Official Feedback for Issue 29

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official Feedback for Issue 29

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:33 am

Ghosts N Goblins
Capcom's Ghosts N Goblins is generally considered to be one of the toughest gaming franchsies ever made. Series creator, Tokuro Fujiwara expalins why

The Making of… Samurai Warrior
Discover how a samurai rabbit made the courageous leap from the pages of a cult comic book to his very own 8-bit computer game

The Big Interview
Spectrum Legends
Retro Gamer gathered together some of the Spectrum's most popular coders to ask them what made the classic computer tick.

The Definitive Defender
Stuart Campbell heads into deep space in order to tell you everything you ever needed to know about classic blastathon Defender

Retroinspection - Oric-1
Eager to dispel the myth that all Retro Gamer cares about is the C64, ZX Spectrum and CPC 464, Martyn Carroll brings you the definitive guide to the humble Oric

The making of… Lazy Jones
David Whittaker may be best known for his rocking C64 tunes, but he was also a dab hand at programming, as this fascinating look at Lazy Jones proves.

Why you must play
The Divide: Enemies Within
Yes it's a PlayStation title, but bear with us. With nods to both Super Metroid and Castlevania, The Divide is a title that's well worthy of your time

Developer Lookback - Codemasters
Now 20-years old, Codemasters' co-founder David Darling stopped by to discuss how the company has progressed over the last two decades

Desert Island Disks - Ed Logg
From the space antics of Asteroids to the tense four-player mayhem of Gauntlet - Ed Logg created it all. Retro Gamer chats to the arcade legend

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:55 am

Oh Wow!

Look at that cover! - thats a Zzap 64 one isn't it?

Is it that time of the month already!! :D

Suppose I'd better sleep on the doormat :shock:

(Actually, I've just had a nasty thought - did the subs dept get my new sub on time!!!??

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:57 am

My first sub issue since the free ones!

Which is good, because I'll need the extra money to buy new underwear after seeing that cover.

Mark - did you get a letter saying your first issue was issue 29? I did.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:00 am

Has it been a month since the last one? That went quickly. I shall be watching for the postman.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:11 am

markopoloman wrote:Look at that cover! - thats a Zzap 64 one isn't it?
Yup—Oli's "Cauldron II and Antiriad" cover from Zzap!64 #13—see it without cover lines on page 122 of his book, The Fantasy Art of Oliver Frey.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:13 am

Dudley wrote:My first sub issue since the free ones!

Which is good, because I'll need the extra money to buy new underwear after seeing that cover.

No letter yet :?

Right, just emailed RG subs - I hope they reply a little sooner than the last time I contacted them!

Hope Ish 29 arrives by post :?

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:07 am

I have a poster of that cover that Oli Frey signed at a Games Show in Earls Court, think it was in 1987. I really should get it framed.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:11 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:I have a poster of that cover that Oli Frey signed at a Games Show in Earls Court, think it was in 1987. I really should get it framed.
You really should
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ajgreen

Post by ajgreen » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:21 am

Nice cover. Love the red background too. I'd rather see a cover like this than last months, which was something that The Games Machine might have put on the cover.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:39 am

Chris Stamper?!... please tell me you quizzed him about Mire Mare? 8)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

RetroTrader.Com

Comment on the Retrogamer review of Spectrum Allstars V1

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:09 am

I was quite shocked and saddened when I read the review in the magazine when it popped through my door this morning , as having been a subscriber from issue one , having placed adverts in the original version of it before it transferred to its current owners , and also receiving frequent emails from the current sales team asking me to place adverts to advertise the new range of retro games in the current version. The reason I was shocked and saddened , was not so much the inaccurate review , but the fact the reviewer had totally missed the point of the compilation. After taking nearly two years to gain the licenses of the retro games , (unlike the pirate versions which have been selling for years making money for the pirates and giving nothing back to the authors) it has been a long journey to get a shop ready product. The menu driven system was created , not on the cheap , but after months of trial and error to make a system which loads the games as automatically as possible , which vary in the styles / type of ROM image from over 20 years ago. The brief being , to make something which children and adults who are not hardcore fans and gamers could use. This is what has been done. The fact that it has 50 games on it for £4.99 , comes on a printed CD (which most budget games do not ) in a nice case , as a coder , retailer , publisher might tell you for any minor problems in the package , you have not done bad for £4.99. A few months ago in issue 23 Bloodwych had a great look back feature on it , this game along with Classics such as Ant Attack are on this 50 game collection , but hardly any games are mentioned , just a lot of talk about a USB pad , which the system has never been set up to use. It also fails to mention the fact that all ‘new’ games like Jonathan Cauldwell’s , get there first real ‘retail’ outing , something not done for 20 odd years. To be honest , the reviewer and the magazine have lost credibility in my eyes , and that’s not just sour grapes at a poor review , but for the fact that on the opposite page the same reviewer , gave a really high score to a space invaders clone download (which I have no problems with , we have some coming as well !) but to compare a 50 game compilation , in a box , with artwork , working system , which contains many ex-number 1 selling games of their time , and costs the same as a download , seems a very bad reflection on the magazine. The whole point of the compilation was missed , and basically left me ironically agreeing with some of the reviewers comments . As he felt about Alten8 , I am now left with the unfortunate conclusion that Retro Gamer the magazine , is becoming to quote him “A lazy attempt to profit from nostalgiaâ€

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:24 am

It's sour grapes I'm afraid.

I'm sorry, the games are pretty good but the menu system is seriously the most hideous UI I've ever had the mispleasure of using. It's horrible to the point of being unusable.

Why DO some games start automatically and some don't?

Why does it ask for a completely pointless reboot on the completion of the install? What system files is it modifying to justify this?

Why, when you say you can use your own emulators with the images does this require me to install your emulator first as the games are hidden in the setup.exe file?

Why can't I resize the window? It's either "Postage stamp" or "Full screen".

Why are the games in an entirely random order in the menu with only 2 displayed at once?

Why are some titles (Harry the magical) too small to even READ in the menu?

Why are some games missing titles entirely in the menu, and the ones that do have an overlayed title to help you figure out which one it is, it's not in a consitent position or font?

Why when you get to the bottom of the menu does it not loop to the top, forcing me to click up 49 times just to select ant-attack again?

Why doesn't it even have standard windows close and minimise buttons?

It's just terrible design mate, tragically letting down a potentially great compilation. The basic minimum of UI testing was clearly simply not done.

I felt the review was absolutely fair and it DID mention it was good value.

Also, I've just checked every budget game I have, they're ALL printed CDs.

And please tell me you're not suggesting at the start of your post that they should give you a good review because you've paid money to advertise and read the mag. That's called "Amiga Action" and we don't do that here.

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:01 am

markopoloman wrote:
Dudley wrote:My first sub issue since the free ones!

No letter yet :?

Right, just emailed RG subs - I hope they reply a little sooner than the last time I contacted them!

Hope Ish 29 arrives by post :?

I take it my subs didn't get renwed for this issue then :cry:

AND as before, the subs dept. take forever to email back.... had nothing from them at all :evil:

If they emailed me to let me know when my subs start I could prepare myself for the shock of purchasing it at a shop :shock:

C'mon RG SUBS -email me :evil: :evil:

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:06 am

markopoloman wrote: I take it my subs didn't get renwed for this issue then :cry:

AND as before, the subs dept. take forever to email back.... had nothing from them at all :evil:

If they emailed me to let me know when my subs start I could prepare myself for the shock of purchasing it at a shop :shock:

C'mon RG SUBS -email me :evil: :evil:
If you didn't get it today then I'd imagine not.

You do have time to prepare though, it hits shops on Thursday and then you can find out what the last 2 posts were about ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:08 am

Damn, my PC is rubbish for replying from home. I'll post a reply to Retro Trader on monday

Dudley's many points basically sum up the quality of the compilation though. It doesn't matter how many great games are on there (and there is some cracking stuff) if you can't get the UI working and have to resort to going out of your way to play the actual games, you've got nothing more than a disk of ROMS.

If Capcom released a compilation and you couldn't play many of the games you'd be outraged, why should this package be treated any differently?

I'm afraid your comments come off as nothing more than sour grapes, and I'm pretty confident that the majority of readers will see that as well.
Last edited by Darran@Retro Gamer on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.