Toplists (though I don't agree with the ordering of these either - there were much better games further down I'd have put in the top 5 spots), but the peripherals held some interest too.

So, I'm not raving about it, but I'm not hating it. A better system would probably skew it for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

zuluisgrate

Post by zuluisgrate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:19 am

Yeeeeeeeees mush!

Loved the new collector's article. I must confess to being one of "those" people who enjoys collecting old games as much as playing them - been collecting for eight years now and my collection necessitates a third bedroom! - so I'm thrilled to see RG taking an interest in this area. I was thinking about suggesting it on the forums for a while but didn't see a lot of point as I thought it'd be shot down by purists who only want to see articles about the games themselves rather than their current collectability / value.

I thought I knew most things about N64 collecting but there was quite a bit of information there I wasn't aware of, so a well-researched work. I personally would like to see current values printed - OK they will date, but I would still find this very interesting. But I would love to see this article become a monthly feature - along with Coin-Op capers it's certainly the most interesting new feature to me for some time.

On a related subject, I would love to see the box-out feature on other people's collections revived - that certainly held an interest for me, seeing what other collectors are interested in.
The Johninator
Why are there no good Operation Wolf conversions with lightgun support?!!

Old Skool 75

Post by Old Skool 75 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm

I really enjoyed the collectors guide. If you want to start collecting for a particular machine or would like to get the recommended titles it is an excellent place to read. I will be looking forward to more machines being featured here. I have to give a mention to how the article was set out. It looked great and was easy to follow.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:26 pm

i think its a great idea, now i want a master system one :D

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Yay, I really enjoyed the Collectors Guide - to be honest, I wouldn't complain if the whole mag was made up of this sort of thing - nice big pictures of cool stuff, and lots of nice lists :)

Big thumbs up from me.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:40 am

I really liked the collector's guide and I'm pretty excited about the things to come.
Though I'm not a N64 fan, the guide was very interesting and insightful and I especially liked the photos of all those rarities! Great work, guys! :mrgreen:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 am

It's not really for me as I'm not a collector and the N64 does not interest me in the slightest.

Still a decent enough read and there seems to be some enthusiasm for it so I'm happy enough to see it in the mag.

Besides I'm curious to see if it's the overall feature or the specific console used that meant that I wasn't overly fussed on it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:33 am

It was a great feature, not really lovin' the N64 but It has me looking forward to the Saturn/Dreamcast/Amstrad CPC collectors guide that may come in the future...

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:18 am

I thought it was a really good feature, interesting to read and I would like to see it continuing with other consoles, and computers.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 am

The 2 page PAL N64 checklist harkens back to when the Retro Price Listings were 6 odd pages each. I think something worth adding that is from the RPL would be ranges of prices on a given game. I realize this adds a lot of work to the process even for a system such as the N64 but it would be a nice addition.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'