For the forum issue 86

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: For the forum issue 86

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 am

Scapegoat wrote:Zaxxon in the arcade. A true ground breaker in gaming at the time and still terrific fun today.
If I could actually get anywhere with this game, I'd agree! I haven't played too many isometric games to be honest, and I don't want to just pitch in with another Marble Madness shout...

I'll go for Princess Clara Daisakusen, a cutesy magical girl shooter. Also my favourite character in Matrimelee!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:25 am

Lots and lots, but I'm going to pick Jon Ritman's Head Over Heels. Looked good, sounded good, plays great!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:47 am

Highway Encounter on the Speccy. I had lotsa fun drivin' those little robots (or dustbins, or dildos or whatever they were) to the alien mothership.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 am

walrus wrote:I used to play Zombie Zombie for hours, trap the zombies in a box and then just take my time rebuilding the city. You couldn't save it at the end though so that hard work would be inevitably lost. If only we'd had emulators back in those days.
Zombie Zombie does allow saving of its cities! On the startup menu there's an option to load a previously saved city.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

walrus

Post by walrus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Zombie Zombie does allow saving of its cities! On the startup menu there's an option to load a previously saved city.
I had a horrible feeling that it may have allowed saving ( or at least loading) as I typed it but I checked the instructions online and could find no mention of it.

The moral of this story is never trust online instructions to reinforce a hazy memory.

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Ant Attack 3D - it was the inspiration for Starship Troopers. Well, maybe.
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:22 pm

No isometric game captured my attention before or since in the way Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon did. Sim City 2000 certainly was a fun game but Transport Tycoon (and Deluxe) was a more focused affair and left an indelible impression on me. I still play it occasionally to this day which I cannot say of many other PC games from over 15 years ago.

Notable mentions:
R.C. Pro Am
Diablo
Age of Empires
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:23 pm

NorthWay wrote:All Atari. All arcade. Not a single puzzlesolver, nor ZX origin. Funny that...
And if you insist on what I think you actually meant, then Cadaver by Bitmap Brothers.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Jumpin' Jack for the C64. Awesome Frogger clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQa8G9amQ8

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:09 am

Monster Max on the Game Boy. With its fun perspective and heavy focus on puzzle solving, there really isn't any other game like it on Nintendo's monochrome handheld. And since it was developed by John Ritman and Bernie Drummond, it was like having a portable version of Head Over Heels!

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:25 am

That's a tough one. MARBLE MADNESS looks really beautiful but in terms of looks AND gameplay I'd go for SYNDICATE.

Old Skool 75

Post by Old Skool 75 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Marble madness is the game that pops into my head. A great challenge that was hard but fair. I loved the originality of it and still play it from time to time. A quick mention must go to Head Over Heels. Superb game with two of the cutest lead characters you could have.

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Jesus that's a bit of a broad question.

Overall I'd suppose it would have to be Marble Madness or Sonic 3D Flickies' Island, but only on the Saturn or with an Analog Stick, that game was not made for D-pads.

Then there's Where Time Stood Still, the almighty Ant Attack, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters, Pac-Mania, gah Darran man, it's too broad mate, too broad!

MeX

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 am

Dunjohn wrote:Does Dungeon Keeper count? You could position the camera at any angle but straight isometric was best. If not, Desert Strike.
Desert Fighter >> Desert Strike :wink:

Von Paulus

Post by Von Paulus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:24 pm

X-Com.
There still are good isometric games. I'm currently playing Geneforge 5, which is an isometric game.