ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Re: ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by ncf1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:47 pm

ok that cover will be hard to top but really there is only one way forwards now to beat it, and that is of course scratch and sniff; but when you open the flaps there aren't games behind them but WOMEN, and then when you.. ok seem to have gone off track a little here.. ahem, but really I do love the innovation, I havent read the mag yet but cant wait. :D

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:As for the Nintendo coverage? We're just responding to what people ask for. There's already more Amiga coverage going into the mag very soon (in addition to a few other features that have been requested and then people can complain about that.
I'm guessing you are referring to people emailing/sending letters and asking for stuff, rather than via this forum? Because I haven't seen such a disproportianate amount of reqeusts for Nintendo stuff on here, and certainy not for the games covered of late.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:58 pm

I can completely see why this is a Mario issue and I think it is well justified (even though I can't stand him). I also hope other characters get a similar treatment when they reach such a ripe old age.

But I do agree it 'feels' like there has been a lot of 'tendo lately, so am hoping the focus moves elsewhere in the next few mags.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Gabe wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:As for the Nintendo coverage? We're just responding to what people ask for. There's already more Amiga coverage going into the mag very soon (in addition to a few other features that have been requested and then people can complain about that.
I'm guessing you are referring to people emailing/sending letters and asking for stuff, rather than via this forum? Because I haven't seen such a disproportianate amount of reqeusts for Nintendo stuff on here, and certainy not for the games covered of late.
You're obviously not looking in the right places then... Still at least you helped me win my bet :D
Rest assured the focus will shift over the next few issues. We certainly don't plan to do specific company related stuff, it's just the way the submissions come through sometimes.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Haven't read the mag yet, but just had to say I loooove the cover! Best one yet :D

Looking forward to reading the Mario feature.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 pm

SirClive wrote:I can completely see why this is a Mario issue and I think it is well justified (even though I can't stand him). I also hope other characters get a similar treatment when they reach such a ripe old age.

But I do agree it 'feels' like there has been a lot of 'tendo lately, so am hoping the focus moves elsewhere in the next few mags.
Well I deliberately ignored the 'main' Mario coverage, and have no issue with that - it was more the additional Nintendo-based coverage, which I only really looked at when I saw the 'Next month' page.

And Darran, what was the bet? And where are all the requests for Wizards & Warriors/Poekmon Mini/Rendering Ranger? And possibly with the exception of Pilotwings 64 I can't say I've seen any more requests for those than other games.

But meh...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 pm

But meh...
Exactly. You can moan about something else next month ;)
If there's anything you want to see though just let us know.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:01 pm

I received issue 82 today and was thrilled at the cover. It's superb, just superb! The rest of the mag, after a token flick this evening, looks very special too. Excellent work!

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
But meh...
Exactly. You can moan about something else next month ;)
If there's anything you want to see though just let us know.
Ah, but I was just asking a question, rather than moaning :wink:

Anyway, I made some suggestions to the 'Improving the magazine' thread, are any of those ideas runners?

And you'd miss me if I wasn't here, you know it...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Honestly Gabe, I have no problem with yuor queries. It shows you care about the mag. And yes, I have been following your suggestions...

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
sscott wrote:Mine has also arrived, a brave decision on the cover which at least sorta works. Something for me to read while I'm off ill, also plenty of articles to read other than Mario if he's not your thing. Reading the Sid Meier interview at the moment.
Out of interest in what way does it not work?
In that turning the squares out would sort of ruin the look of the front cover. It's still a nice idea and my copies are dog eared and 'well thumbed' by the time I'm finished with them anyway.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:51 pm

good issue, despite my comment in the mario Ask the forum bit :D I did enjoy reading the feature, gaming history after all....

needs more spectrum though... :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Can someone who is going to open all the squares please post a picture with them open. That way I can leave mine closed :)

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 pm

SirClive wrote:Can someone who is going to open all the squares please post a picture with them open. That way I can leave mine closed :)
I'll leave mine closed and open them up on a newsstand copy. :lol:
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Could not resist popping open the little doors and reading what lies beneath.....what a fantastic and inventive cover, please do one for Christmas!

The rest of the mag looks jam packed full of good articles and features also! :D