Issue 83 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jeremiah Jones

Re: Issue 83 Feedback

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:18 am

Seems a bit early for the new issue... not that I'm complaining :)

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:20 am

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Seems a bit early for the new issue... not that I'm complaining :)
Im not the only one that thought that then.
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:37 am

He he I'm in the mag! :D :D

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 am

Just to echo the letters page comments - it's always, always a piece of beauty when a smug self-satisfied know-it-all gets a fat, meaty verbal slamdown :D

The piracy article was quite interesting too. Especially as I was reminded of it yesterday after seeing one of the Amiga games at r3play booting up with a cracktro :twisted:

JD!

Post by JD! » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:15 am

Gabe wrote:And so the Nintendo love-in continues for another issue. *sigh*
Gotta admit that was my reaction too.
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Team Alfie wrote:An entertaining start to the letter's pages this month, I thought.

The more Nintendo love the better for me, but is RG really following up an issue with a Donkey Kong Country cover and a Bond article that includes GoldenEye with a big feature on Rare next month?
It looks that way :(

Three nintendo heavy issues in a row is far too unbalanced.
As long as Retro Gamer provides we Sega fans with similar indulgences I honestly won't mind so much. It might sound like an argument out of the 90's console wars, but if this hard-on for Nintendo every issue continues I'll no longer be buying the mag until it's much less Nintendo heavy. It's great for Nintendo fans but it's not something I'm interested in at all.
Just to echo the letters page comments - it's always, always a piece of beauty when a smug self-satisfied know-it-all gets a fat, meaty verbal slamdown
Ooooh, what happened? (Won't have the mag for a while - we Aussies get it three months later than the UK :( )

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:51 am

Wow it's like the bible code were people are discovering stuff that really isn't there.

Unfortunately this is a timing thing. We always tend to tie in big games as it always results in a big lift in sales and a mag like rg needs all the sales it can get. The nintendo stuff is massively scaled back from next issue, simply because all the feedback from the improve the magazine thread will be kicking in.

The December issue was our last chance to cover rare, and it's such an important company that we couldn't turn down the opportunity to visit them. It's just unfortunate timing. Still there is plenty of stuff in the current issue and next months issue that isn't nintendo related and this will continue in the new year. Trust me guys I know what I'm doing and I guarantee that everyone will be moaning that there's too much Anita and pc coverage in the next few issues ;)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 am

Will all the Nintendo hating prats please calm down and stop p*ssing in their panties just because Nintendo Characters have graced the cover for a couple of issues.. The Mario thing was essential due to the anniversary, and Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out on Wii next month and is a big release!

The DKC Article was 6 pages long for f*cks sakes.. the rest of the mag is filled with the usual excellent material like the piracy article, heimdall (amiga), All the Bond Games, Pong creator,as well as loads of games for other systems getting a mention such as Atari ST and Speccy, the homebrew and all the usual articles appear also..

So stop being little b*tches whining about not buying the mag anymore.. iT's 6 pages of Nintendo out of the whole mag

jesus

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 am

ChipTune wrote:Will all the Nintendo hating prats please calm down and stop p*ssing in their panties just because Nintendo Characters have graced the cover for a couple of issues.. The Mario thing was essential due to the anniversary, and Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out on Wii next month and is a big release!

The DKC Article was 6 pages long for f*cks sakes.. the rest of the mag is filled with the usual excellent material like the piracy article, heimdall (amiga), All the Bond Games, Pong creator,as well as loads of games for other systems getting a mention such as Atari ST and Speccy, the homebrew and all the usual articles appear also..

So stop being little b*tches whining about not buying the mag anymore.. iT's 6 pages of Nintendo out of the whole mag

jesus
Have we found out Chiptune's secret identity?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:04 am

14 pages on Donkey Kong - hardly makes the mag Nintendo-centric does it? Donkey Kong Coin-Op Cpaers ties in nicely with the DK feature , and no-one can say that the DK cab hasn't been overdue? It's a smart looking cab (we really need to see Star Wars though).

With Nintendo being a core constituent of retro gaming , it's hardly suprising that they feature regularly in the mag.

Note I'm not a Nintendo die-hard , or indeed Sega ; if RG was my mag , it would feature computers only (with the exception of the 2600)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 am

JD! wrote: Ooooh, what happened? (Won't have the mag for a while - we Aussies get it three months later than the UK :( )
Basically, imagine someone pointlessly bitching and whining, total superiority complex, being incredibly smug and patronising, excessively critical and overly personal, insinuating RG know nothing about gaming.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:50 am

I would find it a bit odd if there was no Nintendo content...they are the most important company in video gaming (old and new)

The covers have been quite nintendo heavy lately - but so what....

I have to agree with the earlier comment - find something constructive to censored about.....

The magazine is superb and every issue MUST have something popular and something obscure

Darren take the criticism on board but dont change for the few noisy gets who wouldnt be happy unless it was gold plated and given away free....

:evil: stupid gets

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:I would find it a bit odd if there was no Nintendo content...they are the most important company in video gaming (old and new)

The covers have been quite nintendo heavy lately - but so what....

I have to agree with the earlier comment - find something constructive to censored about.....

The magazine is superb and every issue MUST have something popular and something obscure

Darren take the criticism on board but dont change for the few noisy gets who wouldnt be happy unless it was gold plated and given away free....

:evil: stupid gets
Another simpleton who doesn't quite understand the feedback thread.....

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:40 am

:wink: I cannot recal the last issue of RG who`s cover did NOT get some reaction from someone, somewhere. The Sega MD collection, MS Game Room, Miss Croft, The GB, Flaps, Pull-out bits etc. Waiting to see if future issues just come with the usual Retrogamer/Old top section, rest of front left blank or plain white and pack of felt tips attached so folks can draw what they`d like to see on there.Anywho, from what i`ve read so far:Ian Lee`s column, yet again a very good read:Past few months have found myself warming to this a lot-So keep the quality coming Ian.DKC feature-Personally skipped as not my thing, Similar with Primal Rage, but fact they are covered has no negative effect on my enjoyment of the issue.Loved the Obscura Machina feature-Cannot wait to see what else is covered in future months, off to a flying start.Also the Don`t Copy That Floppy.Lenslok was the work of Satan.You`d spend an age praying your A8 Bit game would load, then faced with this???.Devious, flawed creation.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:51 am

ChipTune wrote:Will all the Nintendo hating prats please calm down and stop p*ssing in their panties just because Nintendo Characters have graced the cover for a couple of issues.. The Mario thing was essential due to the anniversary, and Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out on Wii next month and is a big release!

jesus
You are exactly the type of person that can make this forum an unpleasant place to visit at times.

And good job on the counting there, too.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:08 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Another simpleton who doesn't quite understand the feedback thread.....
It's funny, isn't it? So many people on this forum are so precious and sycophantic it's unreal.

For those too stupid/ignorant to understand, nobody in here is saying Nintendo shouldn't get coverage.

What people are commenting on is the sheer amount of coverage of either Nintendo or Nintendo-exclusive games that has been in the magazine over the last 6 months (which has been disproportionate compared to any other platform by far, a point I have made and Darran has responded to in another thread as well as this one).

Nobody is saying it shouldn't be there, more that it'd be nicer to space it out somewhat.

Darran: Any comment about potential seasonally-themed stuff next issue?