ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:56 pm

were/are the covers done by the same person? From the variety over the last 80 odd issues, I'd assumed they were from loads of different artists.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:10 pm

mikeb wrote:Also, most of the people I talked to had left by the time Parker were breaking into the 8-bit home computer market, and none knew the names of the people involved in the likes of Gyruss or Mr Do's Castle (I get the feeling they may have been outsourced to freelance programmers rather than in-house ones.) Plus of course the fact that Parker Bros never credited their programmers doesn't help...
A lot of companies did this for their non-Atari stuff. Sega and Atarisoft both used third party programmers for their C64 titles.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

JD!

Post by JD! » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:26 am

merman wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Wow - over 20% of the mag on 1 subject - That's not good if you don't like the subject!
Or look at it this way. The anniversary prompted one issue where Mario was the dominant feature and it won't happen again for a while. That still leaves a heck of a lot of magazine on other subjects.
I hope you guys give Sonic the same honour when it's his turn. :!:

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:16 am

I like the idea of you doing fun covers, though after seeing the fotograph of the 'opened' calender, I'm sure I'll try to keep my copy closed, so to speak.

...when I finally will receive one, that is.

Seems whatever production delays Darran hinted at hit us international subscribers the hardest :( I've been a subscriber of the Imagine era Retro Gamer pretty much from the beginning, but the current issue is way, way late.. almost a week longer overdue than ever before and still no sign of it here in Germany :(

dubchaser

Post by dubchaser » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:21 am

JD! wrote:I hope you guys give Sonic the same honour when it's his turn. :!:

Me too. Sonic's much more desirable than Mario as a Character.
Dedicated to the Atari Lynx, Jaguar and Jaguar CD:
www.retrosprite.co.uk

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
NorthWay wrote:(and sorry, but I don't like the style of your new artist)
Don't apologise mate. Art is subjective.
Timothy Lumsden wrote:were/are the covers done by the same person? From the variety over the last 80 odd issues, I'd assumed they were from loads of different artists.
Think NorthWay was talking about the illustrations at the top of Iain Lee and Paul Davis's columns, they do seem to have provoked a marmite response from most readers that have posted their opinions on the matter.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:55 am

Thank you gents for another great issue
No, I'm not a lover of Mario but I will read it because of his importance in the history of our great retro subject

bsg

Post by bsg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:43 am

I've got to admit, I came into this issue all ready to hate the Mario feature... and now I am all full up with humble pie - excellent job!

Just at the Leather Goddess of Phobos article but really want to skip to the making of Gorf... one question regarding that, what computer is Jamie Fenton using in the photograph???

I've bitten a big hole in my mouth from restraining myself to run ahead and read the Parker Brothers article - i'm quite anal (hehehehe) in reading from cover to cover in order...
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Having fun reading through the issue. Totally made my day to see my comment posted in it. Many Thanks!
Curious...

1. Who wrote the piece on 2D Gaming? Loved how it illustrated the parallels to hand-drawn animation's struggles

2. Has the "Let's All Play: Super Castlevania IV" piece been scrapped?

3. As forum member "jest" mentioned, I'm also wondering about Alex Trowers' comment on page 32 being cut short

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I know, but is is like ...I can see he is skilled, but using that "coloured-in pencil shadings" style totally does not work for me. It is the underlying pencilwork that destroys it for me.
The effect is that it looks great at a distance, but close up I'm not happy about it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:42 am

NorthWay wrote:
I know, but is is like ...I can see he is skilled, but using that "coloured-in pencil shadings" style totally does not work for me. It is the underlying pencilwork that destroys it for me.
The effect is that it looks great at a distance, but close up I'm not happy about it.
Perhaps we could include a pole with your issue and you can use one of those comedy grab hands to turn the pages ;)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 am

dubchaser wrote:

Behave.. how on earth is the awful blue hedgehog better than Mario.. now I dont love mario, but he is inoffensive and his games are good fun,. However Sonic is a sh*t character.. he reeks of ad ment coming up with someting 'cool & rad' for the kids.. he is on the same level as Chester Cheeto, Cool Spot, or Fido Dido.. and his games are utter crap.. running through levels where everything zips by, occation stopping when you hit a wall or spikes.. pointless extra characters like Tails and Knuckles.. The games just plain suck and they are boring as hell.. With Mario you can feel like you are actually exploring whereas sonic you just hold right on the controller and wait till you reach the end of another monotonous level..

I have bought every issue of retro game and will of course buy one with sonic as a main feature, but it will be hard to resist tearing out the pages so I dont have to look at his smug stupid, crazy-frog ad, face

F*Ck Sonic and all his sh*t games

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Perhaps we could include a pole with your issue and you can use one of those comedy grab hands to turn the pages ;)
Poles. Hands. Grabbing. Pull the other one...

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:10 am

Jeremiah Jones wrote:2. Has the "Let's All Play: Super Castlevania IV" piece been scrapped?
I've been wondering the same thing for a while now too. I check on the LAP section of the forums every so often and it still hasn't started up yet. It's been a few issues since it was announced. I hope it starts soon because that's one of my favorite games on the SNES.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

JD!

Post by JD! » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:25 am

ChipTune wrote:
dubchaser wrote:

Behave.. how on earth is the awful blue hedgehog better than Mario.. now I dont love mario, but he is inoffensive and his games are good fun,. However Sonic is a sh*t character.. he reeks of ad ment coming up with someting 'cool & rad' for the kids.. he is on the same level as Chester Cheeto, Cool Spot, or Fido Dido.. and his games are utter crap.. running through levels where everything zips by, occation stopping when you hit a wall or spikes.. pointless extra characters like Tails and Knuckles.. The games just plain suck and they are boring as hell.. With Mario you can feel like you are actually exploring whereas sonic you just hold right on the controller and wait till you reach the end of another monotonous level..

I have bought every issue of retro game and will of course buy one with sonic as a main feature, but it will be hard to resist tearing out the pages so I dont have to look at his smug stupid, crazy-frog ad, face

F*Ck Sonic and all his sh*t games
You tell us to behave and then carry on like a 12 year old having a tantrum? Yeah, that makes sense...