Improving the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Improving the magazine

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 am

Hi guys :)

As many of you know we're now on our 80th issue, which is a pretty decent achievement for the type of magazine we are. Stuart and myself have plenty of exciting ideas for future issues of the magazine, but we're interested in your feedback. Ultimately, we want to make the best magazine possible, so let us know of any improvements you'd like to see. What does RG do well? Is it balanced? What's missing?

Any constructive feedback you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Darran

Jet Pilot

Re: Improving the magazine

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 am

80 issues and still no Mario feature? :(
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:54 am

Jet Pilot wrote:80 issues and still no Mario feature? :(
Will that improve the magazine though?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:07 am

Its difficult to pinpoint anything. In terms of content apart from the regular features (which are great) its different every month. Loving newer stuff like the Unconverted and would welcome any expansion in that area.

The ebay section is much better than it used to be but is still more or less irrelevant filler. Would love to see a return of more old game ads/artwork/boxart. IMO copyright issues notwithstanding this would be a much more effective way to fill the extra pages that need to be there at little to no cost.

There's very little to criticise that wouldn't just amount to a personal request to 'please cover game/character/developer x, y, or z'. I even read the f**king iphone stuff now.

Definitely wouldn't like to see any more space devoted to modern stuff, the balance is pretty good at the mo. As for xbox, PS1, etc. Its 2 generations old now and IMO there's some fantastic stuff that could and should be explored there.

When costs allow more one off specials would be great, like John Szepaniak's (or however the bloody hell its spelt) gaming Illuminati feature last year.

I think the current way forum discussion is integrated into features is a much better way to do it than having a dedicated 'from the forum' section.

Perhaps a page or so aimed specifically at overseas readers?. Consistent complaints from readers outside the EU are that the mag (being a UK publication) is too focussed on the EU gaming scene. I'm sure a lot of gamers over here would still find it interesting and now that there seem to be a number of overseas subs it would be nice if its affordable to give them a little recognition in terms of content.

Overall mate there's very little to criticise. If it ain't broke...........
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 am

For me the more stuff you can pack in from the 80's the better, be they screen shots, promotional material from the time, interviews etc, but that wouldn't please everyone I guess.

It's hard to know. Issue 78 got the balance between satisfying the old timers & the console kids pretty much spot on.

TBH it's best not listening to me for advice anyway, I'd just pack the magazine with Spectrum related stuff & rename it "Your Sinclair".
FatTrucker wrote:Perhaps a page or so aimed specifically at overseas readers?.
I disagree, there's already enough stuff in the mag that has no relevance to those brought up in the UK. It's a British mag, why shouldn't it be UK centric? If, for example I subscribed to some Yank soccer mag I wouldn't expect to find pages to be devoted to the Irish Premier League.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 am

Oh, and bring back Archer. Always looked forward to that little section of the mag.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 am

the_hawk wrote:
I disagree, there's already enough stuff in the mag that has no relevance to those brought up in the UK. It's a British mag, why shouldn't it be UK centric? If, for example I subscribed to some Yank soccer mag I wouldn't expect to find pages to be devoted to the Irish Premier League.
Because gaming is global and as much as I like reading about stuff I have owned and played, I equally enjoy finding out about stuff that I missed out on or differences between what we got and what they got, how gaming culture developed in the US and Japan, what divides us, what we shared, etc, etc.

Case in point is the NES, barely made a whisper over here, but in the US it was as common as Toasters. Having discovered and played a lot of NES games much later in life, I was amazed to find that there was this massively supported machine there all along with hundreds of games that eclipsed the stuff I had been playing on my Master System.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 am

Keep it coming. Oh and this just turned up...
image.jpeg
It's the new cover
image.jpeg (360.58 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Jet Pilot wrote:80 issues and still no Mario feature? :(
Will that improve the magazine though?
Absolutely! :D
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 am

Now thats a sexy cover!.

Would be nice if Imagine commissioned a one off calender/poster book/bookazine/coffee table book featuring all the RG covers and maybe some other game ads/flyers etc thrown in to break it up.
Mostly they really are good enough to reproduce and stick on a games room wall.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 am

Fair enough FT, I guess some of the articles featuring overseas stuff I've never heard of have turned out to be very enlightening.

That cover Awesome! I've only just started the Rainbow Islands issue, I guess I'd better get a move on.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:42 am

Personally feel the balance is just about right, i`d echo what Mr Fat Trucker said on the Ebay stuff being filler material, but then i gave up on Ebay long ago, so it`s a minor gripe.There are a stack of people i`d love to see interviewed, but as has been mentioned before, trying to find them,let alone get an interview from them can be an issue in itself.I would love to see a few more industry legends do a monthy column, rather than some minor 'Celb', but it`s horses for courses.I`m wary of suggesting too many changes as RG is the magazine i spend vast majority of my time reading.Some fine tuning rather than replacing parts is best i`d suggest.More Oli Frey art in any form would be fantastic, Erm like to see the Dan Dare games covered in depth, but that`s about it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:32 am

Purely from a reader standpoint, rather than as a contributor, I think the mag's mostly fine, and pretty well balanced. It'd be nice if it could be a little more irreverent sometimes (without turning into 'silly')—it's a little dry in places. I'd also like to see the mag become a little less dense layout-wise. There's been a tendency for screen grabs to become microscopic, surrounded by tons of text. I know this provides the perception of value, but making-ofs like Micro Machines suffer terribly when this happens.

Features-wise, the only thing I'd like to see killed is the eBay/buyer guide spread (which, unless I'm mistaken, wasn't in #79). It's a waste of space, and it's not updated enough to be worthwhile from a value standpoint. I'd sooner see the collection stuff welded to an expanded letters page, which could also flag one or two interesting auctions. Alternatively, leave the letters page with its current count and shove another reader RR in the mag every month, or just give one or two of the making-ofs more space to breathe.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

Its funny, the first place I go to is the ebay section when I buy the mag. I was going to suggest more on collecting, value and price fluctuations but I get the impression that I might be alone in that sentiment!!

As fat trucker said - if it aint broke!!!

congratulations on 80 issues :-)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:50 am

80 issues and still no Mario feature :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords