Hot Topic - Best Streets of Rage Game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best Streets of Rage game

Streets of Rage
18%
Streets of Rage 2
78%
Streets of Rage 3
4%

Total votes: 55

pantal00ns

Re: Hot Topic - Best Streets of Rage Game

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:02 am

Not adding much to what has already been said but:

First SOR great game brilliant soundtrack.
Second SOR takes the whole game up a notch therefore is the BEST!
Third SOR = Poo

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:48 am

I'd personally have liked to see them retain the ability to throw punks off the side of elevators or missing sections of flooring in some SOR2 levels though, which was hilarious fun in the original! (this did get brought back in the inferior third game, but still...)
Also, why on earth take the glass beer-bottle weapon out?! A standout moment in the original was smashing that over some poor b*stard's head for the first time!
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:59 am

Cafeman wrote:SOR2 easily trumps not only SOR1 but also Final Fight.
I've never actually thought of it before, but you're totally right, and I love Final Fight. There's so much variation in SOR2 that it's almost beyond compare.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:03 am

I don't recall playing 3 but out of the first two the second is far superior to the dull as dishwater first one, they still can't compete with Final Fight though.
Splink!

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:10 am

You can run in the third one. Pardon me if you think I'm being rude, but in my opinion that important feature makes the other two feel so archaic. SoR 3 also has an unlockable character called Roo. Bonus points all the way for that!

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:40 am

3 isn't all that bad, I know I called it a t*rd, but it's not THAT bad. It just always seems off kilter to me, like the soul is missing from it. The goons, and characters a bit flat, and the music is mental. It just sounds...wrong.

I don't know, it's a rare title that changes hands for about £50-£70, and as such it's always going to come as a let down. I didnt even finish playing it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Streets of Rage 2 is by far the best, but it's stil not as good as Double Dragon..... :wink:

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:19 am

Part 2 has better music, better characters and better special moves. Not to mention, it's the first SOR that I played, so it has the nostalgia effect going for it as well.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:51 am

Plus one for two.

It was often the case with Megadrive games that the first in a series was fantastic, the 2nd they tweaked things to get them right, expanding on what worked, ditching what didn't & ultimately eclipsing the original. Then the third they went all overblown & threw a load of unnecessary stuff into it to try to make it a bit different. See also Sonic, Golden Axe & Road Rash.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:31 pm

SOR1 for me. While 2 is excellent I prefer the smaller simpler sprites and cleaner music soundtrack. The Backbody drop move never gets old, throwing enemies off the elevator is still fun, smashing the glass bottle then using it to stab with was new then and the rolling coke can on the beach is a nice touch. But after 19 years playing who still accidently hits the Special Move button to bring in the E-Swat car. :)

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Eric wrote:SOR1 for me. While 2 is excellent I prefer the smaller simpler sprites and cleaner music soundtrack. The Backbody drop move never gets old, throwing enemies off the elevator is still fun, smashing the glass bottle then using it to stab with was new then and the rolling coke can on the beach is a nice touch. But after 19 years playing who still accidently hits the Special Move button to bring in the E-Swat car. :)
Being very accustomed to playing the other two - yes. A lot. :lol:
The first one was certainly a great beat-em-up for its time with some then novel ideas and touches. Having a possible 'bad ending' (available in two-player mode) was another nice idea.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

chewy

Post by chewy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:43 am

I know SOR2 will most likely win, but for me the best in the series is SOR1. The Special Attack, the two-player co-op, the ending twist and the bosses all make it a memorable game for me, not to mention the fact it came free with my first Mega Drive. Totally blew my SNES owning friends away at the time I got it, seeing as Final Fight was a shadow of the arcade. Love the whole series, but definitely SOR1.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Oh come on! No contest, 2 by far. 1 had some good ideas, and while 3 made some sufficient changes, everything about 2 made it the pinnacle of the series.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:52 pm

It's never going to be anything other than Streets of Rage 2 is it? I love it so much that I even bought a complete Japanese copy.

I also dropped close to £50 on a mint Japanese copy of the third game so I could experience it properly without all the censors and make a better judgement. It's not awful but it does seem like it tries far too hard. Everything is there but it just feels wrong. The music is weird, the difficulty level much higher and far too many enemies block your attacks which means being stuck on the same screen for ages.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Vendetta.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.