Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: Issue 87 - Collectors Guide Opinon

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:56 am

ninjabearhug wrote: Game lists are all well and good, but there's loads of sites that have them so surely you could just chuck a link to retro collect or something in there.
You could find info on anything in the mag on the net, they might as well have just put a link to Retro Collect for the whole article if that was the case. But it's not.

Yes there are many sites that have game lists, some reliable, some not. As I said above the fact of having a hard copy list in your hands is the difference.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 am

I enjoyed the N64 article. It's a great idea, most people are collectors and I found the checklist pretty useful. The retrospective on consoles was good while it lasted, but it's reached the point where the machines are too obscure or have so few games that they are never going to be worth buying. Much better to concentrate on consoles people actually own and collect for.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:50 am

We took out valuations because so many people used to complain about the prices in the bargain list and the prices in other sections of the mag. If you start listing uk and us prices for everything from boxed to unboxed and all the other variations you're going to have even more of a list mentality. Something that many (including myself) don't want.

Still keep the feedback coming, we knew this one was going to receive a lot of interest, both good and bad.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 am

From a writer's perspective, I'm glad the valuations are now gone. I don't know about others, but I found it impossible to be remotely accurate. Even with KLOV and so on, valuing arcade games is insanely hard, and even home console/computer stuff is often a problem (hence most people going for £1+ all the time).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Another good new feature in my opinion, really enjoy have a complete release list to check and how it is divided up into rarity sections.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Don't bin the checklists just because some people don't like them. As others have said, this is exactly the kind of thing that people are after and collectors as well as those who just buy what they want to play read the mag too. Besides, you only have to see the list once.

As long as it's accurate mind, no missing stuff or false releases :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

mjhardisty

Post by mjhardisty » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:46 pm

I agree that prices fluctuate, but leaving a feature such as Bargain Hunt without an update in so long doesn't reflect market prices.

If you sold a Spectrum for £11 then fair play to the person picking it up - I have probably seen the odd one in the hundreds on eBay go for such a price.

I think you are speaking from a "collectors" point of view. What about people with no experience in the matter? How do people know without experience that a certain game, say, came with a poster or other paraphernalia? This is all useful information for the less informed.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:53 pm

I really liked the guide, even though I'm not that much an N64 fan. I agree about keeping the values off though, as to include them just seems pointless.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

I thought it was ok, and in places quite interesting.
Preferred the retroinspection, but that's been done so at least this was coming at it from a different angle.

Will be interesting to see what new material there is about the Megadrive, SNES, C64 or Spectrum if they get the treatment, as these have had more coverage in the mag generally.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I enjoyed the N64 article. It's a great idea, most people are collectors and I found the checklist pretty useful. The retrospective on consoles was good while it lasted, but it's reached the point where the machines are too obscure or have so few games that they are never going to be worth buying. Much better to concentrate on consoles people actually own and collect for.
I'd be very interested to know if this is true; perhaps it is amongst those on the forum, but I'd be surprised if it were the case for the wider readership.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I wouldn't say all our readers are collectors, but we certainly get enough response from people both in letters and on the forum to put this feature together. As with everything we do if it proves popular we'll keep it, if it doesn't we won't.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:07 pm

I enjoyed the Collector's Guide, it makes a nice companion piece to a detailed Retroinspection on a format.

Personally, I don't know if we need the top 5 lists AND the checklist. For some formats, yes, the colour-coded checklist is a good idea. But as others have already pointed out, there's no way you can cram in enough titles to make suce a list worthwhile for formats like the C64.

It also makes more sense to me to include screenshots of the top games and packshots of the rare ones, if you see what I mean. Perhaps an info box on the media format too?

So, I think a 10-page Guide would be about right, including much of what appeared in the N64 piece. I don't agree with prices either - they change so much.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Now I have the issue in question in front of me... one day my surname will be spelt correctly everywhere :wink:

Aside from that, I think it's turned out really well, but as said, it's the first in a potential series and there are always kinks to iron out.
merman wrote:It also makes more sense to me to include screenshots of the top games and packshots of the rare ones, if you see what I mean. Perhaps an info box on the media format too?
So 15 screenshots of the games to play, and 15 package shots of the rare ones instead? Could be an idea. I like the symmetry with how it's been done so far admittedly.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:24 am

Mayhem wrote:Now I have the issue in question in front of me... one day my surname will be spelt correctly everywhere :wink:

Aside from that, I think it's turned out really well, but as said, it's the first in a potential series and there are always kinks to iron out.
merman wrote:It also makes more sense to me to include screenshots of the top games and packshots of the rare ones, if you see what I mean. Perhaps an info box on the media format too?
So 15 screenshots of the games to play, and 15 package shots of the rare ones instead? Could be an idea. I like the symmetry with how it's been done so far admittedly.
Yeah, collectors are more likely to be trying to find the rare ones, so knowing what the packaging/cartridge looks like will be more helpful than the screenshots.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 am

I quite enjoyed the article, whilst I felt it was quite basic and knew most of the information in it. (but I obviously understand other readers may be investigating the console for the first time so it would need to be basic) I did like the list and the way it was split in to sections of rare - common. Was suprised at how many awful games are actually rare (likewise bit gutted that I sold off a fair few of those rare games for a quid or so recently, as I was unlikely to ever play them). The featured chap who collects says there are 400 odd games, but article says 200 and something. Is he refering to worldwide releases.

Not sure how the artcle would cope with consoles with vast game libraries. But I guess the Dreamcast may be a good candidate for a future edition.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.