Official Feedback Issue 85

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 am

Edwards80 wrote:Mikefishcake was offering up his spare copy on Facebook. Might be worth asking him if it is still available.
Thanks for the suggestion Mikefishcake; for me this has become a point of principle - I was (eventually) promised a replacement issue; others were promised the same, and at least two have received their copy. I just would like what was promised to me - I think I've been a loyal enough reader, having shelled out a small fortune on every single copy of RG (including a few duplicates of the early Live era issues).

I can't understand why it's so difficult to get this sorted out, but I do feel that I shouldn't have to resort to asking other members of the forum for a copy!

On a related point, although I make my living in computing, I don't have FaceBook account, and don't ever envisage that coming to pass...

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 am

Sorry, my spare has been claimed now anyway...

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 am

I'll just re-iterate at this point... I have a spare copy of #85 as well, first come, first served. My "replacement" I was due hasn't appeared either I should mention, but if it does, there will be another on the rack to be claimed...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Jonathan
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Post by Jonathan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Never fear, I believe Royal Mail are taking on extra temporary staff to help clear the backlog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQD1MNbdeg
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re:

Post by neuromancer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am

Jonathan wrote:Never fear, I believe Royal Mail are taking on extra temporary staff to help clear the backlog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQD1MNbdeg
Showing my age here (but I think it's safe as it is a Retro forum after all), I remember watching that when it was on tv - very funny, thanks for the link.

mohicankid
Posts: 4295
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:53 am
Location: in the darkest of dark places!

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by mohicankid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:13 pm

only just started reading my issue, and as always i started by reading the staff profiles, i like the fact that some put their favourite game as the one they are playing, but find the answers to the "whats you'r favourite.....?" questions really interesting!
love the fact that this month craig totaly miss-understood the question, and that no-one saw fit to put him right! :lol:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

User avatar
Von Paulus
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by Von Paulus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Still haven't received mine and I'm loosing all my hopes of obtaining it.
I contacted, by email, the subscription service and they answered back (1 week later) saying that are extending my subscription one more number. I don't want that. I just want number 85. I'm collecting it since number 19. This is my third year as a subscripter.
I'm beginning to feel more than just frustrated.

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 am

Von Paulus wrote:Still haven't received mine and I'm loosing all my hopes of obtaining it.
I contacted, by email, the subscription service and they answered back (1 week later) saying that are extending my subscription one more number. I don't want that. I just want number 85. I'm collecting it since number 19. This is my third year as a subscripter.
I'm beginning to feel more than just frustrated.
I'm with you - still no sign of issue 85. No joy from the subs department.

This is obviously not a good way to treat loyal readers; let's face facts here, RG is a very niche magazine, which surely cannot afford to massively annoy even a single reader - yes, I know the writers, editor and so forth did their job, they produced the magazine, but if it doesn't reach the subscribers, what's the point?

My faith in the system (the subscription system, not 'the' system, which is corrupt anyway :) ) has been ruined by this incident, as it's not just myself that:

a) didn't receive the issue (blame the post)
b) struggled to get a promise of a replacement
c) found the promise to be nothing but empty words

Now I know that if an issue goes missing, it's 'tough' as far as Imagine Publishing is concerned.

Please, can somebody at RG see if anything can be done to avert this in the future. I've said it before, but if Canal Boat Yawnazine can have a fully automatic, web-based system to have missing copies sent out, why can't RG?

User avatar
Von Paulus
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by Von Paulus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 am

Since I'm a subscriber, this is the first time that happens. It has always arrived in time with absolute no delays.
Sometimes the magazine don't arrives in the best of conditions, but the guiltiest part is the postie who folds the magazine.
Once the magazine have arrived in a such bad condition (liquid was spilled in the magazine) that I asked for a replacement, which was instantly granted by ip.
Why not now? My faith in the subscription system is ruined with this incident. If I were them wouldn't send me their next survey of how please I am with system. I won't be polite.
Still I'll continue to subscribe the magazine, because it's a niche magazine and needs all the support I can give. But with all the fairness, a solution must be provided when incidents like these happen. Please Mr. Darran, transmit this to ip.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 am

neuromancer wrote:
Von Paulus wrote:Still haven't received mine and I'm loosing all my hopes of obtaining it.
I contacted, by email, the subscription service and they answered back (1 week later) saying that are extending my subscription one more number. I don't want that. I just want number 85. I'm collecting it since number 19. This is my third year as a subscripter.
I'm beginning to feel more than just frustrated.
I'm with you - still no sign of issue 85. No joy from the subs department.

This is obviously not a good way to treat loyal readers; let's face facts here, RG is a very niche magazine, which surely cannot afford to massively annoy even a single reader - yes, I know the writers, editor and so forth did their job, they produced the magazine, but if it doesn't reach the subscribers, what's the point?

My faith in the system (the subscription system, not 'the' system, which is corrupt anyway :) ) has been ruined by this incident, as it's not just myself that:

a) didn't receive the issue (blame the post)
b) struggled to get a promise of a replacement
c) found the promise to be nothing but empty words

Now I know that if an issue goes missing, it's 'tough' as far as Imagine Publishing is concerned.

Please, can somebody at RG see if anything can be done to avert this in the future. I've said it before, but if Canal Boat Yawnazine can have a fully automatic, web-based system to have missing copies sent out, why can't RG?
I've passed this onto the subs department. I can't do any more than that I'm afraid.
Image

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: I've passed this onto the subs department. I can't do any more than that I'm afraid.
Can't say fairer than that, thanks Darran.

User avatar
Von Paulus
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by Von Paulus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: I've passed this onto the subs department. I can't do any more than that I'm afraid.
Thanks.
Meanwhile I solve my problem by buying #85 in a local bookshop (one of the three in Lisbon which sells RG).
A forum member, psj3809, knowing my ordeal, offered to send me freely is extra copy. I want publicly to thank him here. I really appreciate his kind gesture. He's just the living proof that exists a friendly and helpfully community around RG.
Long live RG and it's community.

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by Gabe » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:30 am

nakamura wrote:This thread seems to have almost no feedback on the actual magazine!
I think the idea that a feedback thread should have actual feedback seems retro now.

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by neuromancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Gabe wrote:
nakamura wrote:This thread seems to have almost no feedback on the actual magazine!
I think the idea that a feedback thread should have actual feedback seems retro now.
To be fair, it's hard to leave feedback on an issue when the magazine doesn't arrive :wink:

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9040
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 85

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:08 pm

wonder if the royal mail has a forum with a feedback thread?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests