From the forum question for issue 21

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:39 pm

My favourite videogaming moment was playing Wonder Boy on my Master System for the first time. Before that moment, the only way I played real games was at an amusement arcade in a caravan site in North Wales. They had Phoenix and Moon Patrol (and another game that never worked) in mini "kiddy" arcade cabinets, and Pac-Land and Wonder Boy in proper sized ones. I remember watching somebody playing Wonder Boy and being amazed by it. I played it myself and became addicted, and dreamed that one day I'd be able to play it on the Acorn Electron I had at home (back then I didn't understand computers were limited to what they could do!). That Christmas, "Santa" brought me a Master System, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a picture of Wonder Boy on the piece of paper listing all the available Master System games. I pestered my mum and dad every day for that game, and couldn't believe my luck when I got home from school one night and saw the game next to my Master System in my bedroom. I put it on and couldn't believe that I'd finally got my own arcade game at home! It's perhaps the only game I've owned that I've woken up early to play it before going to school, and where I'd be at school and be thinking about the game! I suppose my only other memorable gaming moment was anticipating the release of Sonic 2 - getting a preview on video of the game with the first issue of Mean Machines Sega was unique at the time. It wasn't often you'd be able to see a game in action before its release.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Got to be singing along to Ghostbusters on the C64 on the main title screen, let's face it, the music was pretty damn good for then, then all the fun playing the actual game. My sister called me stupid for enjoying it so much, but it was better than wacthing her tongue sucking in the ally with her boyfriend.

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:13 pm

I've got a few:

Final Fantasy VII - two moments from this one. The first one was when I finally worked my way out of Midgar after playing it for nigh on ten hours straight (I was taking my time!) and then the whole world map opening up in front of me. I realised just how much there was to this game and how little I had already achieved! The second was the death of Aeries. Brilliant cut-scene and a real shock. Nearly brought me to tears.

Auf Wiedersehn Monty - Playing it for months and thinking that I must be missing something, I couldn't get out of Spain for love nor money. I tried pressing shift (the button to launch a plane at the airport) near just about every single object, moving or otherwise with no joy. Frustrated, I began to throw myself off every and any ledge available while I thought about loading up something else. And then I stuck, upside down on a platform... a few excited seconds later and the game literally expanded before my unbelieving eyes. I've never felt so dumb and yet over the moon in all my life. It's now one of my favourite games of all time.

Emulation - After my CPC was stolen in '95, I never really had the opportunity to play another one and to be honest I'd kind of resigned myself to never playing one ever again. Imagine my surprise when mucking about on the internet one night in late '99 and sticking Amstrad into a search engine and up popped some strange program called Caprice. Curious I downloaded it and ran it. When that familiar blue screen with yellow writing popped up I was nearly brought to tears. After another quick search and the iconic tune from Oh Mummy playing through my computer speakers, I actually wept.
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

forestville

Post by forestville » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:11 pm

my favorite video gaming moment from the 80s is playing "saburture 2" on the zx spectrum 128k +2. From the moment it had finished loading from tape and the menu screen appears and that cool 128k music starts playing, was so cool, and in game walking though the tunnels and corridors and jumping of cliffs (to see how much it would take of the energy bar)., the graphics where good and also the game play.

I also liked "cybernoid 1 & 2" i had the multiface 128 on my +2 and put in the invincible cheats and then battled though the entire games until i had finished them. The same goes for saburture 2 you could just jump off the cliffs at the far right side of the game map without that energy bar going down until you reach ground level, and then barge though the enemies without getting hurt, cool

8) 8)
Press play on tape

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Remembering the Sonic cheat you just scabbed from a book in WH Smiths and entering it in front of gobsmacked lurkers in Dixons across the road.

punkpie

Re:

Post by punkpie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 am

Sureshot wrote:Remembering the Sonic cheat you just scabbed from a book in WH Smiths and entering it in front of gobsmacked lurkers in Dixons across the road.
I still remember them for thr Sonic games. Sonic 1: Up C Down C Left C Right C ABC+Start for Debug. Sonic 2: 19 65 9 17 in sound in options menu, 4 1 2 6 1 9 9 2 1 1 2 4 in sound in level select to get Debug mode. Sonic 3 : Up Up Down Down Up Up Up Up on title screen.

Damn I'm geeky...

:wink:

Dastardly

Post by Dastardly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:10 am

So many to choose from

First time I loaded Shadow of the beast on my new Amiga....WOW!

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:34 am

Okay I have a few ...

FFVII (pc) - Finally defeating sepiroth (spelling), after months of playing

Last Ninja (c64) - I remember playing it for the 1st time while on holiday in a caravan with my parents. I had persuaded them to let me take my c64 with me so I could "test" any games I bought to see if they worked. Anyway, the graphics & music completely blew me away. I remember saying to my dad how life like they looked. Funny looking back now

Ultima Online (pc) - 1st time I had played an "on-line" game. Couldn't believe I was talking to real people. I remember asking a character if he was real or a computer character :) Also remember leaving the safety of a town and getting killed for the 1st time and trying to work out how to come back to life as a ghost (actually quite a traumatic experience).

