Why I stopped reading Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: Why I stopped reading Retro Gamer

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Gabe wrote:Why should somebody buy something that doesn't interest them at that given moment in time?
I think the point people are making is that if you subscribe, you could set fire to a third of the issues you get and still get better value than buying from the newsstands.
And as for those who talk about 'supporting the mag', do all the issues Jimbo bought not count?
What, you mean the 'large' amount of Apple coverage (all of half a page this month—a review of DoDonPachi Resurrection)? Or maybe the fact people are reinterviewed? (So should we have scrapped SWOS or Cannon Fodder? Defender or Robotron? Etc.) Or the coverage of modern games, which takes up naff-all space, and has in fact been a feature of Retro Gamer since its very first issue anyway?

If jimbo doesn't find value in Retro Gamer these days, fair enough. But frankly if someone wants to go all dramatic and offer a 'final' post entitled 'Why I stopped reading Retro Gamer', with a load of claims that have little basis in fact, it's hardly surprising people will react the way they have.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 pm

as much as i love him, jimbo has never been short on drama :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:09 pm

CraigGrannell wrote: If jimbo doesn't find value in Retro Gamer these days, fair enough. But frankly if someone wants to go all dramatic and offer a 'final' post entitled 'Why I stopped reading Retro Gamer', with a load of claims that have little basis in fact, it's hardly surprising people will react the way they have.
Spot on with that comment Craig.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Gabe wrote:Why should somebody buy something that doesn't interest them at that given moment in time?
I think the point people are making is that if you subscribe, you could set fire to a third of the issues you get and still get better value than buying from the newsstands.
And as for those who talk about 'supporting the mag', do all the issues Jimbo bought not count?
What, you mean the 'large' amount of Apple coverage (all of half a page this month—a review of DoDonPachi Resurrection)? Or maybe the fact people are reinterviewed? (So should we have scrapped SWOS or Cannon Fodder? Defender or Robotron? Etc.) Or the coverage of modern games, which takes up naff-all space, and has in fact been a feature of Retro Gamer since its very first issue anyway?

If jimbo doesn't find value in Retro Gamer these days, fair enough. But frankly if someone wants to go all dramatic and offer a 'final' post entitled 'Why I stopped reading Retro Gamer', with a load of claims that have little basis in fact, it's hardly surprising people will react the way they have.
I don't see that point having been made at all, more that a number of people have said they buy it regardless of whether an issue is to their taste or not as if to not do that is wrong.

And besides, who is to say you (the Royal you) would get more value? If he subscribed and found that he only liked 2 of the issues he wouldn't. Extreme example maybe, but only he can answer that (and even then only retrospectively). Maybe he doesn't want to take the chance?

As for your second point, that has absolutely nothing to do with the quote of mine you pulled out so I don't see any relevance. I was (again) responding to the point made about 'subscribing and supporting the mag' - I merely asked if the issues he had bought to this point count as supporting the mag?

I never said I agreed or disagreed with him at all, I was more taking issue with the comment suggesting he was being silly/rash/whatever for choosing not to buy it. I agree that making a thread basically saying goodbye to the forum is rather meladramtic, but at least he gives his reasons, to which Darran replied.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 am

Gabe wrote:I don't see that point having been made at all, more that a number of people have said they buy it regardless of whether an issue is to their taste or not as if to not do that is wrong.
Granted if 4 issues in a row i found completely dire then i would stop buying it. But i cant believe theres an issue where 100% of it people dislike (and say thats the same for 4 straight issues).

And yep if someone 'stops buying RG its good for Darren and co to know why. But you have to admit ANY 'goodbye i'm going...' type threads are a bit laughable. To me personally its difficult to take his comments seriously when the latest post on his blog hes spent time drawing Sonic the Hedgehog with a pen!s. Hmmm !

Okay Jimbo stopped buying RG but hopefully his alter ego 'Pauline' or whatever 'her' name was will still be buying it ;)

He'll come back to RG with another username as an 'experiment' or something. Look for a user next week called Jimboletta ;)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:16 am

I`ll soon be canceling my sub.to Empire magazine, after being a reader/Subscriber for a no.of years.Why? Just finding so little of interest in it, month after month.It still covers films/DVD`s, games etc, just like it always has, yet somethings gone astray.I find myself just not enjoying the magazine anymore.Guess point i`m (trying) to make here?Any Apple,Homebrew or what ever coverage that has come into RG over past 18 months, whilst may be a change of direction for the magazine, has done NOTHING to dilute the strength of the magazine.Show me where else you can constantly find such a wealth of well written articles and features, month in, month out, as RG delivers.The team at RG, work wonders every month.As Darren will no doubt testify, i`ve never been 1 to 'hold back' if i find an issue with a piece :wink: ,but by god i`ve yet to find a magazine that holds my interest quite so well and/or has such a splendid mix of features every month.

ikari_paul

Post by ikari_paul » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:19 pm

well, personally, i couldnt care less about Spectrum & C64, and event though every issue feels the need to have a feature related to them, i still buy the mag. actually, im resubscribing tomorrow (only 2 mags left ;-) )

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:25 pm

psj3809 wrote:Granted if 4 issues in a row i found completely dire then i would stop buying it. But i cant believe theres an issue where 100% of it people dislike (and say thats the same for 4 straight issues).

