ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: ISSUE 82 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by necronom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 am

I haven't seen it yet, but I would imagine that they won't fully shut once opened. If so, they will catch things and have a high chance or tearing off, or at least ripping. That's the only problem I see with it, and I might leave my doors unopened because of that.

I like something different, so the idea is a good one, though at Christmas would have suited me better.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:09 am

Mines arrived, but will be left till i`m off these night shifts..only 2 more to go.would love to buy a 2nd copy, but nowhere round here sells the mag. hence my sub.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Still, I'm really pleased with how it's turned out ... and I've certainly never seen anything like it in the past.
Really! ;)

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:13 am

Coincidentally the newest issue of Nintendo Power magazine has a similar looking cover.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:20 am

stvd wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Still, I'm really pleased with how it's turned out ... and I've certainly never seen anything like it in the past.
Really! ;)
They don't open up mate. They're just drawn on. Anyone can do that.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am

Got it this morning. Awesome. Just awesome 8)

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 am

I'm going to comment for the first time in a while. The cover is nice it is just a shame that you can't fold the doors all the way without ruining it.
I'll say more later.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:25 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:I'm going to comment for the first time in a while. The cover is nice it is just a shame that you can't fold the doors all the way without ruining it.
I'll say more later.
I know what you mean, the scoring seems a little weird...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:41 am

Mario, Mario, Mario... well I enjoyed the article at least. Not had much time to read anything else bar it, the intro and the letters so far. Interesting to see I wasn't the only Brit at CGE this year then. Btw, did Jamie Fenton really write the C64 conversions of Beamrider and Pitstop? I've never found any evidence for the programmer; the former is created to Action Graphics in the manual, and the latter has nothing. Nada in the code from what I recall looking through either. If it IS true, then that's two more to cross off the unknown list... if I'd had known, I would have asked her myself when I met her a few years back...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Just got back from work and mine is here along with Terminal man signed by Oli Frey 8) going have lots to read after.. I'm looking forward to reading that Gorf article..

The cover is really nice opened up one of the windows to see whats behind
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

dpg50000

Post by dpg50000 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Just got my subscriber copy in the post, and one of the doors is completely ripped off. I haven't even took the mag out of the 2nd plastic bag yet, but the door doesn't appear to be lose inside anywhere.

How do I go about getting a replacement? Do I just contact the subscriptions department?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 pm

dpg50000 wrote:Just got my subscriber copy in the post, and one of the doors is completely ripped off. I haven't even took the mag out of the 2nd plastic bag yet, but the door doesn't appear to be lose inside anywhere.

How do I go about getting a replacement? Do I just contact the subscriptions department?
Yeah that's probably your best bet.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Really nice touch on the cover, whether people hate Mario or love him it's a really novel idea - especially to do it at a time other than Christmas.

Still, what's with all the Nintendo coverage of late? Last month we had the Pokemon mini, Rendering Ranger, Wizards & Warriors and Metroid articles, this month we have Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64 and Eternal Darkness in addition to all the main Mario features and next month we can look forward to more Donkey Kong, Harvest Moon and Drill Dozer coverage. It's a bit much, no? I can't ever recall seeing such dedicated coverage to a family of systems in such a short space of time.

And finally, my girlfriend isn't going to be happy that you didn't print the names of who asked Sid Meier questions (considering 2 of mine were asked) - she likes that kind of stuff! That's cost you an extra sale (she can't have my copy, obviously).

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Looks like a good issue (not least because it as my retrobate review of Dambusters in it - thank you for that).

Looking forward to reading about Mario - even though I'm a staunch 8 bitter in the main. Also Gorf article will be my first read, as I used to love that game in the arcades. On top of that a Leather Goddesses of Phobos article. Joy of joys. I so wanted that game as a young boy - mainly because I thought it had rude bits in it. I've played it through now via emulation and its pretty tame, but the thought of it still takes me back to being 13 again.

Not so bothered about Pilotwings 64, but I've never really got on with those games - will read it though.
Looks great anyway, so thank you, may comment more when I've actually done more than flick through it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Well it's not technically an advent calendar for starters, it has 25 boxes and covers years not days. There's no denying that's where the inspiration comes from. And let's fact it, you can buy advent calendars now. Doesn't mean you have to open it straight away...

As for the Nintendo coverage? We're just responding to what people ask for. There's already more Amiga coverage going into the mag very soon (in addition to a few other features that have been requested and then people can complain about that.