Homebrew - Love it or loathe it?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Love it
68%
Loathe it
7%
Can take it or leave it
22%
Something else
2%

Total votes: 95

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:16 am

Reading another thread, this quote got me thinking...
kelp7 wrote:Although the only upsetting thing I keep reading on here is the lack of support or interest in homebrew. I think it's awesome that new games are coming out on my old favourite 8-bit computers. I still think it's relevant as the technology itself is retro. Very retro. And, if it were still possible to purchase C64 games or CPC games in the shops, then I for one would still be buying them ;) I'm not sure I understand why people don't like them, what was the cut-off year for you personally when you have lost interest in these great retro machines and the software that people were writing for them?
I personally love it. Although my love of retro games primarily comes from nostalgia of the games I actually played back in the day, seeing what labours of love dedicated people can produce is really interesting to me.

The release I've been most excited about in the last couple of months hasn't been on any of your fancy new platforms, it's genuinely been the spectrum conversion of Horace in the Mystic Woods, which as it turns out is all kinds of ace.

Anyway I thought I'd start a poll, hopefully to show that there's a lot of love for the Homebrew section out there. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

merman

Re: Homebrew - Love it or loathe it?

Post by merman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:04 am

Gotta love it - good to see how much more can be wrung out of "old" machines, good to see games making the jump to a different format so more people can play them, good to see how many puns TMR can force into a column ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 am

Love it - its the first regular section i turn to .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:19 am

Love it, same as the above, first part of the mag i turn to.

Some of the games still coming out (Specially on the Speccy) are a very good quality. Obviously have the same look and feel as old Speccy classics, some great graphics and gameplay as well. Cant wait to see the review of Horace, best homebrew game for a long time (and theres been some gems this year)

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:47 am

I voted love it. I just posted on the knight n grail thread where I said more people should support homebrew. A game is a game, regardless of whether it has a multi-million pound budget, or if its coded in someones bedroom for the speccy/c64/etc - some are good, some are bad, but all games are as valid as each other.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:59 am

Love it. Is one of my favourate regular sections of the mag

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 am

I think I would say that I LIKE it. Don't want it gone, don't want it bigger.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 am

It is usually the last part of the mag I will read but it has its place. I have very little interst in playing new games for such old formats. Pity there are not more SNES and MD roms made. That would be cool.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 am

I chose take it or leave it. I understand why people like Homebrew on older systems and if I could program I would really enjoy making a game for the Speccy. However, I rarely play a homebrew game and don't follow the community online. The reason is that there are still far too many current and retro games on my 'to play' list to make time for the homebrew games as well.

However, I quite like the retro remakes. If a game is on my to play list and a decent remake is made then I'll often play that instead of the original.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 am

Love it. But it isn't just about the C64. I'm also involved with 2600, 7800 and Vectrex homebrew as well, especially in the playtesting department. No surprise perhaps that I own every single release for the latter two formats as well...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:57 pm

What's not to love?

Homebrew, be it for old or new platforms, is a wonderful thing.

Its just like commercial games - some are good, some are bad. You can't dismiss them all just because there's a lot of junk around else you'd never play any games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Absolutely love it - first part of the magazine that I read each month.

I find it really fascinating that people are still making games for the old machines, especially as the offerings quite often push the machines to the limit in ways that didn't seem quite possible years ago.

It also thrills me when I can buy a hard copy of a new game for a vintage system as well - that for me is much more exciting than reading about a current gen console game with a (very) tenuous link to the past...

Was quite shocked when that editor chappie signalled his dislike for the subject (in the feedback section for this month's issue I think).
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Love it.

Obviously it's never going to hold the same place in my affections as the games I played back in the day, but it's often right up there in the technical aspects, and occasionally you'll see someone push the hardware into doing something that's never been done before or you never thought was even possible.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:11 pm

LOVE IT.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:24 am

I could honestly care less about homebrew. It's just never appealed to me. Why? I don't know. It just doesn't.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")