Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:58 am

Don't worry. The only way the columns will disappear is if Paul and Iain get bored writing them.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:57 am

I actually Love Iain's page and I wish he did more to be honest -- its the very first thing I read in the mag I admit and I love his writing style, and I think it fits it the magazine absolutely perfectly. He has a wicked sense of humour and for me I would be fighting people in the streets and refusing to eat if his column was reduced or removed.

Its perfect for the mag and I think he writes brilliantly.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 am

mikeb wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote:The flip side of that coin, TL, is that the column does have an everyman quality to it I think. I quite like that myself...
Nail, hammer, head etc. Iain's informal style suits the mag well IMHO -besides it's only one page.
If it really bugs you that much go buy Edge mag and read their indecipherable dribblings ;)

PS AnonX - bit of bias there by any chance?
er...where did I say it bugged me? I said I thought print wasnt his best media - not really a bugged statement. Anyway, he's not going anywhere, and if others like him nor should he.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm

The piece on 'The Terminal Man' seems to me to have fallen into that old reviewer's trap of going on and on about how great it is without explaining what it's actually about. Just recently I've been finding the retrospectives of things I never tried at the time quite interesting, but this stands out as one that doesn't really say anything unless you're already very familiar with the subject. And yes, this time I read it again to check I hadn't missed a paragraph! :roll:

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Bought an iPhone copy as I was working away this week and my subs copy was late. But home now and paper copy is here!! I have to say this is may fav issue every (even better than the Dreamcast special issue 50?). Like the fact that there is a varied number of platforms covered, and the Best non-Lucasarts adventure feature is pure class. Now should I play Simon the Sorcerer or the Longest Journey?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 pm

joefish wrote:The piece on 'The Terminal Man' seems to me to have fallen into that old reviewer's trap of going on and on about how great it is without explaining what it's actually about. Just recently I've been finding the retrospectives of things I never tried at the time quite interesting, but this stands out as one that doesn't really say anything unless you're already very familiar with the subject. And yes, this time I read it again to check I hadn't missed a paragraph! :roll:
Should have read Crash then ;)

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:02 pm

I've been quite skint lately and have missed several issues. Luckily I recently decided that I had become tired of constantly re-reading my older ones and picked up this month's RG.

It's absolutely marvelous. Beautiful Oliver Frey cover, great in-depth piece on Rare, and most of all a nice look at my all-time favourite genre, the point and click adventure.

You had some excellent choices there, by the way, but there were a few quite notable by their absence. The various Tex Murphy games (I suppose Martian Memorandum would be the most traditional with its third-person perspective), The Adventures of Willy Beamish and Normality all come to mind as very solid, thoroughly enjoyable adventures with bright and quirky humour that any Lucasarts fan would enjoy.

While I'm at it, I can't forget Kingdom O' Magic. It isn't quite up to the standards of the others but it is for all intents and purposes a proper Delta 4 adventure game dressed up in VGA and CD-ROM technology with all of the silliness of the older classics.

Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:27 pm

mikeb wrote:PS AnonX - bit of bias there by any chance?
Sorry, didn't realise that we weren't allowed to write actual criticism of the magazine here. :roll:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Anonymous X wrote:
mikeb wrote:PS AnonX - bit of bias there by any chance?
Sorry, didn't realise that we weren't allowed to write actual criticism of the magazine here. :roll:
Take a chill pill. No one is saying that at all. If you don't like something you don't like something. That doesn't mean I'm going to change it though ;)

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:The piece on 'The Terminal Man' seems to me to have fallen into that old reviewer's trap of going on and on about how great it is without explaining what it's actually about. Just recently I've been finding the retrospectives of things I never tried at the time quite interesting, but this stands out as one that doesn't really say anything unless you're already very familiar with the subject. And yes, this time I read it again to check I hadn't missed a paragraph! :roll:
Should have read Crash then ;)
I know you are joking Darran, but to be fair I was a Crash reader until about 1986 and I don't remember Terminal Man (it may have been in there, but I wasn't a comic fan so I may just have skipped those pages). When was it in Crash? Also I have no idea what it was about, and the article didn't really help, as Joefish has pointed out. Don't get me wrong it was quite a good feature, but was lacking a few basic facts.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Should have read Crash then ;)
What, and miss out on the monthly exploits of Farty the Warthog?
Anyway, I never got over Tamara Knight...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 am

Yeah maybe we could have had a little 100 word intro on that article. I guess it's just one of those things were you just assume everyone knows what something is.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:26 am

Highlight of mag for me was laughing during iains column reading about speccy tapes twisting then thinking you have a foolproof magic touch by pressing play hard passed that part in the tape during loading... I used to do that, thought i was the only one, and the volume adjusting... I also pressed pause a fraction so the tape squealed a tad passed the twisted tape. Thanks for the massive nostalgia hit.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Grrr...never played any of these point and click games shown in the feature but now I want to go out and buy most of them! My wallet doesn't agree. This is the only irritating thing about RG: it's ability to tempt you with more unknown games that must be played :lol: .

Suppose I'll look for come cheap CD copies to run on my laptop (providing they work with XP - think it's only Vista onwards that doesn't like older PC software unless I'm wrong?)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:30 pm

if you own an iphone, monkey island 2 was only 59p