Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Jet Pilot

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:49 pm

kiwimike wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Idea for improving the magazine:

Extend the Back to the 80s and 90s sections. These are my favourite bits of the mag! Four pages each please! Top tens for songs, albums, films and TV shows. Is there enough gaming material is the stumbling block i suppose. It’s obviously a gaming magazine, but a big reason for reading is the nostalgia element – and there’s nothing more nostalgic than old songs and telly shows.
I'd agree with that, I really enjoy those pages :)
Don't extend those sections...two pages per decade is enough. Would would be nice is a "Back to the Naughties" & "Back to the Seventies" section that was mentioned a dozen pages ago in this thread that covers the early portion of the previous decade and the late 70's.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

stvd wrote:I do have an iPod Touch which I might use for gaming (I almost exclusively use it for music) but the majority of titles reviewed haven't inspired me to do it so far.
Eek. You at the very least must start trawling the free-today websites, grabbing great games when they cost nothing, just for a taste. The first episode of Dark Nebula is still free at the time of writing, as is the fun Kamikaze Race and reasonably good RPG Fastar. But there are dozens of truly great retro-oriented games for 59p, to the level that it's pretty much the only platform I bother with these days (after years of DS/GBA/Xbox/DC/Mac/PC.
hydr0x wrote:That doesn't mean there are less contra guys than before.
Actually, there are. A good chunk of the 'anti' crowd from the forum now own iOS devices and most are no longer against coverage.
Gabe wrote:how about some features dedicated to games that have allowed for significant user content to extend the lifespan
That could make for a nice one-off feature—perhaps the top retro games with level-creation tools.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 am

Jet Pilot wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Idea for improving the magazine:

Extend the Back to the 80s and 90s sections. These are my favourite bits of the mag! Four pages each please! Top tens for songs, albums, films and TV shows. Is there enough gaming material is the stumbling block i suppose. It’s obviously a gaming magazine, but a big reason for reading is the nostalgia element – and there’s nothing more nostalgic than old songs and telly shows.
I'd agree with that, I really enjoy those pages :)
Don't extend those sections...two pages per decade is enough. Would would be nice is a "Back to the Naughties" & "Back to the Seventies" section that was mentioned a dozen pages ago in this thread that covers the early portion of the previous decade and the late 70's.
That's a really good idea, cover the decades right through from gaming start to recent retro. Sounds good to me. :)

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:43 am

Jet Pilot wrote:Would be nice is a "Back to the Naughties"
No a million times to this, but if it ever does come to pass then for the love of god don't call it "Back to the Naughties". It makes the decade sound like ten years of "Carry on" films and not to put too fine a point on it I f*****g hate "Carry on" films. A far less irritating alternative would be "Back to the Zeroes".
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Back to the Noughties.
Maybe, but I feel the front end of the mag is already quite dense.
Phew.
Jet Pilot wrote:"Back to the Seventies" section
Yes a million times to this, although I can see the research each month being challenging to say the least in terms of sourcing '70s game related publications, charts, release dates, press releases, etc. But if it's at all feasable then it gets my vote.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 am

kiwimike wrote: I do have a suggestion that perhaps you could reprint some early editons that are hard to get and go for stupid ebay prices! :lol:
There's always those DVDs full of earlier issues...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there's something that's been bugging me for a while...

I just think that it's a bit mis-leading and pointless to have a game mentioned on the cover (issue 80 with The Lords of Midnight at the bottom of the cover for example) when it only has a Retro Revival spread in the mag. Fortunately, RG isn't sealed inside a bag otherwise potential readers might pick up an issue, think there's a decent sized article on said game inside then find only a couple of paragraphs + a giant blown-up screenshot.

Perdantic I know, but still...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there's something that's been bugging me for a while...

I just think that it's a bit mis-leading and pointless to have a game mentioned on the cover (issue 80 with The Lords of Midnight at the bottom of the cover for example) when it only has a Retro Revival spread in the mag. Fortunately, RG isn't sealed inside a bag otherwise potential readers might pick up an issue, think there's a decent sized article on said game inside then find only a couple of paragraphs + a giant blown-up screenshot.

Perdantic I know, but still...
Yeah, that occurred to me too; bothered me a bit - even though I've never actually gotten around to playing LOM!

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Oh, right, suggestions...

I demand pieces on the following, ideally a minimum of 8-10 pages on each (let me dream):
- the Jagged Alliance series from Sir-Tech
- the Police Quest series from Sierra (and pseudo-sequel Blue Force), before they spun off into the SWAT games
- hey, why not, the SWAT series
- North and South baby!
- the Ecstatica games & their creator, Andrew Spencer, including his never-released Urban Decay
- the H.R. Giger Darkseed games)
- the Cinemaware stuff (Defender Of The Crown, It Came From The Desert, King Of Chicago, etc.)
- the mighty Bruce Lee from Datasoft and follow-ups Conan and Zorro
- X-Com
- Dallas Quest - what a bizarre concept
- Midnight Resistance
- Shadowrun (I think the fantastic SNES version was covered years back, but the MD version was supposed to be great too)
- those CRL (?) text adventure adaptations of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Jack The Ripper, etc.
- Melbourne House's sublime Sherlock
- everything else I've ever enjoyed or been curious about...

Please?

EDIT
- and Zombies Ate My Neighbours
- and the brilliant Gabriel Knight series

sorry...
Last edited by SirPsychoSexy on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm sure 'It Came From The Desert' has been done, written in a kind of first person style IIRC. Similarly I'm sure Shadowrun had a feature with side by side reviews of the MD and MegaCD versions too although it might have been Games™ Retro....pretty sure it was RG though.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Something that would make the reviews part make much more sense, would be if they put prices on the reviews. Apart from the Playstation reviews, most others only mention meaningless "points". For example this month the Game Room part says that all games are 240 points. Is that good? Is it 50p each, or £5? I have no idea. I think adding the price in brackets would be good, or having some sort of standing text that lets people know what these things are, like a conversion chart or something.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

necronom wrote:I think adding the price in brackets would be good, or having some sort of standing text that lets people know what these things are, like a conversion chart or something.
Seconded.

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:43 pm

SirClive wrote:
necronom wrote:I think adding the price in brackets would be good, or having some sort of standing text that lets people know what these things are, like a conversion chart or something.
Seconded.
Yeah, long overdue.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm

@SirPhyscoSexy, some damn fine stuff mentioned in your post.As F.T mentioned Shadowrun has been covered(Early R.G i`m sure), Jagged Alliance?Would be of great interest-Huge fan of the Genre (Xcom:Best thing, EVER), sadly missed out on the J.A games.North and south, got a feeling it`s had coverage, but memory hazy.Darkseed games?Hell yes! Love to see that. Adding request of my own:Twliight 2000+Wasteland-gotta love apocaylpse games.

Mr_Staypuft

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:30 pm

necronom wrote:For example this month the Game Room part says that all games are 240 points. Is that good? Is it 50p each, or £5? I have no idea. I think adding the price in brackets would be good.
Quoting 'points' enables readers from around the world to instantly know how much that game costs to them.
ie: Without having to do a UK--> local currency conversion.

jb1014

Post by jb1014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:49 pm

do some more specific games features. RG is now scraping the barrel with retroinspection (the feature on the gamate - jeez!). But there must be mileage in a classic games section - expand on the top 10 games for specific consoles format. I'd love a detailed write up, for instance, on a whole bunch of speccie games and megadrive games. You could really go in depth with story line, best bits of the game, interviews with the people involved. I know all this is presently covered in other ways, but it could really become a focused and specific section of the mag more than the present offerings.

Also, bring back the retro console price table - although with a bit more accuracy this time!