From the forum question for issue 31

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:48 am

Nintendo's greatest games can be played by adults and kids alike or together , they always feel like fun instead of over complicated.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:38 am

sirclive1 wrote:Nintendo's greatest games can be played by adults and kids alike or together, they always feel like fun instead of over complicated.
It appeal to nearly all ages, especially people with generations and gaming experience.

Cloud Atlas

Post by Cloud Atlas » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:18 am

Shigeru Miyamoto's games in particular are drawn from childhood memories and have a sense of adventure, both in terms of gameplay and innovation. Nintendo is still about escapism in a time when too many other developers strive to offer realism in their games.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:26 pm

I just like the word, the way it looks and sounds. Nintendo. NIN-TEN-DO. It sounds like the sort of noises you'd make just before violently killing somebody with a fluffy pink tickle-ball.

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:34 pm

Cloud Atlas wrote:Shigeru Miyamoto's games in particular are drawn from childhood memories and have a sense of adventure, both in terms of gameplay and innovation. Nintendo is still about escapism in a time when too many other developers strive to offer realism in their games.
Plus he's released the same games year, on year, on year, but somehow still manages to fool everyone into thinking that they're "new".

Remember Pikmin? The only original game he's done in 20 odd years - and it was rubbish!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 am

What makes Nintendo games great?

The most important thing is that they are designed to be fun first and foremost usually. The often original ideas, colourful design, as fun for adults as they are for children too. They appeal to the inner child for me at least!

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:29 am

Nintendo's own games always ooze quality. They are bold, bright and have so many little gameplay nuances that other companies don't tend to bother with. I remember playing Super Mario World for the first time and thinking, 'I'll never play anything this good ever again'.

I don't think I have

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:45 am

Nintendos games are special because it doesn't matter if you're 6 or 36 (yes, as old as me!) you can just pick them up and play them and pass away a few hours of your life without realising how fast time has gone!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:40 am

Ok - a serious reply.

The secret that makes Nintendo games special is the input of Shigeru Miyamoto. Whether he is the producer, programmer or tea boy - he always seems to put that extra little something into the games he is involved with.

My first introduction into the world of Nintendo was with the GameCube. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are in my top five 'Best Games Ever' and Super Mario Sunshine is there in the top ten too. So I guess I may not have the years of experience of other people here to give an educated answer to this 'From The Forum' question, but simply from reading numerous articles and in my three years or so of owning a Gamecube, I am willing and happy to accept that Nintendo games to have a certain extra specialness that sets them apart from the titles produced by other game studios.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:39 am

(Hang on is that a loaded question? Did they pay for that?)

It's most likely because they're Japanese. Different culture innit.

caffeinekid

Post by caffeinekid » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:05 am

The special thing about Nintendo games, or games on nintendo machines even is that they are the only ones that my wife and family want to steal from me to play for themselves. So I guess they are special because they include people rather than exclude them.
10 PRINT "TCK IS COOL!";
20 GOTO 10

http://www.tcksoft.co.uk

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:52 am

Nintendo are the computer game equivelent of Pixar. They have the same approach to storytelling and in-jokes, there's something for kids and adults to enjoy, and actually content in some games addresses big issues and adult themes in a more mature way than most games. Nintendos characterisations are always endearing, the worlds tactile. Their business practices may be sharp, but the build quality of the hardware products is unquestionable, i've accidentally dropped my cube about four times onto tiled floors and it still works perfectly.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:42 am

That fat tached plumber (Mario) has to rescue Princess Peach again!!!!!

If I was him I'd tell her I've had enough, she should take more care of herself, and that the relationship is over.

MARIO - SHE IS TOO HIGH MAINTAINANCE! Get someone who doesn't get kidnapped so often.

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:15 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Obvious answer

You can't play them on any other system
You can if you use Snes9x, Project64 or a host of other top emulaters... :wink:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:55 am

They're overrated, eSPECIALly by the press. That's what makes them SPECIAL. :wink: