ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Mayhem

Re: ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Personally to me, if it's a good game, it's a good game. It doesn't matter how old it is, or the format it is on. I get fun and enjoyment from playing Robotron 2084 on an arcade machine to the latest blockbuster on the 360. But I feel I'm in a minority when it comes to that outlook.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Mayhem wrote:Personally to me, if it's a good game, it's a good game. It doesn't matter how old it is, or the format it is on. I get fun and enjoyment from playing Robotron 2084 on an arcade machine to the latest blockbuster on the 360. But I feel I'm in a minority when it comes to that outlook.
At the risk of sending this thread hurlting off topic you may well actually be in a majority as far the "a good game is a good game" outlook goes. The arguments tend to start when discussions are had on the topic of what games should feature in the mag, i.e. what mix of retro gen, last gen and current gen. With such a diverse readership I suppose it's only to be expected, and of course it does keep the forum an interesting place to visit. :wink:

Back on topic, only read the brilliantly written Mario lovefest pages so far so I'll post some proper feedback when I've read the rest of the mag.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Another 'wow!' cover! Part of the beauty of subscribing is that the cover is always a surprise... this issue's is up there with the sparkly NiGHTS christmas cover from a couple of years back :)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Without trawling through the last half dozen pages, shall I guess that the cover has had a mention or two?

So far I hadn't opened any of the windows so far but I just had to have a tiny peek at one that was slightly opened ... begging to be opened further ... Ooops! There we go.

Brilliant!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

shifter

Post by shifter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Wow almost 8 pages of how good or bad the cover is.... i prefer content to be honest but the cover is a nice gimmik.

Love the sid meier feature nothing really new said, but was still a nice read.

The making of Gorf is superb probally one of my fave sections of the mag.

Future classic is another section im very much into...

all in all a good issue

But i do think for the christmass issue,,,, you should do nothing just the name and a black background but when you open the mag snow fall from the bindings and a reindeer knocks on the readers front door and asks for a carrot in swedish :)

marksmith34

Post by marksmith34 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:44 am

I was really dissappointed with the current and last issue. I always rush to open it to see what 8 bit wonder has been disected in the magazine. Last month we had the crappy pokemon thing. This month - nothing. What's happening to the hardware reviews, there are LOADS of hardware that hasn't been given a going over.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:22 am

marksmith34 wrote:I was really dissappointed with the current and last issue. I always rush to open it to see what 8 bit wonder has been disected in the magazine. Last month we had the crappy pokemon thing. This month - nothing. What's happening to the hardware reviews, there are LOADS of hardware that hasn't been given a going over.
I've already stated that the hardware features are changing. Due to the amount of machines we've now covered most of the ones left are either very expensive to secure (we need machines for screenshots) or there isn't enough information on them meaning no one wants to tackle them.

We're introducing a new two-page article in the next issue that will look at slightly more obscure systems (first one up is the C64GS) we'll also be continuing with the retroinspections and will also be starting a new article to look at machines we've already covered from a fresh new angle. These features will either run independently or concurrently with each other.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: ...most of the ones left are either very expensive to secure (we need machines for screenshots) or there isn't enough information on them meaning no one wants to tackle them.

We're introducing a new two-page article in the next issue that will look at slightly more obscure systems (first one up is the C64GS)
What about the PET? I used to play loads of games on those at school. Or does it come under the "very expensive to secure" category more than the "obscure systems" category?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 am

ChipTune wrote: I like the homebrew section, but the new games on zx spectrums and what-not dont interest me at all, it would be better if they just made a game with speccy / c64 graphics on pc so more people would have access to it.
For me, I'd love to see someone out there who can take the "new game in an old style" segment (which I've just forgottens name) further and actually do the Speccy/C64 ports. Sadly I should think even if it was freeware it would not be allowed for legal reasons. As it is I always check the section, it's nice to see what's going on on the old systems. Always a chance to find out what's going on with the old systems and the odd potential gems.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:52 am

I suspect the PET comes under the "no-one wants to write about it" category. We had one of those at school, too, although the games we had were all rather naff BASIC creations.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 am

necronom wrote:What about the PET? I used to play loads of games on those at school. Or does it come under the "very expensive to secure" category more than the "obscure systems" category?
i'd assume that actually borrowing a PET might be an issue (shipping costs for the machine with monitor shudder) but i know a few people who have (at least) one and might be persuaded to get the machines posing for photos. i rather like the PET series myself, although getting the little... erm, darlings to synchronise to the vertical blank was a right pain in the arse when i tried because different models needed different techniques. i'd have to play more games to write about the thing properly, though.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am

lanky316 wrote: For me, I'd love to see someone out there who can take the "new game in an old style" segment (which I've just forgottens name) further and actually do the Speccy/C64 ports. Sadly I should think even if it was freeware it would not be allowed for legal reasons.
Well, the What If? screenshots aren't always technically possible on real hardware (something that bugs me just a teeny bit personally =-) but i suspect that the main issue would be actually finding someone barking enough to put the time into getting the code written for a project they may not necessarly be excited about. The Kane and Lynch as LA SWAT in issue 81 might be amusing to try, but the graphics wouldn't work straight into a character-based game engine...

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 am

TMR wrote:i know a few people who have (at least) one and might be persuaded to get the machines posing for photos. i rather like the PET series myself, although getting the little... erm, darlings to synchronise to the vertical blank was a right pain in the arse when i tried because different models needed different techniques. i'd have to play more games to write about the thing properly, though.
I'd love to read about the Commodore PET, also didn't martyg offer to do a piece on the TI-99 4/A recently? If a photo shoot could be arranged for these two systems I'm sure they'd both make for great articles! :D

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:39 am

TMR wrote:
lanky316 wrote: For me, I'd love to see someone out there who can take the "new game in an old style" segment (which I've just forgottens name) further and actually do the Speccy/C64 ports. Sadly I should think even if it was freeware it would not be allowed for legal reasons.
Well, the What If? screenshots aren't always technically possible on real hardware (something that bugs me just a teeny bit personally =-)
Ditto, it's a bugbear of mine to see false Spectrum screenshots that don't obey the two-colours-per-eight-pixels limitation. To be honest, "What If" is probably the only section of the magazine I don't usually read. But I'll defend to the death their right to make it!
It's called a MEGADRIVE

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 pm

I like the cover, but I'm in 2 minds whether to open the boxes or just leave them shut.. But by reading through it last night 1 or 2 of them have come open on their own.. I may just go for it and open them.. ahhhhh !!

Good issue, but can I ask why r3play isn't listed in the retro diary? That Blizzcon thing is mentioned but not a very relevant up and coming event here in the UK... I know it is advertised elsewhere but it should be in the diary..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip