From the forum question for issue 21

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum question for issue 21

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:53 am

Due to popular demand, we've decided to bring back the 'From the Forum' section for the letters page.

this month's question is the following.

What's your favourite videogame moment?

Thraka

Post by Thraka » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:22 pm

Do we just reply to this?

I have to say one of my favorite moments was on my C64 running around in Agent USA for a LONG time trying to get my diamond count up, and accidentally running into the FuzzBomb. I just froze. I didn't know what to do! I never could get to him again.

Another of my favorite moments was playing Price of Persia on the PC. On level 4 there is a point where a mirror is blocking your way out of the level. I just sort of looked at it. I mean, it wasn't there before!! So I tried to walk through it, duck through it, nothing. I decided to take a running start and jump through the mirror and a shadow me jumped out the other end! That was so surprising.

-Thraka-

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:27 pm

The bit in Streets of Rage where time stopped for a second so that the police could pull up and bomb the hell out of all the thugs. I've wanted that ability in the real world ever since.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:54 pm

I'd have to say Playing Outrun for the first time in my local arcades. I must have been about 8 or 9 at the time, the graphics were gorgeous, the soundtrack one of the best I've heard, and the idea of driving a Ferarri with a cute blonde sitting next to you... no videogame moment beats that memory for me.

Rob

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:55 pm

Keep em coming guys, this is exactly what I want :)

Thraka

Post by Thraka » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:12 pm

Can I put more even though I got two? You can just pick one if you like one :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Thraka wrote:Can I put more even though I got two? You can just pick one if you like one :D
Do as many as you like, I'll put the best ones in the mag.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Playing Defender of the Crown for the first time.

It was at a computer club I used to go to, and someone was demonstrating the new machine. It was the first time I got my hands on an Amiga. It had a proper operating system; used a mouse; 3.5 inch disks; looked like a 'real' computer (it was an A1000); had 4096 colours; tons of RAM and was fast. We knew it was something special since we had previously seen the Boing! demo.

When he let us play DotC, everyone there was amazed by the graphics and sound and it's one of those special moments that will probably never happen again. These days we don't get those leaps in technology or in the way computers work.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:29 pm

My favourite videogame moment is without a doubt fighting and defeating Dark Falz in Phantasy Star Online 'Challenge Mode'. Weeks of working hard as a close team making our way through each stage, learning from our mistakes, shaving vital seconds off our overall time. After a two-hour run through the final level we warped in to fight Falz, and those minutes were the most tense, exciting, exhilarating few minutes of videogaming I've ever experienced.

When we laid the final blow my heart was pounding through my chest and the sense of achievement was glorious... made all the better for the fact that it took four of us playing as well as we could together to do it.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:19 pm

My Fav moment was visiting the Paylar craft in Mercenary on the 64 and walking out of the wrong door and freefalling back to earth with spinning horizon and surving the landing!

Another great moment was with Interceptor on the Amiga and Landing the Hornet on the Carrier upside down with its little wheels pointing into space, or ejecting into the ground and surving the impact at 500 miles and hour he he :D
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:21 pm

I have a few... but one of most significant and special to me is finally beating C64 Impossible Mission, and proving the title wrong. Many people screw up on the puzzle part, but that was always the easy bit for myself; it was figuring out the rooms properly that took the time. But with hands sweating and careful movement to the door for the underground bunker, the final endgame sequence was revealed. Complete with more speech. A good ending to one of the greatest games ever.

Today I can bust the game in under an hour on any configuration setting, but back then, it seemed a collosal task to do.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm

There's so many, but the first time I ever saw Sonic the Hedgehog running at our local Indoor Market. There was a stall which charged £1 for an hours play of all the latest games and consoles. I was totally blown away, and blew a lot of pocket money on it.

Another was playing Paperboy for the first time on the C64, and being able to throw papers and smash people's windows in. I spent more time damaging people's houses and windows more than playing the game. Considering my dad's trade was fixing glass, he wasn't too amused by it.

Finally, completing Ikari Warriors on the C64 for the first time recently, when I only ever managed 50% when I was young. Only stuck it on for a quick blast and became totally engrossed in it, only to be greeted 20 mins later by the congratulations screen :)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

helloall

Post by helloall » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Watching my mate smash his copy of Kick Off 2 against the wall after I beat him... Then watched him open the Amiga the following week to get the inside of the disk to run again so he could try and get revenge, bliss.

Thraka

Post by Thraka » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:38 pm

Loading up M.U.L.E. (C64) the first time and getting the title music stuck in my head for 20+ years....

Landing the plane in I.F.R. (C64) (which is 100% plane instrumentation) at the age of 5, while my dad couldn't. And there after he refused to ever touch the game again.

Accidentally shooting a crate of ammo in the original Wolfenstien. BAD!

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE. Need I say more? It should be COME BACK TOMORROW

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:46 pm

Another one - C64 this time.

The first time I played on a C64 I was shown Aztec Challenge and I couldn't believe that such amazing sound could come out of a computer! I was humming the tune for days afterwards and I knew I had to get a C64 as soon as possible.