Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tellah

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by Tellah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:07 am

Retroinspection was always good, but never focused enough on the the GAMES. The accompanying 10 Essentials has always been so uninspired. :x
Please, please, please... reinvent this section. Go back over the GAMES and do them properly. Consult collectors and enthusiasts (when you are ready to do Gameboy, give me a shout). Break it into new sections... Hidden Gems, Defining Games, Most Valuable, Best games for Pennies, Worst games, Craziest Games, Import Only, Best Homebrew.... you get the idea. What do you think? Perhaps supplemented with opinions on why the machine appeals to the contributing enthusiasts. Somthing like the 'Let's Play'.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:10 am

When we reveal the new hardware feature it will focus largely - but not entirely - on the games of the machine (most technically proficient, rarest, most expensive, best imports and so on). We were hoping to get one in the current issue but Mario has been taking over all the spare space...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:When we reveal the new hardware feature it will focus largely - but not entirely - on the games of the machine (most technically proficient, rarest, most expensive, best imports and so on). We were hoping to get one in the current issue but Mario has been taking over all the spare space...
Cracking idea - I know loads of people like to read about hardware specs etc but I don't - its all about the games for me.

Can I sugest you sod Mario and do a C64 article instead :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 pm

jb1014 wrote:do some more specific games features. RG is now scraping the barrel with retroinspection (the feature on the gamate - jeez!). !
have to disagree - I think retro-inspection has always been a strong section - and now that it's moving onto more obscure machines, that just doubles the interest. I say well done for keeping finding new formats to review.

davekam

Post by davekam » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:46 am

Honestly, I feel that the magazine is great and is getting better with every issue. I love your super in-depth game coverage and interviews. The newer features like "The Unconverted" and "Same Name, Different Game" are terrific and I hope will be mainstays. I can honestly say that your game magazine is the only magazine I care to read and that I wait patiently each month for my issue to ship stateside so I can read all the great new articles and interviews. Keep up the good work guys.

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Somebody said "and still no mario feature?" wtf are you talking about, Mario and his games have been featured tons of the course of this magazines history.

What this magazine really needs is to start covering more games it hasn't already covered...

Like say a feature on "Troika" ,
or just even one of their games; "Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obcsura"
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:29 pm

I agree; Mario has been done to death and I, for one, have zero interest in reading any more about the franchise.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:08 am

Still enjoying the magazine a lot... the 'Laser Squad' issue was particularly good.

My favourite sections over the years have been 'Conversion Capers' and 'Definitive Guide to...'.

Just a suggestion, but I'd quite like you to look more at the content of games rather than just focusing on the developers and history. Perhaps an in depth look at the different levels or looking at different ways to complete a game.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:36 am

Bland_Boy wrote:Somebody said "and still no mario feature?" wtf are you talking about, Mario and his games have been featured tons of the course of this magazines history.

What this magazine really needs is to start covering more games it hasn't already covered...

The only feature we've done on Mario is a two page on Mario Land.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 am

SirPsychoSexy wrote:I agree; Mario has been done to death and I, for one, have zero interest in reading any more about the franchise.
You might not like next issue then...
Worry not though, as once we've done this particular feature we'll be all mariod out.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 am

batman877 wrote:Still enjoying the magazine a lot... the 'Laser Squad' issue was particularly good.

My favourite sections over the years have been 'Conversion Capers' and 'Definitive Guide to...'.

Just a suggestion, but I'd quite like you to look more at the content of games rather than just focusing on the developers and history. Perhaps an in depth look at the different levels or looking at different ways to complete a game.
That's kinda what the "Classic game" feature does, isn't it?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Bland_Boy wrote:Somebody said "and still no mario feature?" wtf are you talking about, Mario and his games have been featured tons of the course of this magazines history.

You may be right, if you mean features on ONLY MARIO HIMSELF AND NOBODY ELSE, which i'm fairly certain you're not doin'
and you're probably going to mention every game he's ever been in AGAIN, for the umpteenth time.

but in reality Mario and his games have been covered so much, it's almost as bad as some other characters
that get far too much attention every year.

Issues 31-55 alone, Mario is mentioned every issue at least 50 times, and that's not even counting all the coverage on every game he's ever graced.

To say you've never done a feature on Mario except a two-pager on Mario Land is perhaps the biggest lie ever to grace these pages.
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 am

Bland_Boy wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

You may be right, if you mean features on ONLY MARIO HIMSELF AND NOBODY ELSE, which i'm fairly certain you're not doin'
and you're probably going to mention every game he's ever been in AGAIN, for the umpteenth time.

but in reality Mario and his games have been covered so much, it's almost as bad as some other characters
that get far too much attention every year.

Issues 31-55 alone, Mario is mentioned every issue at least 50 times, and that's not even counting all the coverage on every game he's ever graced.

To say you've never done a feature on Mario except a two-pager on Mario Land is perhaps the biggest lie ever to grace these pages.
Since I've taken over the magazine we have never written an article about Mario as a character and his influence on games (which this feature is about) and we've never written a feature about all of his games either. He's been mentioned in the top 25 platformers, and the aforementioned Mario Land and, if I recall correctly we did a retro revival on super mario world about 4 years ago. As for saying he's featured at least 50 times in issues 31-55? Who's telling lies now :roll:

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 am

September 13th:
Kilb wrote:Oh dear
Who is this Lee Piper?
If you want a professional rendering get a proper artist in, not smeone still struggling with O Level
September 17th:
bounty bob wrote:Ok. Why not say if it has been in the shops for at least 3 weeks or if it has any link whatsoever to any old retro game or console right down to the programmers cousin twice removed and dont forget if it looks retro then it must be retro!
September 22nd:
Bland_Boy wrote:To say you've never done a feature on Mario except a two-pager on Mario Land is perhaps the biggest lie ever to grace these pages.
So is this wind up Darran month and nobody told me? :wink:

Seriously though, Darran and his team work miracles every issue keeping as many of us ungrateful b******s happy as humanly possible. Not that I'm saying that there should be no negative feedback allowed on the forum, just that there's a fine line between posting negative feedback and causing offense to the guys who produce such a great mag each month.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 am

You're always going to get criticism when you're creating something. Especially something that a lot of people genuinely love. It's part and parcel of the job and something I've been dealing with for over 7 years.

Actually now that I think about it we've done an article about the PC88 Mario Bros game and one about a CDI game. So that's 6 pages out of 7,182 pages.