final fantasy games what one do you think is the best

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Smurph

Re: final fantasy games what one do you think is the best

Post by Smurph » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 pm

If we're only talking about the main series, probably 7, with 9 and 13 nearby. Yes, I absolutely loved 13. to whoever said the battle system sucked, you are wrong. No opinion here, just wrong :wink: In all seriousness, when you get far enough into the game, it really shines. It's a pity most were put off by the overly long tutorial, as it's really good. Anyway, I digress.

Other than the main series though, I've got to say Tactics Advance is a belter of a game. I've spent hundreds of hours on that thing, thank god for handhelds in work :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Smurph wrote: to whoever said the battle system sucked, you are wrong. No opinion here, just wrong :wink: In all seriousness, when you get far enough into the game, it really shines.
Any battle system that automatically kills you with Doom spells if you take too long is bad. :wink:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 am

Best Final Fantasy game for me was Warlock of Firetop Mountain, very tough maze though ;)

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 am

Final Fantasy 7.

Also loved 10, seemed a step up!

Got bored with 8. Also enjoyed Mystic Quest for a blast.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 am

FFVII, and I'm convinced it always will be my favourite.

benjumanji

Post by benjumanji » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 am

VII will always be my favourite - yes, it was the first one I played and the first proper JRPG I played, but the story just drew me in and didn't let go until a few months later when I finished it! It also looked absolutely fantastic with the FMVs seemingly blending into the gameplay.

I managed to find a copy of the PC version a few years ago and so I have always had a game on the go even long after my PS1 broke. Although now it's on PSN there's no excuse at all!
Oh, IX will be my 2nd choice - pushed the PS1 to the limit and went back to the 'proper' FF battle system that I know and love!

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:06 pm

A chap at the car boot, saw I had a copy of Final 7 and basically went off on one about how rubbish it's compared to 8. He reckoned the combat system on 7 was all broken. I have seen 8, but never played it. I always thought 7 was the best I've ever played, and missed 8 because of mates telling me it wasn't as good. Is he talking complete shizzle?

benjumanji

Post by benjumanji » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:05 pm

FF8's battle system is just bizarre having come after 7....sure, the junctioning system had potential but in order for it to be any good you had to 'draw' magic from enemies - this means that quite often you just sat in battles sapping magic from the baddies. In a word, boring. Plus, if you used the spells you had 'junctioned' to your abilities, your abilities would diminish......which was annoying :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:10 pm

benjumanji wrote:FF8's battle system is just bizarre having come after 7....sure, the junctioning system had potential but in order for it to be any good you had to 'draw' magic from enemies - this means that quite often you just sat in battles sapping magic from the baddies. In a word, boring. Plus, if you used the spells you had 'junctioned' to your abilities, your abilities would diminish......which was annoying :lol:
It gets easier later on when you get the GF abilities to refine spells from items. Suddenly, loads of useless items become a mass of useful spells. Also, if you aren't OCD about keeping all of the cards, they too can be refined for a quick stock of powerful items and spells.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:45 am

I love VII and VIII but I've played XII the most.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Currently playing the original FF game on PSP. It is a nice little game actually. Little story light but it feels like I owe it to the series to complete it.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:10 pm

nakamura wrote:Currently playing the original FF game on PSP. It is a nice little game actually. Little story light but it feels like I owe it to the series to complete it.
I've got in on GBA and it's pretty cool. The music to go with the final boss is some of my favourite in all FF games (the version from the remakes at least).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

siamesegiant

Post by siamesegiant » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:49 am

FF VII was a total game changer. It's the only JRPG where I've maxed out all the characters and the clock and collected everything. I'm replaying it on the PSP now. VIII was a crushing disappointment for me. Characters who were unengaging at best and damn irritating at worst, the endless drawing of spells during battle, and those GF animations that last all day just ruined it for me.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 am

And 8 - loved the card game.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

I've never played any of these, they're for girls :P
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip