Complaint

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jet Pilot

Re: Complaint

Post by Jet Pilot » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I know this is no excuse, but I guess the further the package has to travel the more risk there is of it getting damaged.
I live in the US and my sub copies always arrive virtually pristine. The thick poly-bag really does a good job at protecting the contents, even through an overseas journey! Maybe a slightly bent corner here or there, but no more damage than it would get from me normally reading it.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I know this is no excuse, but I guess the further the package has to travel the more risk there is of it getting damaged.
There is that, but it's poor that the packaging for a long-haul is so 'roomy' and inexcusable that he was charged twice for postage and told "each item is packaged separately" and then received all the items in one parcel. In fact, that's from a commerce standpoint putting whoever made that claim and sent the package on very shaky ground.

If hydr0x had been British, I'd have suggested returning them under UK distance-selling regulations (whereupon the sender would be liable for a full refund), but with him being in Germany, I've no idea if those laws apply or whether there's something similar on EU-oriented transactions.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

JD!

Post by JD! » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:39 am

Not to be rude but I don't really buy that. I regularly buy comic back issues from the US and UK and they have only ever arrived with very minor defects. Comics are a lot more fragile and a square-bound magazine. :(

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:42 pm

A think a lot of it comes down to the postman or sorting office. I've subscribed to RG since day 1 and i've never had a really bad damaged copy or that. But i know friends who get some stuff in the post which might be bent (when it has on the envelope 'do not bend') or broken etc.

All the bookazines i've ordered (8 or so) have been fine. Think a lot of blame has to go to the sorting office or local postie

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 pm

psj3809 wrote:A think a lot of it comes down to the postman or sorting office. I've subscribed to RG since day 1 and i've never had a really bad damaged copy or that. But i know friends who get some stuff in the post which might be bent (when it has on the envelope 'do not bend') or broken etc.

All the bookazines i've ordered (8 or so) have been fine. Think a lot of blame has to go to the sorting office or local postie
I've been a subscriber for over 40 issues and have ordered all bookazines so far. I only ever had one or two badly damaged issues before this. Also, the postie personally handed me this package, so it's not a case of stuffing it into the mail slot badly. Nah, this really is to blame on the type of envelope used and the missing handle with care note.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 pm

JD! wrote:
Not to be rude but I don't really buy that. I regularly buy comic back issues from the US and UK and they have only ever arrived with very minor defects. Comics are a lot more fragile and a square-bound magazine. :(
Like I said it''s no excuse. It's also nothing to do with me. I'm responsible for making a quality magazine, not ensuring that it reaches the destination of every reader. I'll speak to the relevant department tomorrow, but I certainly can't do any more than that I'm afraid.

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:08 pm

If I may make a suggestion for this; perhaps your distributor could consider an alternative form of packaging at an extra cost? Personally, I'm happy with the plastic wrap that comes on my RG and I've never had a problem since issue 2 (and I've lived in 2 different cities too so that's with 2 sorting offices) but I'm sure there are some people who have been less fortunate than myself with deliveries. Rather than making everyone pay for a more expensive distribution it might be plausible to give an option. So if you want things as they are the cost is the same but if you want board backed envelopes or something then you pay an extra few quid a year. Everyone wins then.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm

As I said it's nothing to do with me, but I'll put this to the attention of the relevant people tomorrow.

JD!

Post by JD! » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:As I said it's nothing to do with me, but I'll put this to the attention of the relevant people tomorrow.
I know it's nothing to do with your end, Darran, just stating the fact that I've had many less-sturdy publication mailed to me (I'm in Australia, by the way) and they have never had more than a slight dog-ear. No, you're fine mate, the magazine content is brilliant which is why I'll continue to pay the $14AU per month per issue. I'm happy to pay that for such a quality mag! However, the magazine is in next to perfect condition when I get it from the newsagent and I don't want ot risk getting a banged up copy so I'll stay away from subscriptions ATM.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:52 am

Just thought I should relate my ultimately positive experience of receiving a bent in half copy of RG one month recently - the Axelay one, can't remember what number that was.

Anyhow, having always had the mag get to me in perfect condition over the years I've been a sub this recent issue was (as previously mentioned) knackered. When I phoned the number on the protective bag that it came in I got straight through to a really polite, well trained lass who did something clever with my direct debit that essentially meant that I didn't pay for that months magazine. She then offered to send out a replacement copy but as I was going to be out and about that morning anyway I just got one in Smiths and all was right with the world again. :D

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 am

The Royal Mail is a shambles. My post gets opened before it even gets to my post box. Last month I complained to RM because I'd gotten a letter from my bank - but it had been opened and resealed and (wait for it) my 02 bill was in the same Abbey envelope!

And the complaint? They never got back to me.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:24 am

greenberet79 wrote:The Royal Mail is a shambles. My post gets opened before it even gets to my post box. Last month I complained to RM because I'd gotten a letter from my bank - but it had been opened and resealed and (wait for it) my 02 bill was in the same Abbey envelope!

And the complaint? They never got back to me.
Doesnt sound good but i must admit i've been lucky so far and the royal mail have been fine (Apart from one nicked chequebook but they got him in the end). Havent had a problem with the post for quite some time.

You would never have thought that though, a postie opening stuff up in Liverpool ! ;)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 am

psj3809 wrote:You would never have thought that though, a postie opening stuff up in Liverpool ! ;)
The sorting office has moved to Warrington actually, smartarse!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

:lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 am

Might not be the sorting office. The only time i had a problem with Royal Mail was a dodgy postie in Nuneaton who used to open up the post , took a chequebook of mine and started writing cheques. He got caught thankfully, the police/royal mail did a good job getting that git.

Might be the sorting office, might be your postie. Worth contacting Royal Mail as they take these things very seriously