Retro Gamer just too expensive in the USA

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:03 am

I really like this magazine, and there's nothing else like it over here in the States. They sell it on the newsstand at US$8 an issue, always a month late. I've subscribed in the past, but my renewal just came up ... not only does it look like I won't get #28 even if I renew, the USA renewal is 80 pounds, or US$150 for 13 issues. As much as I love RG, I just can't justify this expense.

Recently EDGE started a deal for USA subscribers. It's still not cheap, but I was able to get 26 issues (2 years) of their magazine for US$135.

Are there any plans for a cut-rate deal for foreign subscribers?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:20 am

We're hoping to have a six month sub in place very soon. It will still work out at the same price, but at least you won't have to fork out your cash all at once.

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:19 am

Any plans to make the foreign subscriptions cheaper than just picking it up in the shops? I am jealous of the UK's 2.50 pounds per issue deal.

Or am I just spoiled by advertiser-subsidised mags in the US, which are almost free to subscribers?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am

flojomojo wrote:
Or am I just spoiled by advertiser-subsidised mags in the US, which are almost free to subscribers?
Afraid so mate

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 am

About time something was.

--

More seriously EDGE has 2 big advantages here.

1) It's a bigger circulation magazine anyway.
2) Its parent company has a MASSIVE prescence in the US as well.

But yeah, the £2.50 an issue deal in the UK is far and away the best deal in computing magazines, normally you might save a 1/3rd off newstand if you're really lucky. I've seen your subscription prices for normal mags and I hate you ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:45 am

Look on the bright side, the magazine is even more expensive in Ireland.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:34 pm

I pay $11.99 at newstand. where are you getting yours? I just don't see this as all that expensive. sorry i mean a bottle of soda is near $2, and going to the movies costs 12 bucks a person, if you get candy/popcorn forget about it. I've said it before, just skip a couple meals a month and buy RG. :)

flojomojo

Re:

Post by flojomojo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Dudley -- good points about Future. I hadn't realized how big they are, both in the USA and the UK. I'll take the money I'm "saving" by buying petrol in the states and put it towards the mag one way or the other.
CrookedMouth wrote:I pay $11.99 at newstand. where are you getting yours? I just don't see this as all that expensive. sorry i mean a bottle of soda is near $2, and going to the movies costs 12 bucks a person, if you get candy/popcorn forget about it. I've said it before, just skip a couple meals a month and buy RG. :)
Yes, I can economize, but the principle is not that I can't afford it, it's just that it's hard to justify the cost. As for the price, it occurs to me that $7.99 is what EDGE costs. I haven't actually bought RG at the newsstand (been subscribing) -- for all I know it is $11.99. Is it worth it to me? I guess the moment of truth will come when I finally see #28 here for sale. There's a 99% probability that I'll go silly for the shiny Starfox cover and buy it.

The difference between this and going to the movies, etc. is that one doesn't lay out the cash for 13 movies at a time, to a company in a foreign country, that doesn't return my email or phone calls. Another difference is that I have been burned by the magazine's previous owners when they went into foreclosure.

I wish there were a cheaper way to distribute this excellent magazine here. Since there isn't, I'll either have to suck it up and pay for the good lovin' or do without.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Sounds like revenge to me ! ;)

Being a fan of the NFL i've spent years getting american mags sent over at ridiculous rates, as soon as its the UK they seem to triple the postage. Nice knowing an american has to pay a lot more for a UK mag ;)

Only joking, hope you manage to get it cheaper, with Paypal you may be able to get a friend in Europe to send it to you ?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:22 pm

Although I know it doesn't account for a huge chunk of the difference, it's also worth noting that Edge's UK news-stand price is only 80 per cent of that of Retro Gamer's (£4 vs £4.99).
Last edited by CraigGrannell on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

flojomojo

Re:

Post by flojomojo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:58 pm

psj3809 wrote:Sounds like revenge to me ! ;)

Being a fan of the NFL i've spent years getting american mags sent over at ridiculous rates, as soon as its the UK they seem to triple the postage. Nice knowing an american has to pay a lot more for a UK mag ;)

Only joking, hope you manage to get it cheaper, with Paypal you may be able to get a friend in Europe to send it to you ?
Sure, are you volunteering for that monthly duty? :wink: I'll send you all the :? NFL stuff you want.

Wizard Of Odd

Re:

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Dudley wrote:
About time something was.
Hehe, yeah, I was going to say.

Retro Gamer might be too expensive in the States, but I'm sure you can afford it what with the money you save on petrol, CDs, internet costs etc etc...

:P

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Yeah, I'll probably just suck it up!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:01 am

I pay 13.90AUD which is far too expensive. :evil:
真・豪鬼

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:12 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I pay 13.90AUD which is far too expensive. :evil:
According to Yahoo! GBP 4.99 = AUD 12.34, which means you're paying a premium of AUD 1.56 (or 63p)—not a massive difference.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com