Hardware Handbook

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dazza33

Hardware Handbook

Post by dazza33 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:51 am

Just a quick question in regards to the Hardware Handbook Vol 1, and 2. They cover overlapping periods from 1977 to 2001. If I just buy vol2 will it have any content from volume one?( and vice versa) I am thinking about overseas postage costs and want to minimise. Also is every article in the Handbooks in the regular issues over the years?Are there any special sections as such.

FatTrucker

Re: Hardware Handbook

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:58 am

The range of years just refers to the time period RG covers, each edition has completely different content. AFAIK all the content has been featured in the mag at some point the same as the RG Collection bookazines. The main draw for them (as with the other bookazines) is that they make much more convenient reading than going through dozens of mags.

If you're looking for something offering some fresh content, its also worth considering the Games™ Retro bookazines. G™ is RG's sister mag which hosts its own Retro section every month so its 'Retro' bookazines offer different content to the RG ones.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Volume 2? Didn't even know it came out.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Volume 2? Didn't even know it came out.
For some reason (it was explained somewhere but I forget where and when), there was little to no publicity for it which is why it was a quiet release. You can get it from the online store but I picked mine up from WHSmith on Friday :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Jeremiah Jones wrote:Volume 2? Didn't even know it came out.
For some reason (it was explained somewhere but I forget where and when), there was little to no publicity for it which is why it was a quiet release. You can get it from the online store but I picked mine up from WHSmith on Friday :)
It was Me:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=24597

Espiox

Post by Espiox » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:56 pm

I was actually looking to see if there was a new Hardware Handbook a few days ago and didn't see anything about it until Tiny Cartridge posted an article about it yesterday. I went to W.H. Smiths and grabbed a copy on my lunch break today. It's awesome, great job guys! I'd love to see a third one of these, perhaps focused on arcades/arcade hardware.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks to this book, I'm now considering a CD32...not enough space though...decisions, decisions...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.