Issue 80 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gabe

Re: Issue 80 feedback

Post by Gabe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:39 am

merman wrote:
Gabe wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:will post more once I've read cover to cover, but I have to say that I think to have Axelay Ultimate Guide and as Lets All Play all in once issue is a bit OTT (and I like Axelay).
I said exactly this last issue about Rainbow Islands but it seemed a lot of folks seem to like it.
To me, it makes sense to have the two features together in an issue, but I can also see why some people might think it's too much.
Well after reading the rest of the thread Darran has said it won't happen in future, and I think that's the right call.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:51 am

i enjoyed the fact that there was all that rainbow islands stuff in the last mag, kind of an exhaustive look at it - i'm assuming we'll never see rainbow island feature again in the mag.i'd rather have it all in one info-bomb than having, say, jet set willy (or whatever that game is..) get a big feature once a year, every year. i'm definitely looking forward to ten pages of axelay, and expect to never see the game again in RG.

i'm probably in a minority though, and as darran has already written its not happening again. shame. quite like the theming of issues.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:47 pm

merman wrote:
TMR wrote:
BiNMaN wrote:you know what they say 6 of 1 1/2 doz of the other

you could always make it up to me........even higher mark for our next game....... :wink:
Aw, i have to be all impartial and stuff like that... they don't even let me review my own games!
I'd willingly review them. I can be impartial.
Cool... now i just have to finish something! =-)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:21 pm

was going to wait until I'd finished the whole magazine, but I enjoyed the excitebike feature so much just wanted to spread the love right away (plus its raining and my family picnic is cancelled so I'm unexpectedly at a lose end :( )

what did surprise me was just how few 'official' excite games there were - the NES Classic GBA cart is rarely out of my DS's frontal hole.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:07 pm

HEAVYface wrote:i enjoyed the fact that there was all that rainbow islands stuff in the last mag, kind of an exhaustive look at it - i'm assuming we'll never see rainbow island feature again in the mag.i'd rather have it all in one info-bomb than having, say, jet set willy (or whatever that game is..) get a big feature once a year, every year. i'm definitely looking forward to ten pages of axelay, and expect to never see the game again in RG.

i'm probably in a minority though, and as darran has already written its not happening again. shame. quite like the theming of issues.
If (and that's a big if) that was the last we'd see of a given game then I'd actually agree with you - one of my gripes in the past is the amount of coverage some games get (in different guises, yes, but coverage all the same) in a number of issues. I don't see that it would happen that way though.

That said, certainly with regards to Axelay it may well be the only coverage of it you see, not sure the same could be said about Rainbow Islands though?

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:09 am

Thank you for the article on Larry De Mar. The man was so often overlooked in favour of Eugenius Jarvis, but no longer :D

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 am

Gabe wrote:
HEAVYface wrote:i enjoyed the fact that there was all that rainbow islands stuff in the last mag, kind of an exhaustive look at it - i'm assuming we'll never see rainbow island feature again in the mag.i'd rather have it all in one info-bomb than having, say, jet set willy (or whatever that game is..) get a big feature once a year, every year. i'm definitely looking forward to ten pages of axelay, and expect to never see the game again in RG.

If (and that's a big if) that was the last we'd see of a given game then I'd actually agree with you - one of my gripes in the past is the amount of coverage some games get (in different guises, yes, but coverage all the same) in a number of issues. I don't see that it would happen that way though.

That said, certainly with regards to Axelay it may well be the only coverage of it you see, not sure the same could be said about Rainbow Islands though?
yep! surely theres nothing else to say about rainbow islands i mean i like the game, but what else needs to be said about it?

if it saw some homebrew action i'd maybe expect a brief mention, but thats it?

edit:actually scrub that - i guess if there maybe some developer/conversion story to be told.

rolan

Post by rolan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 am

I don't really get the point of putting axelay on the cover if essentially all the article is is just a run through of the levels and a walkthrough on how to beat it mixed with the "let's all play" segment which lets face still feels like an excuse to fill a few pages with random stuff from the forums. Liked the excitebike article even if it did suffer from not interviewing anyone involved with the Nes version (which admittedly would have insanely difficult to arrange) but I liked the way it actually taught me many new things I didn't know about the franchise, so very well done whoever wrote that.

