Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mikeb

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by mikeb » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Megamixer wrote:Grrr...never played any of these point and click games shown in the feature but now I want to go out and buy most of them! My wallet doesn't agree. This is the only irritating thing about RG: it's ability to tempt you with more unknown games that must be played :lol: .

Suppose I'll look for come cheap CD copies to run on my laptop (providing they work with XP - think it's only Vista onwards that doesn't like older PC software unless I'm wrong?)
Well, the talkie PC versions of Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen have been freeware for a while and are playable in the SCUMM emulator, along with the excellent Lure of the Temptress (which was Revolution's first adventure game and pretty ground-breaking at the time). See http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ Make sure to grab the CD versions if you want speech (recommended...)

Being one of my fave point-and-clickers I've been pushing to get a making of Flight of the Amazon Queen in the mag for a while (wink wink Darran and Stu ;))

A feature on Lure of the Temptress would be most welcome too.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:07 am

Never played point & click games myself but the Amiga seemed to do alot of them at the time and I can see the attraction of these games for Iphone/Ipad as the touch screen is the perfect control setup for them. However I did play the demo of "Grey Matter" for 360 which is just a point & click game that seemed to play ok except for the joypad controls were a bit awkward.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:if you own an iphone, monkey island 2 was only 59p
Thankyou Timothy!! :)

I didn't realise they are that cheap atm.. have just downloaded them straight away!

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm going through much the same - I've got GOG.com open in another tab right now, browsing the adventure section.

Under 5 US dollars for practically every title. That's about 3 quid. A lot of titles for under 2 quid (3 dollars). Can't go wrong really, and they should all work on XP and Vista.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Just got the issue today. Hey, look the snowy weather got in the way of my RG buying activity! :D Great article on Banshee. Always a bit of a curious game(AGA, Steampunk, etc). Plus I liked the alternative adventure games.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah maybe we could have had a little 100 word intro on that article. I guess it's just one of those things were you just assume everyone knows what something is.
I'm afraid i'm with the others on that one.... it looked cool from the article but i had no idea what it was, the article gave little background. As for reading Crash..... pretty glad i stuck with reading zzap64 :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 am

kelp7 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah maybe we could have had a little 100 word intro on that article. I guess it's just one of those things were you just assume everyone knows what something is.
I'm afraid i'm with the others on that one.... it looked cool from the article but i had no idea what it was, the article gave little background. As for reading Crash..... pretty glad i stuck with reading zzap64 :)
What, the same Zzap! that had Terminal Man in you mean? =-)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:28 am

TMR wrote:
kelp7 wrote:I'm afraid i'm with the others on that one.... it looked cool from the article but i had no idea what it was, the article gave little background. As for reading Crash..... pretty glad i stuck with reading zzap64 :)
What, the same Zzap! that had Terminal Man in you mean? =-)
Heh, thought that might be the case.... wasn't sure.... :) obviously i just don't remember it or like the other guy just skipped it as wasn't really a comic fan back then.... still, i would always rather have read Zzap than Crash :)
MZ-80A Secrets

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:14 pm

i'm guessing it never made it into Amtix...all 12 issues :( :lol:

Alyxx

Post by Alyxx » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:04 pm

I really enjoyed the article about Stunt Car Racer. It's a game I spent a lot of time playing as a kid on my dad's DOS PC. Though the DOS version was obviously inferior to the Amiga version, to me it was a great game nonetheless.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Glad you liked the article. The DOS version isn't bad, but the controls are bonkers. Up = brake. Down = brake really fast. Only way to get speed is to use the nitro.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:58 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Glad you liked the article. The DOS version isn't bad, but the controls are bonkers. Up = brake. Down = brake really fast. Only way to get speed is to use the nitro.
Someone really needs to write a good article on DOS gaming. I liked the one previous article we had but it was too '90s focussed for me, all the games I played on my Amstrad PC were around '87 to '90 or so. It would be nice to have an article about the conversions from C64, speccy etc that made it to DOS perhaps. I used to play Wizball so much on my old Amstrad PC (the Amstrad being a particularly good IBM compatible because you could plug a normal micro-switch joystick into the keyboard so dodgy controls weren't so much of an issue :)
MZ-80A Secrets

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:53 am

Finally I have received my subscription copy of Retro Gamer 84, the first was lost to the snow and the machinations of Royal Mail. But the kind folks at RG Towers sent out another.

I love the cover, suitably Christmassy, and there looks like some cracking articles to read over Christmas. Excellent.
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

Alyxx

Post by Alyxx » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:51 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Glad you liked the article. The DOS version isn't bad, but the controls are bonkers. Up = brake. Down = brake really fast. Only way to get speed is to use the nitro.
True, though I still dig it up in DosBox for nostalgia's sake. :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Just managed to dig myself out yesterday and track the mag down.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:but Ultimate isn't Rare. Not as far as Rare as concerned anyway.
Why is the Knightlore screenshot on the cover?

:wink: