GamesTM Issue 100

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: GamesTM Issue 100

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:44 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
thevulture wrote:Much appreciated, Last i saw was Edge promoting how many people visted Edge Online. Both these figures are lower than i expected, Printed medium in that much of a decline?. :?
In recent history, Edge has never been a huge seller for Future (~35k has been its historical best in the ABCs, and low 30s has been something of an average)—instead, it's a flagship title, designed to show off the overall Future brand. I don't recall a huge dip for games™ either.
Just curious, how do likes of GamesTm/Edge fare again`st Non-gaming magazines? say sci-fi now? Also, as a Flagship, what exactly is it (Edge) supposed to be showing off? (It does`nt even name it`s reviewers) and if it`s NOT reaching the masses, seems more of a cult publication, than crowning glory.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 am

I've no idea what Sci-Fi Now sells, since it doesn't post its ABCs, but since it's a niche publication, I doubt it does more than Edge. The majority of publications in a similar space (from computer magazines through to comics like 2000 AD) tend these days to sell in the 5k–50k area.

Regarding Edge, the 'flagship' status is in terms of industry importance and production values. It's a magazine that shows off what the publisher is capable of. On reaching the masses, that's not Edge's aim these days, although one might argue that it was placed to be such a magazine when it first appeared.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:06 am

Edge has always had the status of being non-Mainstream though, Has`nt it?-Have the entire collection and you`ll see stuff like-Edge:It`s not for everyone, Marmite, Thou shall not worship false idols etc in amongst the rest of the stuff, so they`ve never been shy to admit they are not mainstream.Plus at a certain Retro event when a freelance Jurno.(Who no longer works for the magazine) was brandishing his press pass, like it had some prestige, always had the impression 'they' class themselves cut from a different cloth.Anywho-reason i was curious on sales figures:Having seen likes of EGM, C+VG, PC Zone go under, increased push by magazines to buy the iphone App etc,just how much more 'Life' in it, printed medium has.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 am

thevulture wrote:Anywho-reason i was curious on sales figures:Having seen likes of EGM, C+VG, PC Zone go under, increased push by magazines to buy the iphone App etc,just how much more 'Life' in it, printed medium has.
EGM had a circulation in the several hundred thousand, however the printed magazine business in the US is a whole different ballgame and can't be compared to the UK market.

The US market is completely advertising based. Cheap subscriptions are simply used to increase circulation numbers so it attracts more advertisers. OTOH, it seems that in the UK publishers actually price their subscriptions so as to actually make money on them (go figure :) ).

Couple that with the difference in distribution costs in the US vs. the UK and you can see that its much more difficult for a publisher to run a print magazine in the US when compared to the UK (which is likely why most of the magazines in the US are junk whereas in the UK the magazines are of high quality).
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:38 am

@ Jet Pilot:Much appreciate the insight to US market.Here in UK, Last few magazines i know of going under:C+VG(Rot set in way before the end), PSW and PC Zone-which i was most surprised to see go-Seemed a quality magazine.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:02 am

Mine has got a MASSIVE WILLY on the cover (Manic Miner)! :lol:

My local WHSmiths has a Wizball one and a Space Invader one if anyone is interested.
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am

Will be doing a tour of Manchester newsagents after work tonight to see what I can find. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:00 pm

Had a look in my local WH Smith and Tesco today and saw no less than 11 different covers (no duplicates)

the ones I saw were:

Rez
Syndicate
Vib Ribbon
Mario 64
Fallout 3
Bomberman
Soul Calibur 2
Nights
Burnout 3
Pikmin 2
Final Fantasy 7

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 pm

I subscribe to Games(tm) and got back from hols to find my copy , ripped it open , hoping for skool daze or sensi - i got bayonetta - boo !!
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Well my local had Tetris,Donkey Kong and Pacman - so I went for Pacman. Was hoping for Skool Daze , but hey
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Kenz wrote:My local WHSmiths has a Wizball one and a Space Invader one if anyone is interested.
I'll take the Wizball one if you can get it for me heh... I'll have a look in my WH Smiths when I get back from Eurocon, they still had issue #99 on the shelves yesterday...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:03 am

I was able to take advantage of the limited offer to select specific covers to buy. Decided on the Metal Slug and Disgaea covers.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:27 am

I need to get the Simcity2000 one for my collection. Haven't found it yet but I'm hoping it won't be all that desirable and will end up on ebay relatively cheap. Would also like the Skool Daze, Sensi and Cannon Fodder ones, but I'm assuming they'll be pretty sought after...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:34 am

I will look in Manchester today Pete and grab a copy of the SimCity one if I come across it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 am

I've looked in practically every newsagent in city centre Manchester already! :lol:

Best I could come up with was Vib Ribbon & Manic Miner. I don't think I spotted a Sim City one, but there was definitely a Cannon Fodder one somewhere (I think it was in WH Smiths in the Arndale)

The place is coming down with Wario & Final Fantasy ones though.

I'd LOVE a Skool Daze one, but I think I'll just settle for Manic Miner, after all it's what's inside that counts! :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue