Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ipmarks

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by ipmarks » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm

I'd be in the 'hadn't really noticed it till this thread appeared' camp.
Don't really mind which is used...I quite like the big colourful screenshots, but I also like the multi-picture ones.

There's only one way to settle this.....

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:38 pm

... Which is to use a mix of styles, just as Darran's already doing! Hurrah! Glad that's settled! Exclamation marks are fun!

!!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!!!! *boom*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:44 pm

... I was thinking more along a Harry Hill train of thought... but your way is nicer.

(I don't understand the exclamation mark joke... am I missing something obvious?)

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:57 am

SirClive wrote:
Bland_Boy wrote:I guarantee if there was a poll here asking whether one prefers "Single-Screen Blow-Up or Multiple Smaller Screenies with better quality"
Multiple smaller screenies would triumph, probably at a ratio of 50-1.
Ha! 50-1, you're having a laugh mate. I am certain that if RG had had 50-1 feedback against something they would no longer be doing it. These guys aren't new to this game.
In case you haven't noticed I tend to exaggerate from time to time.
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Bland_Boy wrote:I'm just probably the only one who sees it and still bothers to buy the magazine and actually post about the discontent.
Or perhaps you're the only one who sees it to this extent.

Frankly, a word count is irrelevant anyway, since it takes things out of context. Robotron is mentioned a lot in Retro Gamer, because it's a seed game, responsible for practically every single twin-stick shooter. However, the game itself (in and of itself) has had an RR and a four-page making-of, along with a spot in the odd chart.

There was at one time arguably a bit of a Miner Willy fixation, but it was hardly overbearing, and none of Smith's games are mentioned that often these days. As for Mario, the character gets mentioned plenty because of the importance of the various series he's featured in. De-facto articles about Mario have been rare throughout Retro Gamer's history, though, and it's hardly like the mag's forcing 'Mario this' and 'Mario that' down readers' throats every month.
It's funny you should say that about Robotron, because whilst it may have only had very limited coverage, the perception I have (because of frequent name checking) is that it has featured far more. Now I know that happens with a number of games and people, but do I pick up on it more for those I have little interest in? Certainly. On that basis I agree to an extent with Bland_Boy, in that my perception is that Mario is very often 'in' the mag in some way.

I think some of the other concerns with a Mario piece is that a lot of information has long-since been known but that's supposition until the article is out - I'm sure some stuff will turn up that is fresh.

Completely OT, but it would be interesting to see the stats for how many times a particular console/computer has had the cover of the mag.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 am

I think it does depend on each article. I recall when it was revealed Tetris was in the next issue, people started complaining, and yet when the article was out there, people were very positive, because it provided new insights into the creation of the game. I guess the issue is in whether an article provides new insight or a different way of telling a story, as opposed to just regurgitating known facts. I'd hope that whatever RG has lined up for Mario will be pretty special.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:50 am

Well I don't know about special, because we've once again been unable to speak to Miyamoto or anyone else related to the franchise. On the other hand Stuart is pretty good with these articles and we've also managed to speak to a number of developers including Ralph Baer, John Carmack, Trip Hawkins, Greg Omi, Jim Bagley and quite a few more. I dare say that there will be some stuff people already know, but that's always an issue we face with the mag anyway, especially when you're dealing with a well known icon.

Everyone complained about the Lara Croft article until they had actually read it (then some people still complained). I guess we'll know once it comes out.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well I don't know about special, because we've once again been unable to speak to Miyamoto or anyone else related to the franchise. On the other hand Stuart is pretty good with these articles and we've also managed to speak to a number of developers including Ralph Baer, John Carmack, Trip Hawkins, Greg Omi, Jim Bagley and quite a few more. I dare say that there will be some stuff people already know, but that's always an issue we face with the mag anyway, especially when you're dealing with a well known icon.

Everyone complained about the Lara Croft article until they had actually read it (then some people still complained). I guess we'll know once it comes out.
I appreciate you may not want to answer, but how much of the mag is Mario-themed?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Why will it factor in to whether you buy the magazine?

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Why will it factor in to whether you buy the magazine?
I'm a subscriber, otherwise I would likely give it a miss, yes (much like I have with other issues in recent times - the Mario Kart and Metroid ones spring to mind).

But I only really asked because I'm curious - simple as that.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 pm

There's a little more than what we've had for the past few covers. We were going for 25 to tie in with the 25 years of Super Mario, but we decided to not.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 am

I think there should be a couple of extra pages reviewing / mentioning all the fantastic freeware and remakes as so many great titles go unmentioned and much of the old games and systems have been done to death so a couple of extra pages devoted to the amazing retro games out there being made now would be great.

I know there are people who argue this isnt retro but they are wrong and of course it is, i love retro gaming and have many old systems but I also love some of the excellent freeware / Indie games for the PC, and I know you do feature them but sometimes the reviews are tiny.. megaman 10 on the wii was a big deal for retro fans but it received coverage the size of a postage stamp.

I also think the letters page is a waste of space and a bit childish, i know its probably a hark back to the old CVG days but its pointless filler with people saying how wonderful the mag is or questions that could easily be answered online or on this very forum.

Apart from that I think the mag has the balance about right and it always has interesting features.. although sometimes in recent issues I have felt you are stretching the material slightly with some very obscure stuff.. but the most recent issue was very good - the FUTURE CLASSIC feature (Metroid Zero) was very good and should be a regular feature.

I hope this has been useful in some way

keep up the good work

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:29 pm

I think the Letters page is all made up. My girlfriend sent a letter in several years ago and it still hasn't showed up :P
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:17 pm

"still hasn't showed up".. ?
awesome use of the English language dude, way to go! :P

retrowow

Post by retrowow » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:17 am

How about

A dedicated Christmas cover every year, last years mag didn't have it big shame was looking onward to it.
Now that ur running out of consoles it would be great to hear more about stuff that failed to make it such as m2, jaguar 2 there must be loads of developer info out there.

Also more about the collecting scene such as variations that people can collect such as various box releases like snes Mario collection, st turbo and so on.

I think the collectors guide needs updating the prices are incorrect in some cases

A buy,bell,trade page like in the old amstrad and games master would be cool,

Also be great to hear more about items such as snes fitness bike, sega vr, jag vr, and more game boy original reviews or something great would be a pull out handheld supplement like the Go handheld days.