For the forum issue 86

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Jet Pilot

Re: For the forum issue 86

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 am

Worst perspective ever!
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:44 am

Knight Lore. I borrowed a copy from one of my school friends & I vividly remember asking him if it was any good to which he burst out laughing. After he'd stopped laughing the answer was yes, a real cracker. I wasn't disappointed when I started playing it later that evening.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Ghostbusters II level 3 in the Museum of Art on Amstrad, Spectrum & Amiga. Mode 1 graphics on the 8-bits and full colour on the Amiga. C64 version used the large blocky resolution and had 1 less Ghostbuster. While just 1 level and not a full game the level recreated the final scene of the film almost exactly which is rare for movie tie-ins. Really liked the ability to control the 4 Ghosbusters and swap their weapons with each other via the inventory screen. After jumping down their ropes and entering the Museum by way of a mini game by opening & closing the Ghostbusters hands as they drop down the ropes to blasting the evil Vigo back into his painting the level is fun & well layed out if short. Is a real pain though if you don't know the puzzle to defeat Vigo as the game manual said that watching the film would help - but it does'nt.

chewy

Post by chewy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:50 am

Enduro Racer on the Master System. Got this and my copy of Hang-On for the same birthday. Apparently, totally pants compared to the Arcade, but as I have never played it I don't mind! I loved it as a kid, motorbikes were my thing and this got more play than Hang-On due to the fact I could finish it! Trying to beat my quickest times became an obsession :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:13 am

Jet Pilot wrote:Worst perspective ever!
Well that may be YOUR viewpoint. Why not try looking at it from a different angle?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Does Dungeon Keeper count? You could position the camera at any angle but straight isometric was best. If not, Desert Strike.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:25 am

Zaxxon.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:54 am

Knight Lore and Viewpoint are great and very different but Spindizzy was the first I ever played so it holds a special place for me.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:38 am

Jet Pilot wrote:Worst perspective ever!
Agreed I hated all these sort of games I tried, like Head over Heels, Knight Lore etc, really awful trying to get to grips with the controls.

Trying to move around in the world, was like playing Twister with your own hands.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Gunfright on the MSX... one of the first games I owned for the system and holds many fond memories

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Super Mario RPG. Never thought a Mario game would ever go isometric, let alone be an RPG. But it looked and played great!

walrus

Post by walrus » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 am

I used to play Zombie Zombie for hours, trap the zombies in a box and then just take my time rebuilding the city. You couldn't save it at the end though so that hard work would be inevitably lost. If only we'd had emulators back in those days.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am

Marble Madness. No contest.
Coming in at a close third is the also fabulous Crystal Castles.

All Atari. All arcade. Not a single puzzlesolver, nor ZX origin. Funny that...

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Rock and Roll Racing. "Ralph is in a different time zone!"

Fever Pitch Soccer- Criminally underated Megadrive Football game
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

DCharlie

Post by DCharlie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:21 am

Knightlore

Lot of memories of this game. Our town had a fair number of arcades but we were badly serviced for games stores in 84. The one store we had of note was simply a guy operating out of his living room ("Haven Hardware" as it was called). The owner would always have the latest game playing on a small portable TV. The problem was the house was a little outside the town so it was a detour to get to. I still remember vivid details of the "store" - the small room, the blue door, the big black door censored and the excitement that - after a long trudge - you never really knew if the place would be open or not. I'd made many visits to this place from the ZX81 days through to the Spectrum days and on this particular day my dad and I swung the door open and there it was - Knightlore. Running. It was like a game from the future and the impact was stunning. Whilst other isometric games had come before, Knightlore really spawned a rush of isometric games - especially on the spectrum.