Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:57 pm

A small request, but i`d like to see some coverage of stuff that had a lot of hype doing the rounds, but never made it. I.E Atari Panther, 3DO Mk 2, just love the What could have been aspect and curious to know how they`d have stacked up again`st the big players at the time.The Konix footage that came with a cover disc, way back in the early days was very interesting.But i`d prefer any future stuff to be in the magazine, not asking for more cover discs.

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:47 pm

I've always fancied some articles on some of the old magazines we used to get - I appreciate a lot of the writers worked for a lot of the same mags, but would love to see some makings of relating to Mean Machines, ACE, ST & Amiga Format, Amiga Power, The One, Super Play, Crash etc. Doesn't have to be a regular monthly thing, every 3 months or so to stretch it out a bit.

Or how about an article on the more dubious side of things - like the Super Magicom for the SNES.

An article on Datel and the Action Replay kit they used to make and sell for most computers and consoles.

Something on the old demo coders for the 16 bits.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:23 pm

TBH I really can't think of any improvements that can be made apart from the removal of the buyer's guide. Because lots of people look up prices on the internet these days, it's hardly worth including it.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Id like the mag to be less anal tbh

I appreciate it is authoritative but that doesnt mean that it has to be written in such a dry style.. Some humour wouldnt go amiss.

What about deconstructing particular genres of games then tracing histories of when particular games added something to the genre?

Gaming from around the world is good as long as isnt Japan centric, not everything comes from there.

Still not happy with the mooted ps2 xbox etc shenanigans when there is so much other stuff still to cover. and that particular generation is still widely available and isnt confined to boot fairs and ebay exclusively just yet. Ill quite happily agree that they are retro systems given the age, and have argued as much on the forum. I just dont think they are quite 'dead' just yet and stick by my 18 months and re evaluate constantly in the interim/

Artcles on Halo, Please no! not yet anyway

The Ebay thing is good, but include fluctuations despite what every one says.. Having a guide for lay readers and not retro geeks/ nerds makes it easier for people not to get ripped off if they pick up a magazine read it and get bitten by a retro bug.

What about a system/top games per mag approach with a smaller box for others ( main things covered more obscure shunted) or do
an ebay/value feature to tie in with what ever system is featured.. like 32 x for example.. could have had ebay stuff re the system and the games.

I went from sunscriber to not buying it at all as was bored but will now pick up the odd issue if there is something that appeals. I was toying with the idea of subscribing again but what put me off in all honesty would be that I would be come bored quite quickly with things getting repeated

As for the back to the 1980s 1990s.. what about going back and reviewing a particular magazine or system for that month. The overviews can be good but focusing in on particularly important months like launch months or similar would make an interesting addition to the genre

There is plenty more but i would be writing for ever
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

merman

Post by merman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:56 am

Well, I think the magazine has been very consistent recently in offering a nice range of articles.

I think there's room for a smaller hardware feature, perhaps a couple of pages to cover some of the more obscure computers/consoles or variants such as the C64GS. Specs, top 3 games, instant expert, why it failed... That would please a lot of readers.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:57 am

merman wrote:Well, I think the magazine has been very consistent recently in offering a nice range of articles.

I think there's room for a smaller hardware feature, perhaps a couple of pages to cover some of the more obscure computers/consoles or variants such as the C64GS. Specs, top 3 games, instant expert, why it failed... That would please a lot of readers.
agreed. Mini-retroinspections on more obscure (but valid) gaming platforms would be great.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:21 am

The sections I personally don't like are Eastern Promise (I think that is what the Jap games section is called) and Boss Rush.

I would love to see you work with some homebrew coders to make some of the games featured in the 'If x Was Realeased in the 80s' or whatever it is. Some of them have been genius and even if they were only short 2 or 3 level games it would be ace. This months Crackdown 2 was ace. The games could then be made available to download on the website and the feature upped from half a page to a full one. I'spose there is the IP issue though.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 am

There hasn't been an Eastern Promise in the mag for over a year, which is a shame from my point of view because I enjoyed doing them - but nobody ever read them anyway by the sounds of it ;)

merman

Post by merman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am

mikeb wrote:There hasn't been an Eastern Promise in the mag for over a year, which is a shame from my point of view because I enjoyed doing them - but nobody ever read them anyway by the sounds of it ;)
I always enjoyed them, Mike!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 am

mikeb wrote:There hasn't been an Eastern Promise in the mag for over a year, which is a shame from my point of view because I enjoyed doing them - but nobody ever read them anyway by the sounds of it ;)
I am at least 15 issues behind on my reading!

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:07 pm

The main reason I wouldn't want free gifts is because I don't ever want the magazine sealed in a bag. I know nearly everybody on this board is probably a subscriber to RG, so it doesn't matter to you. But there are always casual readers in the shop who have to decide whether to spend £4.99 on the mag this month and they'll want to flick through it to weigh up the content. Every other magazine annoys me once in a while because they seal it. I'm glad RG doesn't do that.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 pm

SqueakyG wrote:The main reason I wouldn't want free gifts is because I don't ever want the magazine sealed in a bag. I know nearly everybody on this board is probably a subscriber to RG, so it doesn't matter to you. But there are always casual readers in the shop who have to decide whether to spend £4.99 on the mag this month and they'll want to flick through it to weigh up the content. Every other magazine annoys me once in a while because they seal it. I'm glad RG doesn't do that.
I'm with you on this... I didn't buy Games TM last month as it was sealed in a bag and had no visible clue as to what articles it contained. It could have had the best retro articles in the world, but I'm not paying £4+ to find out.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:00 pm

The sad thing is, sales sometimes go up when mags are bagged, so I'm actually surprised RG hasn't tried this. I'm pretty glad the publisher hasn't, though.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:32 pm

It's only because people think there's nipples in there, though.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Id like the mag to be less anal tbh

I appreciate it is authoritative but that doesnt mean that it has to be written in such a dry style.. Some humour wouldnt go amiss.
Not this. I'd say it gets it mostly spot on, but the attempts at humour are generally weak. If anything, I'd ditch some of the sillier elements of the mag, like the 'A-Z of...' in articles, or the similar 'number' ones, where its just random garbage about the game either made up or in no context.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.