Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:58 am

bensonrad wrote:I quite enjoyed the article, whilst I felt it was quite basic and knew most of the information in it. (but I obviously understand other readers may be investigating the console for the first time so it would need to be basic) I did like the list and the way it was split in to sections of rare - common. Was suprised at how many awful games are actually rare (likewise bit gutted that I sold off a fair few of those rare games for a quid or so recently, as I was unlikely to ever play them). The featured chap who collects says there are 400 odd games, but article says 200 and something. Is he refering to worldwide releases.

Not sure how the artcle would cope with consoles with vast game libraries. But I guess the Dreamcast may be a good candidate for a future edition.
The list is just PAL games.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Was expecting to hate it , but after reading think it's a jolly good idea. Particularly like the checklist for games , but one for peripherals too would have been nice. Good idea well implemented
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 am

I am a bit biased as I love the n64 , thought the sections on which games to import were a fantastic idea.....

although i would imagine there will be some people who will use it as a `which rom should I download for my emulator`

:oops:

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 am

Finished reading through the mag now and I have to say I really liked the N64 collectors article. I can see how the PAL listings will be helpful for people starting (or trying to finish) a collection and it fits perfectly with respect to the focus of the piece as a collectors article.

Looking forward to more of these on other systems.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:04 pm

I thought it was awful, but then I'm not the least bit interested in collecting (for any system).

Those people really into their collecting probably don't need the guide and those just starting out could find lots more info on the web. I also don't agree with the view that "most people on here are collectors", and I would be amazed if a high % of the wider readership are avid collecters.

Seems to me to be nothing other than a cheap way to fill pages, we have two full pages of games boxes photographed and another two full pages that are just a list of games, oh, and lets not forget another two full pages consisting of nothing but five N64 pics......

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:39 am

Well we knew that not everyone was going to be happy with the feature, but I assure you it's not a cheap way of filling pages. It took an insane amount of work from everyone involved to create it.

Still, I totally appreciate that if you're not interested in collection it's a big waste of space. Fortunately, there's plenty of other great content in the issue :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well we knew that not everyone was going to be happy with the feature, but I assure you it's not a cheap way of filling pages. It took an insane amount of work from everyone involved to create it.
Mm. Frankly, as Darran well knows, I wish Retro Gamer was less text-dense. It's probably the most weighty magazine I write for in terms of word count per page, and I feel some of the articles suffer in layout because of it (notably making-ofs). I think it's great when at least some of the articles have a bit of room to breathe, rather than shoving into tiny thumbnail images in amongst a sea of black text. Also, unless I'm having a senior moment, the mag's pretty much obliterated much of its standing copy, so it makes sense that some features will be more image-oriented (which also assists with magazine pacing).

I'm not too fussed about collecting nor articles about doing so, but I think the way the article was presented was spot-on.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 am

I enjoyed the guide - it turned out more informative and (even) introspective than I thought it would. There was very little new for me in there (though I was very surprised to discover that there are only 242 PAL N64 games, and I have 157 of them), but I'm looking forward to the C64 and Saturn guides.

That said, I don't agree with much of what was printed in RetroCollect's rarity guide. It's all over the shop. They've catagorised quite a few games as being rare, even though you can find them easily, in abundance and for a matter of pence. Don't agree with Excitebike 64, Mario Party and Mario Tennis being very common either. Took me a fair amount of effort to find those. Still, interesting stuff and I look forward to future collector guides.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:16 am

I like the idea with more images of the rare & best games and accessories for a system and look forward to the likes of amstrad, saturn, md & snes.

Do think the collectors check list is not needed or could be reduced in size or perhaps only list the "best of / must have" games for the featured machine.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 am

Roo wrote:They've catagorised quite a few games as being rare, even though you can find them easily, in abundance and for a matter of pence.
You realise those ratings refer to CIB copies, right?

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:26 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The same will no doubt be sad about the C64 one next month and the Saturn one the month after that.
I've got nothing against the article itself. Seemed ok, albeit a touch lightweight.

N64 followed by C64 followed by Saturn. You've successfully managed to pick 3 formats I couldn't give a monkeys about! Don't do a CD32 one, otherwise every idiot will start bidding against me ;)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 am

yeah, thought it was very good, liked it a lot, didn't know there were so many games for the N64, so good to see them listed like that
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:19 pm

pforson wrote:N64 followed by C64 followed by Saturn. You've successfully managed to pick 3 formats I couldn't give a monkeys about! Don't do a CD32 one, otherwise every idiot will start bidding against me ;)
If someone wants to do a Speccy one to counter the C64 one, then they can volunteer... I merely mentioned I'd be able to do a C64 one here on the forums, and Darran asked if I was serious about it :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:22 pm

I WANT TO DO THE SPECCY ONE

actually I have no idea which speccy games are rare so would be hopeless
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:11 am

what a censored laugh