Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm

The ultimate games are there to show the company's roots. The Kinect is there to show where the company is now heading. Simple.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:19 am

Loved the adventure game section, I was drawn to Sanatarium after reading the brief description. As usual Iain and Pauls columns were spot on and something I could relate too. Also downloaded and am addicted to the Game Dev Iphone/touch game, cracking little game (well I say little it's quite big really)

Wasn't fussed about the Rare article, I lost interest once Ultimate disappeared and never owned a console Rare wrote games for. But if I'm not too keen on an article, then I tend to read the supplementary parts to the article, rather than the main article text/Q & A's.

Overall like all Retro Gamer issues, some bits I loved, some bits I was so so on and some bit I had no interest in, but that is par of the course. There is so much retro out there, it would be impossible to find someone who played every game, had an interest in every game and every machine ever produced.

Finally took the plunge and got a subscription, seemed mad not too as it's the only mag I buy every issue, so why not save some money by subscribing.

Looking forward to the first issue of next year.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 am

I've just finished it. A few comments:

Rare - Better than I was expecting. It had lots of behind-the-scenes general game company type stuff, and not just loads of console game talk.

Virgin Games - Another interesting article. Looking forward to part 2.

Banshee - After reading the article I was wanting to play it again.

The Terminal Man - Strange that it only mentioned Crash, as it was printed in Zzap as well (that's where I read it).

The Untouchables - That screenshot sums up why I don't play many Spectrum games!

Adventure games - Good to see some other adventure games getting some page space.

Desert Island Disks was as good as ever, too.

Lemmings next issue :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 am

necronom wrote: The Untouchables - That screenshot sums up why I don't play many Spectrum games!
I loved that picture! Maybe it's the memories...
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Stupidly late posting in this feedback thread but wanted to say how much I liked the current issue, especially the write up of the R3Play event - you really captured the atmosphere of an ace show, Mike.

Also two thigs intrigued me - in Endgame, screen 4 talks about 'Poor Chelnov, the Coal Minter'... some underground llama love here? Plus on the front cover, Daz seems to be leering at Joanna whilst Stu is looking equally as lustfully at the Commodore 64 (or 16? Hard to tell in that light) - can we conclude that Stu is therefore the more professional? I think we should be told.

Happy New Year all

Paul @;]

Midnight Synergy

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:32 am

Re: The Uncoverted

Wasn't Off the Wall ported to the Atari 2600: http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?S ... abelID=330 ??

Or does this just happen to be a breakout/pong type game with the same name? (I don't know the arcade version)
http://www.midnightsynergy.com
Retro Inspired Puzzle, Arcade and Adventure Games.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:Re: The Uncoverted

Wasn't Off the Wall ported to the Atari 2600: http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?S ... abelID=330 ??

Or does this just happen to be a breakout/pong type game with the same name? (I don't know the arcade version)
There are actually two arcade games titled Off The Wall - one by Atari which is a Breakout-variant, and another by Bally Sente, which is a side-on tennis game and the one featured in the mag.

Neither coin-op received a home conversion; though some sources claim Atari's game did get to prototype stage. The 2600 game you mention seems to be a separate game that happens to also be Breakout inspired.

martyg

Post by martyg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 am

Thanks for mentioning our USB joystick (the Atari 2600 repro joysticks available through thinkgeek). They're also available through the legacy engineering site (we have a Commodore 64 version as well), plus we also OEM a clear plastic version for retrothing.com (this year it's with red leds, last year it was blue). We also have a retrofit kit that you can dump in to an original joystick to turn it in to a USB stick.

As for what was mentioned about not knowing the feel compared to the original - these are all new designs and components, and much more responsive. Though of course nothing will beat the feel of the original Heavy Sixer spring loaded joysticks (only available from '77-'78), they're much more responsive than the hard contact disc version everyone chiefly remembers. They're also portable, the stick part snaps in and out of the base with a special locking mechanism. And they're hackable - inside are contact points that can be used to wire up 8 buttons and external arcade joysticks to use the pcb as a MAME controller interface.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/