Kaiser (c64) - A little known multi player war/strategy game (see my website www.kaiserpc.co.uk for more info) for the c64. I remember playing this with 6 mates, for around 4 hours. We were just coming to the war stage and it was getting quite tense. Then my mates younger brother wandered into my mates bedroom and accidently knocked the plug out of the wall and we had lost the entire game - we were not best pleased

Pirates (c64) - finally finding your lost brother / sister

Diddy Kong Racing (N64) - finally finding a game my wife actually liked, and was pretty good at (for a girl :wink: )

loads more that I can't think of at the moment

chinnyhill10

Re: From the forum question for issue 21

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Due to popular demand, we've decided to bring back the 'From the Forum' section for the letters page.

this month's question is the following.

What's your favourite videogame moment?
Facing the Staypuft Marshmallow man in Ghostbusters on the CPC. The tension builds as the ghosts start rushing towards the central point on the map and everything is out of control. You then have to race across town and face the Marshmallow man.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:48 am

Gotta be finding the fourth piece of the amulet on Sabre wulf. I had a route through the jungle that hit all the dead end amulet rooms but I seemed to be able to manage to miss chunks out when I got going and would therefore get to the witchdoctor with only three pieces of the amulet. The thought of back tracking right through the map wasn't particularly appealing!

or....

On the original tombraider, Going into what seemed like a pleasant green valley, waterfalls everywhere, a good scattering of medikits, then the ground starts to tremble, lightly at first then heavily and all of a sudden you're running for your life while the T-Rex snaps at your heals. Great moment the first time you bump into him!!!!!

or....

The first time you beat your gobby mate 10-3 on sensi soccer. The triumph, the humiliation!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:16 pm

Ritchardo mkII wrote: Emulation - After my CPC was stolen in '95, I never really had the opportunity to play another one and to be honest I'd kind of resigned myself to never playing one ever again. Imagine my surprise when mucking about on the internet one night in late '99 and sticking Amstrad into a search engine and up popped some strange program called Caprice. Curious I downloaded it and ran it. When that familiar blue screen with yellow writing popped up I was nearly brought to tears. After another quick search and the iconic tune from Oh Mummy playing through my computer speakers, I actually wept.
Ah, I can go one better. I first went online in mid 1995. Amstrad Action was still just about alive and they had given out a URL of a good CPC site.

I typed in the URL and was (slowly) taken to this site. It had a CPC emulator on there (I'd already been using Speccy emulation on my Amiga since 1993) so I spent over an hour downloading the 500k file from this Spanish website (you have to remember that the net hadn't really taken off at this stage and things were very slow indeed).

I remember then loading up the emulator in DOS and playing Roland in Space which I had also downloaded. It didn't matter that I still had a working CPC in my room, this was a technical achievement! An Amstrad CPC running on my 486 SX50. Although at that stage the emulation was still pretty ropey (out of tune sound and no border). I think the emulator was CPCEMU.

Those were the days!

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:05 pm

I have 2 favourite videogame moments:

First, beating my brother-inlaw from the States on his own Sega Genesis at Evander "Real Deal" Holyfield's Boxing in the summer of 92/93, and it was my first go. (by far one of the best boxing games I have ever played)

Second , would be the 1st time I played miner 2049er on my Old Atari 400 back in '83 (the same day my mum blew it up with hot coffee and a hair dryer. I had waited 2 months for it to be delivered and had to wait a further 2 months before I could play it again). For the time, Bill Hogues game from Big Five Software was way ahead of some other platform games I had played and I remember bragging to my friends and arguing with Commodaore owners about the game... ahh (take deep breath and sigh with blissful reminiscence)!
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Hiroke

Post by Hiroke » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Oh so many! But one of my fondest memories was when I first powered up my (then) new PlayStation.

Jax

Post by Jax » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:46 pm

First time I loaded Crazy Comets on the C64 , when that started up
my Jaw just dropped, so Imagine what happened when I loaded up Mega Apocalypse for the first time :lol:

and biggest moment for me, was seeing and using Dpaint on an Amiga A1000 on release week 8) IIRC press F8 and you got cycle paint mode, that just stunned me, and I went on to buy and program the miggy for 8 years, damn, and still to date own the only two know A1200XL/030 cards from ASL 8)

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:46 pm

That bit in "The Secret of Monkey Island" when you have to earn Meathook's respect by antagonising the parrot. Instead of having your standard commands at the bottom of the screen ("Talk", "Open", etc) you had "Prod", "Poke", "Tickle" and so on. Sometimes it's the simple things that make you happy.