Some ideas for the mag

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ronin

Re: Some ideas for the mag

Post by Ronin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 am

Hello, first sorry about my English 8)
I'd like to see some simulation games in RG. As far as i remember no any typical simulation games were covered in magazine. Everybody remembers the flying "F" series ( F-19 stealth fighter, F-15, F-117 nighthawk etc. ), submarine simulators ( silent service ) and many others. Maybe its time to look on this type of games :wink:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 pm

We're trying to find a freelancer to do a flight sim article. It's long overdue

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Silent Service would also be spiffy, if you can rope in Sid Meier. It's a fab game.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We're trying to find a freelancer to do a flight sim article. It's long overdue
That would be fantastic! I love the simulator genre... particularly the early stuff from Psion's FS, Digital Integration's Fighter Pilot, Tomahawk etc... through to early MS Flight Sim, and all the Microprose stuff. Have to say the modern microsoft stuff leaves me cold, as its a bit clinical. Hopefully you'll find someone soon, otherwise now you've put the idea in my head I'll have to write my own... purely for my own personal use you understand.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We're trying to find a freelancer to do a flight sim article. It's long overdue
Outstanding! I'd love to see likes of SWOTL, LHX, Chuck Y.Air Combat, F-29 etc etc in there as well as the usual D.I/Microprose ones.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:15 am

This would certainly be a nice idea, as would an article on what appears to be the dead genre of the space sim / shooter.

Then again, any top ten of Space Sims is going to include the Elite games, and such an article will likely go over Elite a lot again (which has been covered - more than once, I think, but what the heck - Elite's still a good game, even by modern standards)
Where logic won't work, I will

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 am

gunbladelad wrote:This would certainly be a nice idea, as would an article on what appears to be the dead genre of the space sim / shooter.

Then again, any top ten of Space Sims is going to include the Elite games, and such an article will likely go over Elite a lot again (which has been covered - more than once, I think, but what the heck - Elite's still a good game, even by modern standards)
Exactly, just wtf is going on with the genre? MS canned 360 Freelancer sequel.Sony seemingly not bothered about prospect of bringing Colony Wars to PS3..Elite 4? Ohhh please, been waiting years for that.

Can't think of anything on the horizon.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Freelancer would fit in well there (shame about the 360 version being canned), as would the Wing Commander games and the expansion packs. Might have to dig my copy out and give it a bash at some point.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Wasn't there a space shuttle sim on the humble Atari 2600, of all things? I'd love to read more about that - chiefly, how the merry hell did anyone think that would work?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

now darran's looking for a freelancer to do freelancer!

I'm here all week
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:25 am

gunbladelad wrote:This would certainly be a nice idea, as would an article on what appears to be the dead genre of the space sim / shooter.
Well, we don't have to go far to find at least one developer for those...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Video pinball games. How Bill Budge wanted to castrate the author of David's Midnight Magic because his was the superior pinball game. Then how he made Pinball construction kit and how it made a killing so he could then stop crying. How Night Mission Pinball was just a simple effort with lots of bombs, alarms and annoying sounds and it made the game seem better than it was. The utter brilliance of Visual Pinball and how well it emulates some of the classics like Black Knight, Indiana Jones and The Addams Family. And Baywatch. Pinball Fantasies on the Amiga and how damn good it was. Tristan pinball on the C64 and how awful it was.

And I think Ive just about covered it! No, actually I reckon it would be a great read, there were actually even a couple of arcade video pinball games I remember playing and they really weren't all that bad... cant for the life of me remember their titles though.

webding

Post by webding » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm

They have video pinball in arcades? Isn't that a bit like going to the pub to drink a can of Carling?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:00 am

ncf1 wrote:Video pinball games. How Bill Budge wanted to castrate the author of David's Midnight Magic because his was the superior pinball game.
Budge has expressed interest in doing an interview with us for a 'combined' making-of on all his pinball games; it's just a question of the powers that be commissioning it (and with enough lead time, since Budge is a busy guy).

Also: Night Mission Pinball was a *great* table, sound effects or not.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Also: Night Mission Pinball was a *great* table, sound effects or not.
It is blawdy mahvellus. You should do a feature on it. Another Apple original AFAIK.