Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by SirClive » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:23 am

Just opened mine and the cover is very nice. When I heard it was a re-done Oli cover I thought it was going to be a different one that I wasn't keen on, so was really glad to see this one. Someone made a boob with the snow though, it goes across the T when surely it should stop?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:52 am

16 pages of RARE?

Good to see you know when to leave your straightjacket behind. (That is probably what bothers me most about GamesTM - too much conformity (or "A4" as we say around here).)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:02 am

NorthWay wrote:16 pages of RARE?

Good to see you know when to leave your straightjacket behind. (That is probably what bothers me most about GamesTM - too much conformity (or "A4" as we say around here).)
If you don't like Rare then I guess people will moan, but we had a really good interview and the opportunity to visit them. Add in the fact that it was the last opportunity to gather them and we went all out.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Does the 16 pages ( :shock: :shock: ) include Ultimate games, or is it only console stuff?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:40 pm

necronom wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Does the 16 pages ( :shock: :shock: ) include Ultimate games, or is it only console stuff?
It's nothing to do with Ultimate. It's a feature about Rare. If Uultimate was considered a part of Rare by Rare then they wouldn't be celebrating their 25 birthday this year ;)

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Two of the games featured in the Adventure Games article are half-price on GOG this weekend.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/adventure_titles

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:27 pm

:oops: After all i said about not wanting an Xmas-themed cover....Loving what Oli has done for this months issue. Only gotten as far as reading the Rare article, but looking like a stonker of an issue. As regards said article, Missed out good stack of Rare`s console output, but found the piece very well written and a great look at what went on behind the scenes and what the future holds for the company. Don`t think you could honestly 'do' an article on a developer with such a history as Rare and do it justice without making it a page count heavy affair.But thats just my take, fully understand how others might think it was too many pages etc.

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Yay its here and im in it again! I only got a chance to have a quick flick through as im going down the pub :P
Im pretty sure the issue feels a little heavier this month or is it just me getting weaker?....

There seems to be a lot of forum love this month as well. Speaking of which my avatar also got published this month. I thought that even if I did get published I wouldn't get any further than the 'your opinion' section as I thought maybe the logo would get you guys in trouble??? :?

Looking forward to reading it though!
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Ash wrote:Two of the games featured in the Adventure Games article are half-price on GOG this weekend.
Acquired - thanks Ash.

I wasn't interested in adventure games as a youth, so it's great to read the feature on it as I want to do some catching up. In fact, thumbs up all around for the Amiga and PC coverage.

The cover has to be my favourite RG cover ever. But I do think that Darran and Stuart are looking in just to get a sneak peek at Joanna's baps. Mind you, she does have her hand firmly on Darran's joystick.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 pm

it must be fate - that original frey xmas cover is one of the few newsfield mags I still have in my collection. Also got that really busy black and white xmas covered crash that has a 'where's waldo' feel about it. (I am only babbling as there is still tons of snow here and I know I wont see the mag until midweek. )

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 pm

No Snow here now - and no mag either! :evil:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:26 am

Just received my subs copy (it gets delivererd to where I work) and couldn't resist having a sneaky peek ... LOVE the Chrimbo cover - it made my day that did. :) Will delve into the mag properly when I get home. Merry Xmas RG!
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:37 am

Ever so slightly off topic but does anybody know the real reason behind why magazines, TV shows and whatnot no longer do "Christmas Specials" or even the more PC "Holiday Special"? Obviously I'm not including the likes of TV Times here.

I'm guessing it's because of our multi-cultural society and all that jazz but honestly, there are ways round this (and without sparking debate, minority groups I've came into contact with have all said how they tend to celebrate English traditions anyway!) The kids are missing out, gosh darn it!

Kudos to Retro Gamer for bringing the tradition back (or keeping it alive or something).

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:13 am

Just finished savouring my copy.Outstanding....added to comments i`ve previousily posted here about it, Highlights include:feature on Virgin, Interview with Oli, Stunt Car Racer (that brings back memories, Lugging an Atari ST and TV round the 1/4 mile to friends house just to play via link up!).Superb making of....Banshee piece, as well as Greatest Adventure Game and so on.Something for everyone this issue.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:40 am

Hasn't there been a RARE History article before?