From the forum question for issue 21

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:27 am

Here's mine - which i already submitted for Retro Survival, so sorry for repetition.. still makes me well up, mind...

It was the 1994 World Cup and we had some Spanish exchange students staying at our place. We would huddle round the console and take turns on the challenges, each of us honing our skills on a particular stage. I became the jet-pack and hang-gliding missions man, while others would take on the sky-diving or plane landing. Staying up far too late, becoming really good as a team…

Not only is it a wonderful game and so inextricably tied up with a happy time in my life, it also has my single favourite gaming moment. Each stage is introduced by a flight instructor and one is a particularly stern and demanding moustached bloke, who is quick to point out your failings. Once, everything clicked and we all put in perfect performances on each of his flying tests, and this instructor started crying for joy. I can still see the tears rolling down his puffy cheeks and onto his bushy ‘tache. We all just stared at the screen, touched and intensely proud. It had been emotional.

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 am

markopoloman wrote:Ahhhhhh - but what version of chiller?????
I listened to both!

Preferred the replacement tune to the version of Thriller, TBH.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 am

Not sure if it counts, but the Christmas that my parents bought me a Spectrum. It was totally unexpected, mainly because it was expensive & we weren't exactly the wealthiest of families. I was absolutely gobsmacked & can only wonder at how long it took my parents to save up for it.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:28 am

The first time I stepped into the sitdown cab of StarWars when I was about 8 down the local travelling carny. I was IN the film. Nothing came close to the imersion you felt flying the trench with Obi Wan speaking to you; and the music, fantastic.

Opening the front door of the Resident Evil mansion and seeing the dogs. That made me jump.

Clocking Stargate on the 2600 and sadly realising that there would never be an end to the game and I may as well just turn it off. My derision of high scores started that day.

Playing Civilisation for 16 hours straight and wondering where the day had gone.

Using the clipping cheat in Doom and seeing Romero's head on the pole. Very funny.

The "place the controller on the floor" bit from Metal Gear Solid 1. The story comes into the real world for a few seconds.

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:13 pm

I remember on the c64 me and my brother were playing wwf wrestle mania, when the wrestlers got to close they engaged in a hand lock which ment you had too wiggle the joystick from left to right really quickly in order to fill a little bar when you filled the bar your character performed a speacial move like a power slam. My brother always won these hand locks but on this day much to his annouance I could not lose one, on about the third hand lock he was determined to bet me so determined in fact he ripped the handle of the joystick out of the base I still wet my self when I think about.

CraigJ

Post by CraigJ » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 am

Playing Knight Lore on the Speccy for the first time - being an Ultimate Play The Game fan I bought the game on the day of release, and it hadn't been reviewed prior to this - expecting another Sabre Wulf type game and finding the isometric 3D graphics....how the hell did they fit that in the humble Spectrum?

I suppose the second one would be then finding out they held back release of this because they didn't think the world was ready for it...

MadHippo

Post by MadHippo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:47 am

Managing to manually dock with a space station in Elite for the first time. The sense of terror as you match the roll of the station, power up the engines and edge forwards, and the intense relief as you are met with those docking effects and the text-based trading status screen.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:20 am

So many moments to choose from!

One of the best Spectrum moments for me was discovering that yes, you really could run down pedestrians in Turbo Esprit!!
And when I first got "eaten" by the giant ants in 3D Ant Attack - that actually freaked me out more than is probably healthy for a 10 year old! :wink:

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:49 am

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer on the C64-

A friend and I lost hours of the summer holiday playing co-op, perfecting passing, launching the ball from the wing into the box and......GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:52 am

Favourite moment had to be getting my first computer, the Spectrum for Xmas. Then spent half my Xmas money on blank C90's and straight away there I was round my friends houses getting 'evaluation' copies of all their games, ahem !

Second best moment was getting a tape-to-tape player so it made that job a bit more easier !!

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:29 am

Been thinking about this one and came up with a few possibles whilst walking to the shops;

1) Completing Io for the first time, it took a couple of weeks to learn it that fully and i wasn't using any cheats - i was determined to finish the thing properly.

2) i haven't actually played or even seen it yet, but there's a moment in Gradius V where two objects barrel out of a space/tima anomoly and the player's onboard computer identifies one as the original Vic Viper to a short but rousing rendition of "Challenger 1985" from Gradius. Gives me goosebumps, that does...!

Thraka

Post by Thraka » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:38 am

This is great reading these!!!

Some more:

Having my dad make me backup all (hundreds!!) the C64 disks to new blank disks because they might go bad someday soon.... I HATED THAT. I still have my C64 and the disks and my kiddie handwriting. Wait.. it looks the same as now! DOH!

Trying to find every way to die in Space Quest 3 just to see the cool graphic that was made to illustrate the end of your demise.

Putting down my XBOX 360 controller to play some C64 games.

martin_f

Post by martin_f » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:04 am

Going up to the shops to buy Pirates Cove for the Vic-20 one day, after reading a review of it in C&VG. I was with 2 good mates, and when we got to the shops, one of them dissapeared, said he had something to do.

I get down to K-MART and they had just sold out of Pirates Cove - boy was I dissapointed (after having saved up my pocket money for ages).

About 2 days later it was my birthday, and low and behold I got pirates cove off a bunch of mates (they all chipped in). The mate that had dissapeared that day at the shops .. had bolted down to k-mart, bought a copy, and told the chick behind the counter to hide all other copies until after I had been there !

Bless.

martin_f

Post by martin_f » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:13 am

Or another one - my granny came to Oz from the UK and brought over Elite for the Apple II. A mate and I then played it continuosly for 2 days straight (no sleep), taking shifts.

What a game ... what a game.

Martin

igbandy

Post by igbandy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:10 pm

two come to mind..

Finishing the arcade version of R-Type for the first time, just a sheer moment of joy

and the other one is

my sister and myself used to play Bubble Bobble on the C-64 in two player mode alot, and the first time that I managed to finish it as Bub without losing a life was fairly memorable as well