From the forum question for Issue 30

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Would have to say Alone in the Dark.

I found the atmosphere and execution of this game to be of a different class to others around at the time.

With a half decent sound card each step around the house set my ringpiece tweeting. However being a soft southern puff was probably the main cause of this :wink:

thundercat

Post by thundercat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 pm

Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation for me. Was just great playing through the fantastic levels, and an action game i was actually good at, at the time. I then found out you can unlock more things the more times you complete it, although this sounded cool (unlocking a cloak for example) playing through again and again was just not as exciting as the first time.

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:36 pm

pantal00ns wrote:Would have to say Alone in the Dark.

I found the atmosphere and execution of this game to be of a different class to others around at the time.

With a half decent sound card each step around the house set my ringpiece tweeting. However being a soft southern puff was probably the main cause of this :wink:
Yeah, that was a scary game - especially when that huge bird thing breaks through the attic window. I damn near hit the ceiling the first time that happened!

Darn, now I'm gonna have to track it down and play it again. Sure hope it works on Windows XP!

mosh

Post by mosh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:50 am

It has to be Karnov... I'd kill to play that game for the first time again. That game has it all, great puzzles, a fat guy who shoots fire, and fun powerups... all in a game I've never managed to finish.

TheHammerGod

Post by TheHammerGod » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Loom on the TurboDuo. What a fantastic game with a wonderful story and a very creative "combat" twist with making the music and all. I loved playing that game back in the day.
Visit www.30secondgamers.org for your Nintendo hand-held reviews!

jumpman

Post by jumpman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:51 am

Super Mario Brothers. That game dominated my childhood and I didn't even own it. So simple and yet if I could discover it fresh now I'd still be totally blown away.

waeberd

Post by waeberd » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:51 pm

* Boulder Dash 2 on the C64, first puzzle game I fell in love with.

* Pitstop 2 on the C64, first head to head racer I fell in love with.

* Final Fantasy X on the PS2, I was *really* sad when I finished it!!

* GTA 3 cause I miss the great feeling while discovering the depth and freedom of this gem!!

* Archon 2 cause they don't do games like that anymore :-)

Mad Gerald

Post by Mad Gerald » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:17 am

Tetris.

Officially a crap gamer - but one that works for SEGA