ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sputryk

Re: ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by Sputryk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 am

Was too tired yesterday for more than a quick skip through the mag, but it is looking good. Although I have a penchant for 8- and 16-bit games, I do like reading about (most) other systems/games and rarely ignore any topics.

Fantastic cover! :D SirC: you beat me to the request. I will not be opening my doors either but would sure like to know/see what's behind them!

I needn't say 'keep up the good work', as I know you all will.

I have no truck with topics that don't appeal as our market is so wide-reaching - there will always be something that disappoints someone each issue and the team should not be disheartened by that. Granted, the amount of Mario this month will horrify the haters, but so will a similar overview of Sonic when it's his time (personally, I prefer Spiky Harold...), and it isn't as if something like this will be commonplace. I started with Issue 19 and have enjoyed them all ever since.

Great stuff, team! Thank you. :D

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 am

BEST COVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favourite game of all time finally gets the cover spot.. The Mario feature is awesome and the rest of the mag (what Ive read so far) is great too..

A really good issue guys, good work..

Could have been more on Mario really wink wink.. i.e. the awesome sports titles hes been in and whatnot, but it could have been overkill for all those weirdos who dont like Mario games..

P.S. 46% of people HONESTLY thought Sonic is better than Mario.. wow.. I didnt realise mental illness was so rife in our hobby! ;-)

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:They don't open up mate. They're just drawn on. Anyone can do that.
Yeah, I know but they are very similar.
I mean for never seeing anything like it. What are the odds?

Basically, I'm saying you copied it. OK! There I've said it! :lol:
Last edited by stvd on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 am

stvd wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:They don't open up mate. They're just drawn on. Anyone can do that.
I know that but how do you know that?
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:and I've certainly never seen anything like it in the past.
Really? :wink:[/quote]
You've lost me. This is the only proper advent calendar I've ever seen. Edge's is a nice idea and no doubt it's subconsciously where I got the idea for this one, but it's certainly not the real deal.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:This is the only proper advent calendar I've ever seen.
AHA! Now you're saying it is an advent calendar!
And I've seen thousands of proper ones.

Yes. I am being pedantic. I'm getting old. I'm turning into a grumpy old man. :(

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:07 am

Ah right. I see.

BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:07 am

Love the cover on this issue. . . did not love putting on the coffee table to make a brew and coming back to find my wife opening the doors :cry:

She then had the cheek to point at me after opening the Mario 64 door and saying "You haven't completed this yet, I have :p"

Very rude.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Ah right. I see.

BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Splink!

rolan

Post by rolan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:10 pm

I don't get why you feel the need to put that "30 years and over" thing in the bottom corner.... Its like you're trying to alienate younger readers sometimes... Mario article is great, like most of the magazine... still don't see why homebrew heroes gets 4 pages but thats just me I guess... I'm sure some people love reading about games people make in their basement in the same way some people love watching park football instead of the premier league... :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 pm

rolan wrote:I'm sure some people love reading about games people make in their basement
Yes, because to some of us (a lot of us even) that's an important part of out gaming history!

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:20 pm

rolan wrote:I don't get why you feel the need to put that "30 years and over" thing in the bottom corner.... Its like you're trying to alienate younger readers sometimes... Mario article is great, like most of the magazine... still don't see why homebrew heroes gets 4 pages but thats just me I guess... I'm sure some people love reading about games people make in their basement in the same way some people love watching park football instead of the premier league... :)
That's an interesting analogy actually, because a lot of people will probably feel that park football is where you see the heart and passion..

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 pm

You certainly don't see it in England matches Gabe :D

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

rolan wrote:I don't get why you feel the need to put that "30 years and over" thing in the bottom corner.... Its like you're trying to alienate younger readers sometimes... Mario article is great, like most of the magazine... still don't see why homebrew heroes gets 4 pages but thats just me I guess... I'm sure some people love reading about games people make in their basement in the same way some people love watching park football instead of the premier league... :)
It's not about alienating readers, it's just a nod to the age rating on boxes... and the vast majority of us are over 30. And haven't grown up yet because we are still playing SMB3, buying it on multiple formats/Virtual Console and hugging our Mario collectibles...

And there are some fantastic homebrew games out there, so by not reading/learning about them you could be denying yourself a great game. For example, today has seen the demo of VVVVVV released on the C64 and it's brilliant...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:27 pm

felgekarp wrote:(picture)
Ok, so I haven't got mine yet, but from what I see here...

horrible idea.

Seriously. I do _not_ do harm to my own magazines. What is then the point in concealing content?