Might be time to do a relatively big company for the developer profile next issue... being a console centred gamer I don't think I've bothered reading the last few "from the archives" due to them being about companies who operated pretty much solely in the micro or PC areas.

rolan

Post by rolan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Oh and while I liked the atari 5200 article I thought it was cheating to name 6 out of the top 10 games for the system as homebrew/self-published games... There must have been some decent games for the machine that actually were officially released surely? I could understand unreleased but officially developed games being considered for top 10 for a machine (e.g. something like starfox 2) but it seems to be against the spirit of things to see games developed in the 21st century being allowed to be considered against the original 80's releases...

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:12 pm

rolan wrote:Oh and while I liked the atari 5200 article I thought it was cheating to name 6 out of the top 10 games for the system as homebrew/self-published games... There must have been some decent games for the machine that actually were officially released surely? I could understand unreleased but officially developed games being considered for top 10 for a machine (e.g. something like starfox 2) but it seems to be against the spirit of things to see games developed in the 21st century being allowed to be considered against the original 80's releases...
I have to admit to feeling the same way - it's great that there is still homebrew for these machines - but what were the classics from it's heyday, that's how I would think of a top 10

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:26 pm

well the perfect ten has always been about great games. Martin obviously felt that these were worth mentioning as it's quite possible that the casual gamer wouldn't even be aware of them.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I enjoyed the larger retro booty I have to say.

doing a themed extra couple of pages every now and then is fine with me (except I end up spending money on the stuff.... :( )

judging from the forum, a lot of people seem interested in Retro themed books - maybe they could be rounded up at some time?
Yes, a round of Retro books is needed as trying to find retro game based books can be tricky as they generally don`t get highlighted at the various book websites.
I`ve got the ones that most people will have already eg. "The 8-bit book", "The Video Gaming Manual", "The Video Games Guide", "Videogames Hardware Handbook", "Guinness World Records Gamer Edition" and my fav "The Encyclopedia of Game.Machines 1972-2005" but there must more to be found.

I`m working on my own go at a retro book called "Screenshots May Vary", it`s more of a reference book with 900 screenshots of ZX/C64/CPC games showing how they are quite different from each other. Its a self-published book through lulu.com so is very expensive, but I`m reformatting it to cram all the screens into less pages to try to get the price down. Target price will be £7.50 while the first 326 page book remains the Deluxe version.

Some video and images at this thread:- http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... s+may+vary

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I just tried playing Axelay for the first time (emulator, Xbox 360 pad). I honestly couldn't get more than 10 seconds into it! The things encircle you, and I have no idea how to survive them. It's so utterly deflating when you can't even experience the game for more than 10 seconds. Killed, killed, killed, killed, killed. It's the game saying: "F'k off loser, you're not cool enough to play with us."

(Okay, I read some of the Let's All Play threads to see if anyone talked about how the hell to get more than 10 seconds into the first level. They did. Something about firing directionally. I tried it, and did indeed get past the things that encircle you. But I have no clue how the directional firing works. I can merely mash the buttons and feel puzzled. Thus I can now get 30 seconds into level 1 8) :lol: I wish shmups like this could give you a training level, where there are no enemies and you get to figure out the controls.)

Don't bother giving me tips, I shan't be playing again. (Isn't "shan't" a good word? Not enough people use "shan't".) Even if I got the hang of it, the bad first impression means I don't want to be friends with it.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind, but anyway.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:29 pm

SqueakyG wrote:I just tried playing Axelay for the first time
So did I, yesterday. I had two goes, and got to the spider baddie at the end of level 1. I didn't think it was very good, and didn't want to play it again. I guess you had to be there (which will be the case in a lot of games in RG), probably like the bike game in this months issue that I also haven't ever played (I'll probably try that after reading the feature).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V