Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 am

No there was an ultimate article in issue 21 (I think it was 21)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:57 am

Was waiting on the floor when I got home from work. Only had a quick flick through so far but I'm pretty confident in saying this looks like the best issue of the year. Brilliant stuff.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Haven't had mine yet... first time it's ever been late, and there's no snow here... boo hoo hoo. Hope it hasn't got lost in the post.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

ipmarks wrote:Haven't had mine yet... first time it's ever been late, and there's no snow here... boo hoo hoo. Hope it hasn't got lost in the post.
:? Mine arrived on Saturday and we`ve NO snow, live in darkest North Devon and have THE worst sorting office (Exeter) for things going...ahem...'Missing' espically over xmas delivery period.Really hope you guys who are still waiting get your copy soon.It`s worth the wait.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Nice issue. Love the proper Christmassy cover.

Nice bit on Stunt Car Racer, though it forgot to mention the best feature - link-up multi-player. And not just any link-up, but you could actually link different platforms like an ST to an Amiga. Try that with your PS3 and 360!

I appreciate it was an article on RARE and not ULTIMATE, but it read like someone had gone through and censored any mention of the company's origins. Was this a condition of access? That no-one mentioned the U-word?

To be honest, I only came across them on the N64, so I'm slightly curious about their 8-bit and 16-bit console stuff - in a general sense. It's not like I actually want to play on one of those grey boxes...
Last edited by joefish on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 pm

X360 gave away a book called 'Rare: The Ultimate Story' in an early issue (#1 or #2, I think). It has been on my To Read pile for 3-4 years now.

Fantastic cover. Much better than the original Zzap artwork, in fact. After reading Darran's comments last month, I half-expected it to be a reprint of Zzap #59 with Darran's head super-imposed on top. Good luck trying to get that image out of your head.

I'm looking forward to picking it up this week.

filecore

Post by filecore » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 pm

ipmarks wrote:Haven't had mine yet... first time it's ever been late, and there's no snow here... boo hoo hoo. Hope it hasn't got lost in the post.

Mine hasn't arrived yet either which is unusual so I would think ours should show up any time.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:51 pm

filecore wrote:

Mine hasn't arrived yet either which is unusual so I would think ours should show up any time.
Thank you... that's made me feel a bit better. I'm having pangs of jealousy that people have theirs, and I don't.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 pm

joefish wrote: I appreciate it was an article on RARE and not ULTIMATE, but it read like someone had gone through and censored any mention of the company's origins. Was this a condition of access? That no-one mentioned the U-word?
Not at all. The thing is Rare wasn't Ultimate. It was simply formed by the same people. Admittedly they were smart enough to keep hold of the Ultimate IP, which they occassionally used and they were obviously proud of their roots, but Ultimate isn't Rare. Not as far as Rare as concerned anyway.

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Mine hasn't arrived either, mind you I am waiting for so much stuff the postie has probably walked off with all my gubbins. :evil:

bsg

Post by bsg » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Mine came early doors on Saturday and as usual, my postie was VERY gentle in posting it through my door... :)

Really enjoyed the Rare article anf after first thinking "16 pages - WTF??" I was pleasently surprised to get to the end and realise that I hadn't even noticed how many pages it was, because I was drawn in to it - which, to me, is the sign of an excellent article...

The Virgin article was a little bit 'meh' if I had to be brutally honest. I can appreciate that it was based around the setting up of a games business (plus other dutoes), but it just seemed there was very little game related content in the main piece - but hey, that might only be MY opinion...

LOVE the cover - it was a very nice tribute to the halcyon days of the first real 'invasion' of video gaming.

Again, as with every issue before, a splendid job and a big pat on the back to all staff involved in bringing it to us peons :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Mine still not here - and I am only a short drive from Darran's house................................. might get my thief outfit on later :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Mine not here yet, it's never late, guess it's because of the snow.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

sscott wrote:Mine not here yet, it's never late, guess it's because of the snow.
Same problem here, not seen a postman in my area of Sheffield since last Monday. Defiantly due to the Snow and bad weather, pavements round this end are still slabs of ice.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 am

I got the post, but we haven't had the bins emptied for a fortnight. Yay private sector services! I mean, they only have to work one day a week, and they can't even manage that! :lol: