Issue 80 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Morkin

Re: Issue 80 feedback

Post by Morkin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:29 am

Great to see a review of Driving Crazy by Randy D Pearson, a book I knew nothing about! Thirty seconds later I ordered a copy from his site. :D

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's two pages in an issue. Hardly a juncture or a massive change in the mag's direction. And you're right, some people will have read everything about it, but not everyone will have. If I thought it was pointless I wouldn't introduce it. Oh and Castlevania isn't in next issue now.
Yeah, I'm not saying right now this is a massive thing (and it may not be, ever), I'm just saying that it may signal a change of sorts. I know there has been mention of getting newer titles into the mag; acceptance of that could mean lead to them increasing in number.

I'm not doubting your ability to guide the mag in the right direction, but at the same time things like this can almost gain entry via the back door unless (and by that I mean based on feedback both on here and post/emails).

Out of interest, how come Castlevania is not in the next issue?

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm half way through the Excite Bike article, and I was surprised it said it's considered to be the first editor ever in a game. There were loads of games before it with editors (20 or so when I checked), and even if it meant a "track" editor on a motor racing game, then Rally Speedway beat it (and possibly other racing games), as that was released first in 1983. I used to make tracks on R.S. myself, which was great fun.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:34 am

necronom wrote:I'm half way through the Excite Bike article, and I was surprised it said it's considered to be the first editor ever in a game. There were loads of games before it with editors (20 or so when I checked), and even if it meant a "track" editor on a motor racing game, then Rally Speedway beat it (and possibly other racing games), as that was released first in 1983. I used to make tracks on R.S. myself, which was great fun.
I'm pretty sure Rally Speedway was released in 1984.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:47 am

Bless you Retrogamer. Saying that the 5200 port of Sinistar had great label art. I painted that. Cheers guys :) Even so, I haven't played the game yet (or any of their 5200 games I worked on) as it's a bugger getting a system in the UK.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:28 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:
necronom wrote:I'm half way through the Excite Bike article, and I was surprised it said it's considered to be the first editor ever in a game. There were loads of games before it with editors (20 or so when I checked), and even if it meant a "track" editor on a motor racing game, then Rally Speedway beat it (and possibly other racing games), as that was released first in 1983. I used to make tracks on R.S. myself, which was great fun.
According to a few placed I read, it was first released in 1983 ("It was originally developed by John Anderson and marketed by Adventure International in 1983"). Moby Games, the Wiki pages, and Atari Mania all say 1983.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:44 am

necronom wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:
According to a few placed I read, it was first released in 1983 ("It was originally developed by John Anderson and marketed by Adventure International in 1983"). Moby Games, the Wiki pages, and Atari Mania all say 1983.
Rally Speedway was a game I spotted when writing the feature, but when I checked the details on Gamefaqs it was listed as being released in 1984 - to be fair, it does appear to be the C64 release, with no mention of an earlier Atari 8-bit release. So you could have me there. Good spot.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:21 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:
necronom wrote:According to a few placed I read, it was first released in 1983 ("It was originally developed by John Anderson and marketed by Adventure International in 1983"). Moby Games, the Wiki pages, and Atari Mania all say 1983.
Rally Speedway was a game I spotted when writing the feature, but when I checked the details on Gamefaqs it was listed as being released in 1984 - to be fair, it does appear to be the C64 release, with no mention of an earlier Atari 8-bit release. So you could have me there. Good spot.
Gamebase has the C64 version down as 1985... perhaps Gamefaqs took an average? =-)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:58 am

Another great Retro Gamer. Even better having my Civilization II review in there. Thanks Stuart! :D

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:29 am

SirClive wrote:
martyg wrote:It's not "perfect 10 at the time of the release", it's the 10 best games from the 5200 library that someone new to the system should get to play on it. It's a retrospective list based in 2010, not a 1984 advertisement.
I agree. I read them to find out which games I should try on that system and if that means a few homebrews are thrown in then I have no problem with that.
I also agree. If a recent game for a classic system is better than 99% of the official releases I want to read about it. The Perfect 10 has always provided a contemporary interpretation of which games are worth playing on a classic system, so it seems reasonable to also include 21st century games if they are better than earlier releases for the system.

A few general comments about the issue while I'm here. I approached RG80 with some trepidation - I'm familiar with many of the games that were covered in detail, but did not feel that I had sufficient interest in them to read an article. Fortunately, I did read the articles and, for the most part, was glad of it. The stand-out features for me were the Atari 5200 retroinspection, Ikari Warrior, Bad Influence and Desert Island Discs features. The Excite Bike history was also enjoyable, but a chore to read in one sitting. It needed a few headings to allow the reader to jump in and out of the article.

The Ultimate Guide is a great idea for a feature, though I feel it requires some further development. In its current form it reminds me of the GamesTM Retro features - interesting to read and accessible to a broad audience who have never heard of the game, but lacking in the detail that RG usually provides. I would prefer to trade the Pixel Perfect page for more info about the development process (if the developers have previously been interviewed), the bad bits/aspects that many people find frustrating (avoiding the use of forum quotes to prevent overlap with Let's All Play), the variants that exist (betas, regional variants) and more quotes from game reviews of the time.

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:46 am

knight_beat wrote:The Ultimate Guide is a great idea for a feature, though I feel it requires some further development. In its current form it reminds me of the GamesTM Retro features - interesting to read and accessible to a broad audience who have never heard of the game, but lacking in the detail that RG usually provides. I would prefer to trade the Pixel Perfect page for more info about the development process (if the developers have previously been interviewed), the bad bits/aspects that many people find frustrating (avoiding the use of forum quotes to prevent overlap with Let's All Play), the variants that exist (betas, regional variants) and more quotes from game reviews of the time.
I must admit that I haven't really got a handle on what "The Ultimate Guide" is exactly trying to do. I mean, what is it doing differently than other features? It seems to be a mash-up of a few different types. "The Making Of..." is usually an interview with a developer about how a game was made. "The Classic Game" is a 2-page deconstruction of gameplay moments. "Why You Must Play" is kind of the same but with a brief review of the game's conversions. "The History Of" is a broad explanation of game releases in a series.

"The Ultimate Guide" seems to be doing a bit of all of these, but can't do any of them with as much detail. Last month's Rainbow Islands was frustratingly short on real information, not managing to give as much information as any other dedicated feature type. (And I didn't buy the current issue because I have no interest in Axelay).

merman

Post by merman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:22 pm

First console game with a track editor then?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:23 am

SqueakyG wrote:I must admit that I haven't really got a handle on what "The Ultimate Guide" is exactly trying to do. I mean, what is it doing differently than other features?
The Ultimate Guides give us a full list of which games are canon to a series, as well as highlighting the key differences and notable features that differentiate them from their siblings. No other features attempt to list all of the games in a series with this level of detail. How much enjoyment you get from them will depend to some extent on how much you identify with the series in question.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
SqueakyG wrote:I must admit that I haven't really got a handle on what "The Ultimate Guide" is exactly trying to do. I mean, what is it doing differently than other features?
The Ultimate Guides give us a full list of which games are canon to a series, as well as highlighting the key differences and notable features that differentiate them from their siblings. No other features attempt to list all of the games in a series with this level of detail. How much enjoyment you get from them will depend to some extent on how much you identify with the series in question.
Aren't you mixing things up with The Definitive... ?

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:18 am

I would have to be honest and say i prefer the Definitive guides to the Ultimate guides. In general seeing conversions and history timeline is more interesting - well to me.