Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

FatTrucker

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Megamixer wrote:
clarance wrote:NO articles on obscure Japanese stuff please, hate it, massively over-rated (and almost irrelevant when the stuff didn't achieve a UK release)
I can see where you're coming from but many - like me - would strongly disagree. I wouldn't suggest upping the Japanese coverage but cutting it down to zero is harsh. The magazine would definitely appeal to me a lot less if that happened - just my point of view.
I completely agree. I love finding out/reading about the obscure, unusual or just plain bonkers stuff that was deemed too alien for societies that only had one use for underwear.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Keep up the iconic screenshot-type covers. They're wonderful and eye catching!
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Free gifts but not tips books
More unconverted
The Double Dragon, Space Harrier Op Wolf Articles which the name escapes me, more of them
Those full page adverts of old games like you used to do..
Get rid of the PD
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Jet Pilot wrote: They shouldn't cut out anything that has to do with Retro Gaming. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it has no relevance for the gaming industry. Some people here don't like Mario or Japanese gaming for one reason or another, however to just dismiss the impact that sector has had on the worldwide game industry over the past 30 years would be to ignore a huge part of the medium's history. How could RG truly claim to be the definitive word on Retro Gaming if the magazine ignored such a large segment of the market?
Thou speaketh the truth.

I'll freely admit that I have almost no interest in the computers from the 80's but would I say get rid of them? No. As much as I never intend to get into the machines in question, I still read the articles because they're informative and often interesting (the interviews with the developers and how the got up and running for example). I can always skip them if I want to.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Shinobi wrote:Free gifts
No such thing. Either it pushes up the cover price or subs prices or reduces the budget. The only exception is if the item is advertising-based, 'donated' by a third-party.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:16 pm

No free gifts, there's plenty of freebies via PD if you expand that section for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm

PS2 coverage
More John Sckezpaniak (sp) articles.
More import games, oddities and rarities.
Stu Campbell excercising his opinion on matters.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Keep up the iconic screenshot-type covers. They're wonderful and eye catching!
I agree, except for number 3 - the odd one out in your statement!
smila wrote:More C64. Less Amstrad/spectrum. Otherwise perfect :wink:
Almost the perfect feedback - I would edit it slightly though....
More C64 & Vic 20, Less Spectrum and never mention Amstrad again.

Ok, something constructive - More indepth arcade game features, but they must have at least 1 page on the home conversions
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Besides Fortean Times and Crikey, Retro Gamer is the only "good" magazine in the shops these days, and I love it. The way us lot are represented each month, the way it's so colourful compared to every other gaming magazine, the fact that pretty much any game that's covered, I can be playing it within ten minutes (emulation!). It's all good, but since you're asking for how we'd improve it...

-I agree with Ant, some handheld/tabletop stuff would be lovely.
-It'd be great if ALL of you were as opinionated as Mr. Campbell is. It's not like the publishers will stop you buying their old games on eBay if you say nasty things about them.
-Expanding the homebrew section would be a nice thing.
-As would a monthly feature about shareware games.
-LOTS more of the "odd" stuff - the Unconverted, Retro Shamer, that bit where you talk about games that weren't brought to these shores.
-"Back to the Noughties"
-Don't ever stop with the Retroinspections - there's still dozens upon dozens of systems you haven't covered yet (a feature on the Super A'Can would be most welcome).
-Maybe a pull-out thing in the middle each month, each one aiming to "re-produce" a classic magazine such as Mean Machines, Sega Power, CVG, Crash or Super Play or something.

Regardless of all that, I'm happy with the magazine as it is. With regard to covering stuff that'll appeal to our friends overseas, go for it. But if you EVER use the term "Sega Genesis", I will not be happy!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:09 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Besides Fortean Times and Crikey, Retro Gamer is the only "good" magazine in the shops these days
Damn straight! Well, not sure what Crikey is but in 100% agreement on FT, especially Phenomenomix and Myth Conceptions, Hunt Emerson is trully the god of comic strips.

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:14 am

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Keep up the iconic screenshot-type covers. They're wonderful and eye catching!
I absolutely agree with this. The best covers have always been the screenshot ones and they give the mag a great graphic consistency. The Rainbow Islands and the new Axelay ones are stonkers!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 am

Iconic, colourful (or monochrome) covers are a big part of RG's charm - (the Lara Cover really got lost in news stand for example ).

But please, no 'free' gifts - I stopped buying N Gamer partly as I was fed up of the magazine getting thinner and the 'gifts' getting bigger......

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:-It'd be great if ALL of you were as opinionated as Mr. Campbell is. It's not like the publishers will stop you buying their old games on eBay if you say nasty things about them.
I think there needs to be a balance between reportage and opinion, seriousness and irreverence. Personally, I think it's good that most of the making-ofs are fairly straight—I know I typically write mine to let the personalities of the devs shine through, rather than making it "Craig's opinion on game x, also featuring special guests, the developers!" There are cases where personality is starting to come out more, though, notably in the smaller features. (Frankly, I was pretty shocked the mag printed my Bill & Ted piece in the current issue almost word-for-word with no editing. I had a lot of fun with it, and it's very irreverent, but I thought it'd be edited quite heavily. It's a good sign that it wasn't, in my opinion.)

I do think there's some room in the larger overview features (such as the ones on Lara Croft or videogame series) for the magazine's 'voice' to shine through; however, that would also require more articles to be credited, and a lot of the in-house ones aren't (although I've noticed that Darran and Stuart are applying their names to more stuff they write these days—a good thing).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:04 am

Bring back the RG merch! Costly? Make it limited! Special mugs... Space War T-shirts... a coaster with Darran's big face on it! I'd buy em all!

Introduce a mascot! Video boy or something! He could have a comic strip and it could be drawn by Oli Frey! (Actually, bring back Jet-Man for one issue! Crash fans have yet to see the ending!)

No, what we really need is a massive RG event! Never mind stuff like R3tro and all that stuff. We want a genuine RG show! Matthew Smith Q and A, nerdy blokes with their Vectrex collection, punch and pie!

Okay so this was all in jest but I'd keep going for something completely left field and unexpected. The best RG issues are the ones that catch me out.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I'd like to see some stuff on classic gaming rivalries.

One of the things I remember most about gaming from my younger days is how many arguements there were about the top games of the time. You only have to read this forum to see that even now, as adults, we are all capable of getting into slangi.....debates regarding the latest games (VF v Tekken, BFBC v MW etc).

Would be nice for the mag to do something like a small article on something like Sensi v Kick Off or Street Fighter v Mortal Kombat (there are hundreds to choose from). Something like this would be sure to stimulate debate and perhaps forum members could be invited to play both games and see if 20 years later they would still choose the same game as the better version.