Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 am

Got my copy this morning.

The Julian Gollop article is brilliant.

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:29 am

Brilliant cover, I love the £4.99 sticker price tag. Small touch, but evokes memories of games on cassette tapes from the local game shop, back in the day.

Looking forward now to reading the Julian Gollop and Micromega articles.
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Have to agree, the cover is a brilliant bit of design work.

And it was a great issue behind it - liking the new Future Classic feature, really enjoyed Mike's interview with Julian Gollop and the humour in Kim's Making of Day of the Tentacle. (Although I do take issue with the idea about putting Maniac Mansion into DOTT - the complete game of Maniac Mansion takes up more than 300K on two sides of disk, it's constantly loading extra data. So there's no way the "complete game" can fit into 64K as suggested)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Looking forward to this issue, particularly because Metroid Zero Mission is a game I actually own for once :lol: . Perhaps the article will tempt me to play it again... :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm

It looks like another great issue, and I got a "Special Thanks" :D Thanks, Darran.

The cover turned out excellent.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Blumf wrote:Brilliant cover, I love the £4.99 sticker price tag. Small touch, but evokes memories of games on cassette tapes from the local game shop, back in the day.

Looking forward now to reading the Julian Gollop and Micromega articles.
Got to agree totally, best cover for a while. Looks like a cracking issue as well.....is time speeding up, or does each issue seem to appear quicker and quicker :shock: ........its still once and month right? :P

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:22 pm

got my copy today. Same name different game feature this month, is one of the lamest pieces of journalism I've read in a long long time. What a waste of 2 pages. Why pick a game with so littles differences between the very few formats it was realeased on (sonic and sonic 2), was it even worth metioning the game gear versions, as they are nigh on identical to the master system versions. Just felt like you were padding out the feature as there was never enough content to cover in the first place. Very poor.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Got my copy today too. I haven't read any of it yet but wanted to add to the praise for the cover. It's a brilliant!!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Neilos626 wrote:got my copy today. Same name different game feature this month, is one of the lamest pieces of journalism I've read in a long long time. What a waste of 2 pages. Why pick a game with so littles differences between the very few formats it was realeased on (sonic and sonic 2), was it even worth metioning the game gear versions, as they are nigh on identical to the master system versions. Just felt like you were padding out the feature as there was never enough content to cover in the first place. Very poor.
Shame to hear you didn't like it. I hear Sonic the Hedgehog absolutely loved it though, going onto say that even he had forgotten the subtle little differences between games and how he looks completely different in both 8-bit iterations. I guess it just goes to prove that you're never going to please everyone all the time, but it sure is fun trying.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Got my copy this morning, and I keep trying to peel off the £4.99 sticker from the front :lol: :lol: Can we have more covers like this? I think (and I might be the minority), it gives it a bit more of a 'retro-y feel'.
I like the look of Future Classic, as I feel It gets the balance just right imho.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:27 am

Holy cow, that looks like a lot of great stuff for one issue. Day of the Tentacle :D

Any chance of issue 82 having a big screenshot cover of (NES) Super Mario Bros.? Talk about an attention grabbing iconic cover! I can almost guarantee that it would fly off the shelves here in the U.S.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:40 am

Got mine yesterday and have to say it's a mainly brilliant piece of work.
The cover is stunning, more like this please. Julian Gollop article I'm looking forward to reading immensely, also Ms. Pac Man and Day of the Tentacle (one of my all time favourite PC games). Back to the Eighties was great (but I'm looking forward to the time when it goes back to the earlier 80's).

As for the future classic section I liked it, quite a clever idea... well done Darran. Looking forward to reading this section next month.

My only concern is the Pokemon Mini article. Not because it is a bad article. It isn't, I read it last night and it is skilfully written. But rather (in my pedantic way) I wish to question whether a console released in 2001 is considered 'Retro'? Surely if the Gamecube/Xbox are not, then neither is this. The PS2 is a whole year older than this machine, but I can't imagine a retroinspection for that? Metroid Zero Mission is only just over 3 years younger and that is a 'Future Classic'? Having said all that I enjoyed the article - and found it educational about a console I knew nothing about. Just not sure where it fits into your magazines ethos.

Anyway, generally loving the magazine, so thanks again to all concerned.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:29 am

Love the cover, I was stupid enough to try and peel of the £4.99 sticker :) Force of habbit. Not sure about the future classics section, be interesting to look back in ten years and see how wrong the selections are.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:36 am

SirClive wrote:No, I haven't got my copy yet, but I have just watched Darran's youtube walkthrough and it looks ace. Particularly loving the cassette style cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfDrdew8l8

Can wait for the DOTT making making of!
i think i might have to buy about ten copies this month, i'm very f-ing excited....thanks for the name check Darran!

future classics looks cool, and you know what - i love looking at a page full of beautiful sprites - so i'll wallow in the super shinobi article for a few hours!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:45 am

The Future Classic section is brilliant and cant wait to see what else will be featured.