Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It will most likely be the issue after next
Can I also ask what happened to the Strike series article? I was really looking forward to that one and overlooked it's omission at first. Bizarrely, I only realised when I was in gamestation and saw a hideously over-priced pre-owned copy of Nuclear Strike on the PS1 for £14.99 :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm surprised that more wasnt done on Day of the Tentacle. Selfishly speaking I would have thought it warranted a front cover (not even a mention on the cover of this issue!) and a much bigger peice. Speaking for the rest of us, given that it is the highest scoring retrobate review i also would have thought it deserved more.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:I only realised when I was in gamestation and saw a hideously over-priced pre-owned copy of Nuclear Strike on the PS1 for £14.99 :roll:
:lol:

Seriously? :? The Gamestation you go to seems massively overpriced on everything preowned/retro from what you've been saying. I bought a near mint condition on the PS1 from Ebay a couple of weeks ago for the princely sum of £5, and that was with free P&P.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Loved the Mrs Pacman article, read it in the bath this eve.....hope you all get a good mental image of that

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:Loved the Mrs Pacman article
Yes, went through that yesterday and it was very interesting.
Sepp Salerno wrote:read it in the bath this eve.....hope you all get a good mental image of that
i'm deluding myself that you look like the lass in your signature. =-)

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 pm

TMR wrote:
Sepp Salerno wrote:Loved the Mrs Pacman article
Yes, went through that yesterday and it was very interesting.
Sepp Salerno wrote:read it in the bath this eve.....hope you all get a good mental image of that
i'm deluding myself that you look like the lass in your signature. =-)
Actually, there's an image that should make the next cover :P

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:Actually, there's an image that should make the next cover :P

:D
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:15 am

Jet Pilot wrote:
Sepp Salerno wrote:Actually, there's an image that should make the next cover :P

:D
That's just sexual :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:03 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I only realised when I was in gamestation and saw a hideously over-priced pre-owned copy of Nuclear Strike on the PS1 for £14.99 :roll:
:lol:

Seriously? :? The Gamestation you go to seems massively overpriced on everything preowned/retro from what you've been saying. I bought a near mint condition on the PS1 from Ebay a couple of weeks ago for the princely sum of £5, and that was with free P&P.
See, I'm stuck with ebay. All shops are crap and like this in my town aside from the cash converter places (if they have anything which is rare).

Was going to pick it up too since I know nothing of the series outside the MD trilogy.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Has anyone in the U.S. received their copy of issue 81 yet?

Spacegamer

Post by Spacegamer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Great cover guys, certainly the best cover since the Monkey Island one. hope we will see some more covers like this on future issues.
Enjoyed reading the Julian Gollop interview, don’t remember ever seeing Terror from the deep on the Amiga ?
Nice to see the big articles making a come back to the mag,
Also nice to see collectors corner back but it could still do with some better text description
Bargain hunt remains as useless as ever and why do auction watch/bargains feature nothing but console/ console games ?.
Not impressed by the ultimate features more like the ultimate space filler, still it better than countdowns you have done in the past.
Like Lee Piper drawings of iain lee and the excellent one of Paul Davies but his drawing of Julian Gollop looks a bit rushed.
Retroinspection also has the look of being thrown into the mag at the last minute.
Not too bothered about Future classic as long it stays in it two pages and does not start to creep out.
Also good to see some more coverage of PC games in the mag.
Ship computer calling bomb#20 you're out of the bomb bay again.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:

See, I'm stuck with ebay. All shops are crap and like this in my town aside from the cash converter places (if they have anything which is rare).

Was going to pick it up too since I know nothing of the series outside the MD trilogy.
Soviet Strike is`nt bad, Nuclear is the better of the 2.then you have Future cop:L.A.P.D which was once Future Strike (See orig.teaser trailer once you complete Nuclear Strike).

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:57 pm

@Spacegamer. Xcom:Terror from the deep was PC (Windows/Dos)+Playstation (Had some crippling bugs-Would lock up, game save files corrupt etc) Only.No Amiga version.

memories

Post by memories » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Great cover, one of the best yet, found myself scratching the £4.99 sticker at one point thinking it was real :oops:

Enjoyed the Wizard & Warrior article, one thing I have noticed though with the mag is that whenever you are looking at a Pickford brother game its always Ste that comments on it, does John not like to talk?

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Has anyone in the U.S. received their copy of issue 81 yet?
I just received it yesterday (Monday).
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")