Complaint

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

hydr0x

Complaint

Post by hydr0x » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm sorry I have to make this public but I tried to contact the Imagine eshop staff twice with plenty of time to respond and got no answer whatsoever. I mailed them on September 29th and October 3rd, nothing.

Basically, the story goes as follows. I wanted to order the 100th issue of GamesTM with the cover of my choice (SimCity 2000) but this was only possible via email (had to give out my cc details incl. security number via mail, not good at all). I wanted to order the Retro Gamer Collection #4 at the same time to save on the shipping but was told the shipping costs just add up. Curious about this I asked why and got this reply:

"Postage is charged per item ordered, as each item is packaged separately to prevent any damage to your items."

Mh, okay, that made SOME sense, so I went along and ordered both magazines on September 14th. On September 29th they finally showed up (horrible shipping time if you ask me, I usually get things a lot faster without paying for any premium services). And the word they needs to be highlighted. Because, contrary to the reply I got, they were shipped in the same padded enveloped. Yep, you got that right as well, a padded envelope, not the usual "handle with care" clear bags that let the postman know he's got to be careful. Not only that, but the padded envelope was far too big for the mags too, giving them plenty of space to move around. Combine this with the way the post handles packages like that that are not declared as fragile or anything and you might already get the idea where this leads too. Not only did I pay twice as much for the shipping as it actually cost, but the mags were damaged horrible as well. Instead of explaining in detail how badly they're damaged, I'll let these pics speak for themselves.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I know the pics aren't perfect but believe me, they are damaged beyond repair; I can't even hold them properly to read them. The spine of the RG collection is completely shattered and it will fall apart in no time I'm sure.

Like I said, I then mailed Imagine on the 29th, describing the problem and asking for a full replacement or refund (I'd actually prefer a replacement at least for the RG collection as its for the collection). I got no reply. So I mailed again on October 3rd. Still no reply to that either. I see no other way other to put some pressure on the staff by posting this here.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Complaint

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 pm

who did you contact? There have been some big changes to the store and it's now under new management. This might be why there's been no response.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:who did you contact? There have been some big changes to the store and it's now under new management. This might be why there's been no response.
First, let me thank you for not taking this down right away, much appreciated. I mailed both addresses I had contact with before, which would be Imagine@servicehelpline.co.uk and reception@imagine-publishing.co.uk

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:16 pm

You think that's bad? Mine often get eaten by the dog, and I haven't got a dog...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:02 am

The Master wrote:You think that's bad? Mine often get eaten by the dog, and I haven't got a dog...
Yeah, look at the last pic, even if its not too sharp you might be able to see that the binding of the bookazine is ripped, which means the single pages are loose for the last few cm of the spine. Everytime you turn a page it gets worse, if I read through this once it'll fall apart.

JD!

Post by JD! » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:28 am

Just wondering if you ever got this resolved, hydr0x? I ask because I was considering a subscription but if that's the kind of service you get I don't know if I'll bother. :x

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 am

My subscription copies are always damaged in some way, usually a cracked spine or a creased corner somewhere.

JD!

Post by JD! » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Hm, I'll stick with the newsagent then. The worst I've ever had is a slightly dogeared corner.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:21 pm

As a contrast, I've been subscribing since issue 6 or 7 and I've also been subscribing to another mag for 15 years, and other computer mags before that, and I can't remember ever having a single issue damaged more than a slight bend in the spine. I would say less than 1% have ever had even a slight problem.

It must depend where you live, and which sorting offices your post goes through.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

I know this is no excuse, but I guess the further the package has to travel the more risk there is of it getting damaged.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:51 pm

My postie seems to take offence to RG. Everytime my issue comes, it's bent at one corner, and the spine is knackered. Bloody P.O. :x
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:20 pm

:cry: Another cry of anguish for sorting office down here.Exeter?Nightmare.Goods go missing, arrived damaged etc.Our local posties? Great, but as soon as goods hit Exeter...abandon all hope time.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I know this is no excuse, but I guess the further the package has to travel the more risk there is of it getting damaged.
Fully agree with that, has to travel through more pairs of hands I guess.

I'm not too fussed TBH, it's easier that leaving the house.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm

hydr0x wrote:"Postage is charged per item ordered, as each item is packaged separately to prevent any damage to your items."
...and it was sent in one package - just plain wrong that :x
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I know this is no excuse, but I guess the further the package has to travel the more risk there is of it getting damaged.
Nah, my subscription copies of RG are fine. After all they're in a clear bag that shows there's a mag inside and they also say handle with care or something like that. But if you send out mags like this, in a standard envelope that's a lot bigger than the mags with no handle with care marker you can't expect them to arrive safely.

Now, I've just checked the GamesTM issue again after having it pressed between heavy books for two weeks now, and the bending is acceptable now and the spine while being damaged will live. So, the GamesTM is borderline acceptable. The RG bookazine is not, it's only good for the garbage bin now :/