Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm

No, I haven't got my copy yet, but I have just watched Darran's youtube walkthrough and it looks ace. Particularly loving the cassette style cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfDrdew8l8

Can wait for the DOTT making making of!

Jet Pilot

Re: Issue 81 - Official Feedback Thread

Post by Jet Pilot » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 pm

I really like the look of that new "Future Classic" 2-page feature. Seems like a nice compromise between the folks who want to see last generation content start being featured in the mag (it's a nice looking piece on a classic last-generation game) and those who are dead set against it (it's only 2 pages).

Hopefully this becomes a regular feature, after all, these consoles are nearly a decade old. Then again, I'm certain that someone will whine and carry on about this two-page feature "ruining the magazine" sometime over the course of this thread. :lol:

I also really like the look of the cassette tape cover as well. I really thought the magazine was in a plastic sleeve until Darran showed off the artwork. Very slick.

And here's to issue #82. Yay finally!!! Thanks Darran.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:57 am

Laser Squad on the front cover, that is all I need to see. :D

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:59 am

Damn it, for a split second I thought he said it was dedicated to me :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:51 am

:D Sweet mother of god! Laser Squad on Cover, Fantastic looking feature on the Gollop games? For moi? this could be:The best issue....EVER. Also, Loving way the likes of xbox,GBA,GC etc are being introduced into the magazine-Future Classic? Stroke of genius there. Also, (Darren) 'Myth-Much, Much better on C64 than Amstrad' Made me spit my tea out laughing hearing that quote.(Very true though).Got great feeling about this issue.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:16 am

Yeah, I am a fan of the Future Classics idea. Limiting it to 2 pages for the time being is a great way to introduce newer stuff without changing the whole direction of the mag.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:19 am

mmm Laser Squad...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am

SirClive wrote:Yeah, I am a fan of the Future Classics idea. Limiting it to 2 pages for the time being is a great way to introduce newer stuff without changing the whole direction of the mag.
Was always very curious as to how the likes of GC, PS2,Xbox etc were going to be introduced to the magazine.Knew it was in safe hands, but have to say, the Future classic, really is a masterstroke idea.And, as you rightly say, limiting it to 2-pages at the start, great way to get ball rolling.Kudos to the RG team.

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:42 am

Nothing really in there for me this time; but looking forward to the Mario-issue!

Future Classics sounds promissing! I really like the idea. (But didn't Darran once said that the day the PS2 would appear on the cover of the mag, he would run away? ;-))
Last edited by Igorthegreen on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:14 am

thevulture wrote:
SirClive wrote:Yeah, I am a fan of the Future Classics idea. Limiting it to 2 pages for the time being is a great way to introduce newer stuff without changing the whole direction of the mag.
Was always very curious as to how the likes of GC, PS2,Xbox etc were going to be introduced to the magazine.Knew it was in safe hands, but have to say, the Future classic, really is a masterstroke idea.And, as you rightly say, limiting it to 2-pages at the start, great way to get ball rolling.Kudos to the RG team.
What they both said, a great way to bring the slightly newer platforms in and i'll look forward to reading it. =-)

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Cassette tape cover looks awesome! Great job!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:05 pm

I never look at these vids cos I dont wanna spoil the suprise -but I just have and had to chuckle at some of the comments:

"Whilst the mag got better towards the end, its still far too full of 80's games. Its so badly balanced. Most people today want 90's stuff, not ancient, virtually unplayable 80's games" - spot on that :roll:

But the comment which made me feel bad (for about 3 seconds) "Nice video, if i had a job and money i would get it"
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:13 am

Bub&Bob wrote:had to chuckle at some of the comments:

"Whilst the mag got better towards the end, its still far too full of 80's games. Its so badly balanced. Most people today want 90's stuff, not ancient, virtually unplayable 80's games"
I saw that one yesterday, and I almost replied to it saying the opposite.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 am

Just arrived in the post - good stuff. Saw the youtube vid so know what to expect.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 am

Looks like a great issue! Can't wait to get it :)