Issue 83 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Issue 83 Feedback

Post by the_hawk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 am

Just about to head out to R3play & what should pop through my door?.....
photo.JPG
Last edited by the_hawk on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

the_hawk

Re: Issue 83 Reedback

Post by the_hawk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 am

It's a big foldy out too!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Gabe

Re: Issue 83 Feedback

Post by Gabe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 am

And so the Nintendo love-in continues for another issue. *sigh* I know Darran has said that the coverage of it will tone down a bit, but still, this is another issue that'll be a slog to get through. Interested in the Bond and piracy features, and that's pretty much it.

Next month certainly doesn't look to inspire, either.

I appreciate you won't want to spoil any surprises Darran, but does next month's issue have anything seasonally-themed in it?

bsg

Post by bsg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:39 am

Postie has just brought mine for me and he rang the bell saying he didn't want to post it in case it got damaged - you can tell it's nearly Christmas :lol: )

Quite looking forward to reading the piracy article and revisiting the pain and suffering caused by Lenslok - awful invention and if I can find it, I just may dig my bix boxed Elite out to put myself through the torment again :D

DAMMIT - the last thing I needed was an article on the C64GS... had a few big bills in this week but now I am scouring Ebay 'cos I want one to go with my Amstrad GX4000 - GRRRRR, BAD RetroGamer :wink:

The Radical Software article was an excellent read (I skipped straight to that) and very informative...

There does seem to be rather a lot of 'non retro' related items this month... just saying is all, not complaining :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:19 am

YAY NEW RETRO GAMER MAG THROUGH THE DOOR!

The perfect cure for a hangover!

Im a bif Nintendo fan so am stoked about the donkey kong stuff, but even for non-nintendo fans (as the guy above mentions with a sigh) there is sh*t-loads to get your teeth into.. the Bond feature looks ace,, the back to the 90s took me back from the screenshots alone.. Heimdall on AMIGA - YES!!!!

And the homebrew section is awesome as usual - L'abbayye Des Morts is featured.. I harped on about this in another thread so good to see the mag covering these awesome retro freeware games on PC

Looking forward to reading it later!

Cheers

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:00 am

Just opened my copy and I'm hugely disappointed.

Another issue that looks like it's been sponsored by Nintendo. Although I'm not a big Mario fan I didn't mind the coverage last month but to get another issue straight after that is full of nintendo stuff is very annoying.

As mentioned above, the piracy article looks good, as does the bond stuff, but if I didn't subscribe I would happily skip this issue.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 am

bsg wrote:Postie has just brought mine for me and he rang the bell saying he didn't want to post it in case it got damaged - you can tell it's nearly Christmas
Lucky you - my postie didn't and its fair to say that the fold out bits are well and truly f*cked :(
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:12 am

mine got posted through with no problems. But it was wrapped in plastic with the address label between the cover and the plastic. Is that not how all the sub copies come then? I'm particularly liking the copy protection article and some of the more esoteric protection methods.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 am

I've only just opened mine but I have to say for starters that I'm very impressed that RG won the Games Media Award 'Games Magazine 2010'. Congratulations to all the staff!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:19 am

An entertaining start to the letter's pages this month, I thought.

The more Nintendo love the better for me, but is RG really following up an issue with a Donkey Kong Country cover and a Bond article that includes GoldenEye with a big feature on Rare next month?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

Team Alfie wrote:An entertaining start to the letter's pages this month, I thought.

The more Nintendo love the better for me, but is RG really following up an issue with a Donkey Kong Country cover and a Bond article that includes GoldenEye with a big feature on Rare next month?
It looks that way :(

Three nintendo heavy issues in a row is far too unbalanced.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Looks like Nintendo have sent a load of Marios gold coins to Imagine again this month for sure.

Oh and that letter - yeah!! Good start to the letters page.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Just had a nice couple of hours reading the latest issue

Hate the cover - as a collector of every issue of Retro gamer, I cant stand the split covers.....but never mind the stuff inside was great

I have now realised that the Iain Lee is a very important article and it has taken me quite a while to realise that this and other articles are witty and very well written (apologies to Iain - as I have slated him in the past)

The piracy article was good, but missed out on a lot.. (features on anti piracy loading systems, copying devices and ways the pirates got round the cartridge systems would have been a nice padding factor to a great article)

The Pong article was good as it debunked the old myth that Pong was an overnight success

That will do as I am now going to play Donkey Konga

Well done 85/100

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Why is my post on twice

Why is my post on twice

Just been to link my new amiga a600 up and popped the disc for f1 grand prix in - to be asked for a word from the manual (which is in the bottom of a box in the loft)

switched it off and put sensi soccer on instead

Piracy my arse - its just a chore

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Congratulations for the award! I must mention the fact that I got in the magazine (only breifly mind you, top corner of page 104 ), thanks guys! Im gonna run back to the farm and tell the folks. :P
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!