Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Denny Haynes

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by Denny Haynes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:26 am

NeilT wrote:And me still waiting, what has happened to all the West Midlands copies?
I'm West Midlands too.

I'm absolutley livid now, very poor customer service!!

I phoned up customer services and even they haven't a clue what's going on either...........WONDERFUL!!
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

mission1973

Post by mission1973 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 am

Got mine this morning :D thought it got lost for sure

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 pm

Denny Haynes wrote:
NeilT wrote:And me still waiting, what has happened to all the West Midlands copies?
I'm West Midlands too.

I phoned up customer services and even they haven't a clue what's going on either...........WONDERFUL!!
Ok so if you post something does that mean you know exactly what the situation is with that item at any one point?

....unless its tracked obviously, but these mags aren't.

People's mags are turning up everyday now, like mine did 2 days ago, so im sure it will turn up soon.

Zombi

Post by Zombi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Just got it.My favourite cover ever this issue.I must have spotted it from 20 feet away in WHSmiths tonight!

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 am

Denny Haynes wrote:
I'm West Midlands too.

I hope that was customer services at royal mail otherwise massive LOL
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:29 am

Denny Haynes wrote:
I'm West Midlands too.

I appreciate your frustration, but if your copy has been sent out and the Royal Mail hasn't delivered it, then how is it our fault? Unless of course you're directing your frustration at the mail.

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Denny Haynes wrote:
I'm West Midlands too.

I appreciate your frustration, but if your copy has been sent out and the Royal Mail hasn't delivered it, then how is it our fault? Unless of course you're directing your frustration at the mail.
Just to clear up..........

I phoned up the subs customer service line and to be totally honest the response was very poor to say the least, they had no idea first of all what Retro gamer was :shock: , so you can image the alarm bells were going off. Then they hadn't a clue what the latest issue was, seriously on this point shouldn't their computer system have this information. Staff training seems to be a second thought on this evidence.

Working in the public sector myself i do appreciate things go wrong but it's not the customers fault these things happen, please remember that.

And yes i have the lurgy really bad and i'm typing this from my sick bed so i'm prolly a little off colour with my mood, so no i'm not blaming you. What ticked me off was the customer service or lack of it when i phoned for a little info.

Denny
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:42 pm

I find it very hard to believe that subs didn't know what Retro Gamer was, it's one of their best selling mags. Maybe you just spoke to Imagine's receptionist.

I'm sure it will be sorted out though. I've chased Lucy myself and she's assured me that all issues were sent out. You jst have to appreciate that the post is truly horrendous at the moment (I'm still waiting for a package that's now 3 weeks late and it's stull showing as in transit).

Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Just bought the current issue today. I know I'm probably the billionth person to say this about Iain Lee and CVG person's columns, but if the contributors can't write anything that reads better than a tedious cliche-ridden forum post, why keep 'em? Give the column to Stuart Campbell or something, like his Digitiser and Arcade opinion pieces, at least that would cause some controversy. Arguments beat tedium anyday.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 am

Bit like some of the other articles, some people will like them, others not.

I'm a big fan of the small writeups by Iain Lee and Paul Davies. They're only a single page for each so its like some of the other articles, if you dont like them its only a tiny bit of the whole mag.

Think Iain caused past controversy with his comments so his column isnt exactly dull.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:01 am

I really like Iain Lee's column (fnar fnar).

Just to backup some comments about subs - My issue didnt turn up last month (the donkey kong one) so I contacted subs and they were on the ball - got a replacement in a few days.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:50 am

Anonymous X wrote:Just bought the current issue today. I know I'm probably the billionth person to say this about Iain Lee and CVG person's columns, but if the contributors can't write anything that reads better than a tedious cliche-ridden forum post, why keep 'em? Give the column to Stuart Campbell or something, like his Digitiser and Arcade opinion pieces, at least that would cause some controversy. Arguments beat tedium anyday.
think Paul Davies column is usually very good - escpecially as he's been on the front line for a lot of retro history. But agree with the Iain Lee bit. His do read like forum posts. (NB: I do NOT have anything against Iain - I really just dont think print is his medium)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:45 am

The flip side of that coin, TL, is that the column does have an everyman quality to it I think. I quite like that myself, as there's plenty of more formal/technical/factual content elsewhere in the magazine and it might be a bit dry without things like Iain Lee's column to break it up a bit. YMMV.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:25 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:The flip side of that coin, TL, is that the column does have an everyman quality to it I think. I quite like that myself...
Nail, hammer, head etc. Iain's informal style suits the mag well IMHO -besides it's only one page.
If it really bugs you that much go buy Edge mag and read their indecipherable dribblings ;)

PS AnonX - bit of bias there by any chance?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:50 am

I like Iain Lee's chummy writing style, and his column's always been a good read IMO. It's just the one page and I'd hate to see it go.