And yep if someone 'stops buying RG its good for Darren and co to know why. But you have to admit ANY 'goodbye i'm going...' type threads are a bit laughable. To me personally its difficult to take his comments seriously when the latest post on his blog hes spent time drawing Sonic the Hedgehog with a pen!s. Hmmm !
But it isn't about disliking 100% of it, is it? You only have to dislike certain elements/features to be put off getting it. And it doesn't have to be consecutive issues, either; a certain level of apathy towards the mag can build up, and people have other things to do with their time/money. Back in the Live days I stopped getting the mag, because in a more general level I wasn't that enthused about it, and I've been happy to miss issues (prior to subbing) that didn't appeal - sometimes based purely on the cover feature.

To those that idolise the mag (and I actually mean that as a compliment, it's an important group of consumers) then I can understand why Jimbo's decision can seem churlish/strange, but I'd imagine there is quite a fair turnover of semi-regular readers each month (hence why covers sometimes try to tap into current releases).

As for your other point, I have agreed previously that a "goodbye" thread is a bit overly-dramatic - but that doesn't devalue his issues (which may or may not be factually correct - doesn't really matter if it is what he thinks).

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 pm

As already stated, I took issue because his complaints didn't make a great deal of sense when you compare them to the magazine's actual content.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

rodarkone

Post by rodarkone » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Maybe it will sound strange to you guys, but you don't know what you are missing, I am from Romania, here there is no retro gaming history AT ALL - some collectors (you can count them on fingers) we didn't have any Atari 2600 official release (just some clones) we didn't had any NES console (but another chinese clones) we pirated our Playstation 1 games, our PS2 games and we runned the Xbox games from the harddrive. In Romania words like modchip or burned games are more common that original in box, complete in box - all of this didn't stop me to love old video games (I am a late bloomer - I started collecting video games in late 2005) but I just love all the things related to video game history and I love to read magazines, this are a rare breed - here we had 3 or 4 big names on magazine market (Level, XtremPC, PC games and Game Over ) but slowly almost all are gone (just 1 left and from my understanding is almost in bankrupt - of course I don't know if Retro Gamer is the best magazine out there but it is surely in the Top. If you don't like an issue, or a few issues - don't dispar - there is a forum, you can help improve the next issue, you can point to a good idea - so DO THAT. Don't let your history die, you will regret it later.

PS: sorry if my reply sounded lame but if you don't appreciate a good thing until it's gone (like most of art works) it's sad.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Excellent post Rodarkone. I just think that some people are plain spoilt/greedy, and that's simply all there is to it.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:16 pm

ncf1 wrote:Excellent post Rodarkone. I just think that some people are plain spoilt/greedy, and that's simply all there is to it.
What? Spoilt or greedy for *choosing* to not buy a magazine? What is wrong with some of you people?

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:18 pm

I subscribe for the simple reason that I read every single word in every single issue (alright, maybe not the legal blurb and ads etc). In every issue there are articles that I would have thought held no interest for me whatsoever, but I read them anyway and end up enjoying them and learning something new.

RG is the only magazine I have read cover to cover regularly for around 15 years (since Zero magazine and ST Format). Reading mainstream magazines (even the good ones) results in me skipping great chunks - usually previews and reviews. We should consider ourselves lucky that there is a magazine out there about the history of videogames that is mostly editorial content, after all, this is the type of article that takes the most effort, time and journalistic skill. So thanks to everyone who puts their heart and soul into RG. Long may it continue.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

rodarkone

Post by rodarkone » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Gabe wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Excellent post Rodarkone. I just think that some people are plain spoilt/greedy, and that's simply all there is to it.
What? Spoilt or greedy for *choosing* to not buy a magazine? What is wrong with some of you people?
No man - it's not the point - buying or not buying something is a consumer choice - what I wrote is just an warning - the retro gaming is dying because the people that are nostalgic enough are getting older.

I collect retro games not because I played them 20 years ago but because I enjoy playing them now, the culture (known as retro gaming) predates the internet so a lot of gaming history is already forgoten.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:07 pm

rodarkone wrote:
Gabe wrote:
No man - it's not the point - buying or not buying something is a consumer choice - what I wrote is just an warning - the retro gaming is dying because the people that are nostalgic enough are getting older.

I collect retro games not because I played them 20 years ago but because I enjoy playing them now, the culture (known as retro gaming) predates the internet so a lot of gaming history is already forgoten.
I wasn't actually responding to your comment, Rodakone, though I have no idea why you think retro gaming is dying.