New Vs Old Gran Turismo Vs Gran Turismo 5

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

New Vs Old Gran Turismo Vs Gran Turismo 5

Gran Turismo
75%
Gran Turismo 5
25%

Total votes: 48

Kai

Re: New Vs Old Gran Turismo Vs Gran Turismo 5

Post by Kai » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 am

The Old Gran Turismo blew me away back then, but GT5 is also very nice. 8)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:51 am

Same game different graphics.

GT1 was innovative and different back then. GT5 is just a parody of GT1.

On that basis, GT1 for me.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Since they're essentially the same game, GT1 for me, as at the time it was new and awesome. Forza has easily taken over GT in the interim, though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Gran Turismo 1 it is for me, I've seen alot of and breifly played GT5 once or twice now and after reading this thread I saw that you cant unlock damage mode until further into the game makes it lose much more of its Street Cred for me, especially these days.

After my first go of GT5 on a HD Tele it really didnt look any shinier and cleaner than GT3 on my PS2, sure you can see the brakes and rotors easier and the manufacturers car symbols can be made out a fair bit clearer but essentially it looks like GT5 is just GT3 with a few more newer cars & fancy looking crash barriers and back grounds.

GT1 also kicks A$$ because it always gave you one or 2 different "Racing Paint Jobs" after you'd done your car up to the max... that and having the physics engine to lauch cars sky high off other cars at certain angles (wish I'd saved those replays) and have a Mazda Demio set up with the bounciest suspension ever so you could have it on 2 wheels most the way around all the corners =)
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 am

Gran Turismo! The problem with no. 5: The game hasn't changed that much and is now a boring car-collector-racing-game with much lesser impact on the market than the first game. There are other games that motivate better than GT5.

Yes, GT5 has the "green hell" in perfection with some really amazing cars, but that's nothing exclusive anymore on the market, comparing to PGR, Forza, GRID or Shift.
PSN: FlatEric81 Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/retrostage

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Also Japanese motors were much more interesting back then. Not to mention alot of the domestic-only turbo nutters, like GTR Skylines.

Now eveyrone knows what a GTR is but back then they were a genuine unknown to like 90% of people.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:12 pm

voted the orginal which back at thetime was a rela groundbreaking title
the series hasnt really moved on in the mean time the graphics got prettier the stables bigger but thats it
there is stil no real damage to the cars and the game still uses bumper car physics
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 am

The original. Every subsequent entry has taken more of the game out and added more pointless grindy censored.

It took me 70minutes from turning on the PS3 to running my first actual race in GT5.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

chris leach

Post by chris leach » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 am

Gran Turismo was always about the ability to test drive a car without being in the car. You would go to an auto show say in Detroit and sit down in the car sim for a chance to drive an exotic car or see what a prototype handles like.
When Gran Turismo came out for the first time in the 90's there was a since of this is pretty cool! But as far as racing games go....Gran Turismo is no different today than it was back when. Other than newer cars, there is really no since in the game.

Sure you can feel like you are really driving a game and they even came out with some fancy feedback controllers to give you the feel of the game, but IMO the Burnout series or Need for SPeed is where the racing games are...

My vote 2 thumbs down for Gran Turismo....remember #1 had no car damage..some liscensing issues? :wink:

BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 am

Old thread, sorry, but I have to say GT5 is the better game, especially since it is supposed to be the "Real Driving Simulator" and it's hard to sim racing with old-gen graphics and no steering wheel support. GT1 was great for its time but successive games, while not adding many new things, improved on the original. There is plenty of room for GT6 to improve on if it ever comes out...

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Can I vote for Mario Kart instead? :P

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 am

Miketendo wrote:Can I vote for Mario Kart instead? :P
Nah, this thread's about proper driving games which therefore precludes anything from Nintendo. :P :wink:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 am

It's got to be the original for me.

I remember the first time it dawned on me just how long this was going to take to complete, I was blown away by the depth of the game. I've lost so many days and weeks of my life playing GT.
Thoughts and prayers.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:16 am

Not lost, invested.

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:35 am

Well, GT5 still feels like the very first game. The best in the series is GT2, in my opinion, with its great variety of cars and tracks.