Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

aztecca

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by aztecca » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 am

How about on Page 3 of the mag instead of the Staff telling us there favorite "Whatever" is turn the whole page 3 into a retro page 3.You could have classic shots of Maria Whitaker,Sam fox,Linda lusardi etc a well placed Mario head or Pacman could be used to cover the nips to avoid offense to anyone. :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:58 pm

markopoloman wrote:Can we have an RTS article? C&C/Total Annihilation/Dark Reign/KKND......... (on the PC of course)...
As long as Herzog Zwei's in there somewhere, I loved that game.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:44 am

If the mag turns into a pinball and fruit machine magazine then my subsription ends immediately.. the content is getting stretched, and I often find myself enjoying reading older issues from a few years back when stuff was fresh, whereas now I read through new issues in a couple of hours and theres never much that makes me come back for second reads..

I think with anything looking at the past, they is only a finite amount to write about and i think its becoming more and more clear all the best stuff has already been covered and now we are getting the crumbs..

This is why more space should be given to homebrew and the new games that are retro inspired

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 pm

ChipTune wrote:If the mag turns into a pinball and fruit machine magazine then my subsription ends immediately
That's no more likely than Retro Gamer becoming a magazine about tabletop games. However, *ONE* article about relevant pinballs or making-ofs on pinball videogames either have precedent (since issue 1 of the mag, related electronic games have been featured infrequently) or are just videogames anyway. (After all, Pinball Dreams has as much right to be in Retro Gamer as, say, Sensible Soccer.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm

ChipTune wrote: This is why more space should be given to homebrew and the new games that are retro inspired
The day that happens is the day I'm no longer running the mag.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:34 pm

I really don't mind if the mag goes off topic (or widens the topic) to include things like Simon etc from time to time. Same goes for gaming culture. Without these little diversions, it could all become a bit samey.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 pm

I picked-up #83 in WHSmith today and it's pretty much awesome.

Uh, that's all I have to add..... :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 pm

ChipTune wrote:If the mag turns into a pinball and fruit machine magazine then my subsription ends immediately.. the content is getting stretched, and I often find myself enjoying reading older issues from a few years back when stuff was fresh, whereas now I read through new issues in a couple of hours and theres never much that makes me come back for second reads..
who said anything about a pinball/fruit machine magazine? Why jump to that extreme? I absolutely loved the Simon article they did for instance, I loved that diversion, it just gives a little more dymanic and it still is absolutely relevant in my opinion.

I'd even love one of those sorts of things in *every* edition, its just like a sudden, interesting change as you read, and its also extremely interesting in my opinion.