ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Thulsadoom

Re: ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by Thulsadoom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:28 am

Great mag, as usual... Though I must admit, I only just chose to buy this issue... I guess it's the curse of the actual topic. Retro gaming is incredibly diverse, providing lots to write about. Unfortunately most of the readership will have only grown up with a probably a specific 2 or 3, maybe 4 systems.

Unfortunately Mario just never got me excited. I've played it on a few friend's systems (gameboy, SNES), and Mario almost always bored the hell out of me (And I love platformers!). But I completely understand the glut of coverage. After all, he is undeniably a gaming icon and many many people are fans (I just happen to be one of those few who's not lol!).

I did think it was a shame that the great idea of the 'advent calendar' style cover was wasted with the Mario issue, though. This could've been a wonderful gimmick, with 'windows' opening to top games from all different systems. Would've had everybody opening them in wide-eyed curiosity to see which games from their favourite systems were there... Instead, if you're not a Mario fan, and just a retro gaming fan, it's rendered pointless. I ended up opening two, realised they were all going to be Mario, and they'll stay unopened now. ;)
My Blog -

JD!

Post by JD! » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:59 am

Thulsadoom wrote:
Unfortunately Mario just never got me excited. I've played it on a few friend's systems (gameboy, SNES), and Mario almost always bored the hell out of me (And I love platformers!). But I completely understand the glut of coverage. After all, he is undeniably a gaming icon and many many people are fans (I just happen to be one of those few who's not lol!).
yeah, I gotta admit, I'm thinking of skipping this issue. I'm not a Mario fan at all and at $15AU an issue I don't want to spend that much money on a mag possibly full of content I don't really care about. But the collector in me doesn't want to have a hole in my run of mags. Ah, what to do.....

Just how much of the issue is dedicated to Mario? I had a look on the RG site and there seems to be a decent amount of other topics covered but if they add up to only a dozen pages and the majority of the mag is Mario-related I think I will skip it.

Thulsadoom

Post by Thulsadoom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 am

If you've been collecting them regularly, I wouldn't miss out. There's a fair number of other articles, it's not just wall-to-wall Mario (Though there is a lot). I'd have a look on the website's front page at the list of main articles, and see what might interest you.The main article I found really interesting this month was the 'Find out why 2D sprites in gaming are making a huge comeback.' and a few of the regulars discussing what came out at this time in previous decades.
My Blog -

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 am

JD! wrote:
Thulsadoom wrote:
yeah, I gotta admit, I'm thinking of skipping this issue. I'm not a Mario fan at all and at $15AU an issue I don't want to spend that much money on a mag possibly full of content I don't really care about. But the collector in me doesn't want to have a hole in my run of mags. Ah, what to do.....

Just how much of the issue is dedicated to Mario? I had a look on the RG site and there seems to be a decent amount of other topics covered but if they add up to only a dozen pages and the majority of the mag is Mario-related I think I will skip it.
16 pages over two articles - the big History of Super Mario Brothers (looking at the main platform games) which includes comments from many industry luminaries about what they think of Mario and his games, and the 6-page Definitive Guide to Super Mario Brothers 3 (which is a very good feature in its own right, with the informative two-page map of the levels)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:59 am

JD! wrote:
Thulsadoom wrote:

I'm no mario fan either but found the feature on the games quite interesting. Even if you're not a fan, surely you can appreciate the history, and Stuart's article had plenty of info in it.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 am

Cover was a great idea but the little windows popped open themselves when I was reading the mag, thus removing the should I/shouldn't I problem for me. Huzzah, I think.

Some of the content was great! Like the 2D feature, some great comments and views into the future of gaming and the concept of 2D. Really bodes well for the future if what they say is true. Also liked the Gorf feature and the Parker Brothers feature (although I didn't really know a lot about their output until reading it which made me "learn stuff")

However, half of the magazine I skipped. I have read enough Nintendo articles in my time to kill a normal man. Not a Nintendo fan (and I mean Mario really, there is some Nintendo stuff I like) but it was inevitable he should feature in a big way. I am very much in the minority when it comes to that so I can take a hit once in a while I suppose!

That's what is great about the mag though, everyone is catered for. Yeah, the occasional issue has less in it for me than others but I can live with that.
I think therefore I'm right!

Thulsadoom

Post by Thulsadoom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:15 am

Sherringford Hovis wrote:However, half of the magazine I skipped. I have read enough Nintendo articles in my time to kill a normal man. Not a Nintendo fan (and I mean Mario really, there is some Nintendo stuff I like) but it was inevitable he should feature in a big way. I am very much in the minority when it comes to that so I can take a hit once in a while I suppose!
Says it perfectly, really! :)
My Blog -

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:42 am

[quote="JD!"yeah, I gotta admit, I'm thinking of skipping this issue. I'm not a Mario fan at all and at $15AU an issue I don't want to spend that much money on a mag possibly full of content I don't really care about. But the collector in me doesn't want to have a hole in my run of mags. Ah, what to do.....

Just how much of the issue is dedicated to Mario? I had a look on the RG site and there seems to be a decent amount of other topics covered but if they add up to only a dozen pages and the majority of the mag is Mario-related I think I will skip it.[/quote]

There's almost 100 pages of non-Mario content in the issue. Skipping an issue because you don't like one topic when there are a dozen other topic in the magazine seems pretty silly, but that's just me.

Watch Darran's issue 82 preview here to see what else was covered this month.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

gman72

Loving the Mario cover.

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:38 pm

I really did... but not as much as my daughter who is seven and becoming quite the gamer. She shrieked with delight upon seeing the cover and spent 10 minutes pulling open the little windows and naming the mario games. That was worth the price of the mag alone, however, I will probably have to buy another one now so I have got a pristine cover. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm

I know it's already been mentioned but I have to comment on that silly letter this month. How exactly can you slam an article when you haven't even read it? And also, saying that a piece on a GC game is a piece on 'uninspiring' games? That's right, I guess ALL modern games are uninspiring. That's a stone cold fact coming at you from the letters page this month and not an opinion - don't forget it :roll:

Other than that, I like this month's issue. The cover is a bit annoying (can't open it properly in case the doors all open and start falling off) but the content is ace. The Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns review might have even got me to get around to buying it had I not already spent too much recently :(

Can I just ask when the promised Strike series feature is coming? It was supposed to be a few issues back...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

jest

Post by jest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:34 pm

I just received my issue (US subscriber) and was reading through the 'Mario Memories' when I came upon Alex Trowers' anecdote about playing Super Mario World in Japanese (pg. 32) and it seems to have cut off early, with the last sentence reading:

I remember thinking it was a bit tricky at the time but I put it down to just being the

And that's where it ends. I looked around, but it doesn't seem to pick up anywhere else. Can anyone help fill in the blank(s)?

romanista

Post by romanista » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 am

lovely issue, the cover alone got me an hour of fun with my kids.. and a themed issue always works well for me..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:32 am

Have any international subs received their mag yet? Still waiting :(

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 am

Still no issue in my local WHSmiths so I had to put in a 'special order' for it. :?

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:17 am

As you'd expect with something on Mario, a lot of the things in the article are reasonably common knowledge but it was a well written article and througly enjoyable. Classic game was as you'd expect so no surprised there so even as someone without a lot of patience for Mariothey didn't put me off. If you're unsure of a heavy Mario issue don't worry, it's not that bad.

I'd like to complain about the letters page, I can't believe you actually printed Matt L's letter. Surely someone who actually read the offending GBA based article had a complaint? Guess Future Classic went down well overall in the end :)